Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Robinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I know this has been out for ages but I just picked up the non-hybrid (single layer) SACD at BestBuy. I think they are clearing them out due to a hybrid being available now (I believe). Anyway, it was $13.99 Canadian. Heads up to those that are interested in picking it up. The mix is quite discrete and sound fantastic when compared to the CD. Doesn't even sound like the same recording. It has lots of headroom as well. Some SACD's need turning way up to get them to the level I like. This one is more like a DVD-A in that it reaches that level at lot sooner on the volume dial. Anyway, definately recommended.

Guy Robinson said:
I know this has been out for ages but I just picked up the non-hybrid (single layer) SACD at BestBuy. I think they are clearing them out due to a hybrid being available now (I believe). Anyway, it was $13.99 Canadian. Heads up to those that are interested in picking it up. The mix is quite discrete and sound fantastic when compared to the CD. Doesn't even sound like the same recording. It has lots of headroom as well. Some SACD's need turning way up to get them to the level I like. This one is more like a DVD-A in that it reaches that level at lot sooner on the volume dial. Anyway, definately recommended.

I'd recommend the Hybrid Surround Sound SACD edition. It's said to feature the original 4 channel mix from the '70s. I never owned this one in the Quad era, so I can't verify that claim. But I do like the Surround Mix.

The only gotcha on the disc is that the guitar sometimes sounds a bit distorted - but I suspect that's on the master tape itself and can't be fixed.

bmoura said:
I'd recommend the Hybrid Surround Sound SACD edition. It's said to feature the original 4 channel mix from the '70s. I never owned this one in the Quad era, so I can't verify that claim. But I do like the Surround Mix.

The only gotcha on the disc is that the guitar sometimes sounds a bit distorted - but I suspect that's on the master tape itself and can't be fixed.

So did they use a different mix for the Single Layer SACD? I love the discreteness of it anyway. The guitars are in the rear channels quite often. The guitar is supposed to sound distorted as that was the intent.

Guy Robinson said:
So did they use a different mix for the Single Layer SACD? I love the discreteness of it anyway. The guitars are in the rear channels quite often. The guitar is supposed to sound distorted as that was the intent.

I suspect that this is the original Quad mix as well as there is no center channel. The sub channel has been added though.

Ahh, but the lack of a center channel on the sq mix is not so big a loss, as much of the solo guitar work is actually center REAR on this disc! I have owned it since new, and its wonderful. I am guessing that the SACD is not the same mix?
Marc

Marcsten said:
Ahh, but the lack of a center channel on the sq mix is not so big a loss, as much of the solo guitar work is actually center REAR on this disc! I have owned it since new, and its wonderful. I am guessing that the SACD is not the same mix?
Marc

The guitars are generally in the rear speakers. I don't own the SQ so I don't know whether it is the same mix. It sounds fantastic anyway. Very discrete. Tons of bass. Very warm sound.

I started out with Q8 tape on Blow By Blow brand new in 1975 and the SACD mix is exactly the same to me. Much of the guitar work is across the back with backing instruments across the front with few exceptions. Since that was the way I first heard it, seems correct. (but always a subjective matter)

Back