Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today as well from the Shed. Corner of the boxing package was crushed, but the main article was fine, whew. I'm about three songs
in and enjoying what SW is doing with the synths, lol. I'll admit, I had never heard this album before, having stopped my Tull intake pretty much
after SftW back in the day. Will give it a fair listen or two and do the poll.

[edit: Haven't played the German concert yet, and I have an Oppo . . . finger's x'd, there have been other issues (including replacement disks) in the series, but none have touched me so far, knock on wood.]
Should be fine~

Is the X800M2 capable of playing multi-channel FLACs via its USB port? If so, I may consider purchasing one as a backup to my Oppo 203.
I bought one as an Oppo 203 back-up, it plays surround DSD & FLACs from my NAS on the network. I haven't tried it with a USB stick, but 'usually' if a machine plays a format via a network it will from USB, but not always the other way round! What I have found is it doesn't show embedded covers or use the folder.jpg cover image I usually have - there may be a setting but I have only just powered it up for the first time last weekend and connected to my new Denon AVC-X8500HA.

I finally got a chance to listen to the main album last night. The relatively low volume of this album on various releases over the years continues to be evident on this version, although it is definitely improved. Otherwise, Steven Wilson's mix is the usual top-notch presentation. The openings of "The Clasp" and "Watching Me, Watching You" are demo-worthy. The surround mix also opens up the instrumentation so that I'm hearing parts I hadn't really noticed before. FWIW, I agree with everyone else that the release mechanisms for the six discs housed in the covers are infuriating.

My copy arrived from Burning Shed today, also in great shape. Nice coaster, although I’d be terrified to use it and mess it up. If it had been a magnet format, I’d slap it on the fridge in a second.

Autographed on the back by Ian, although I don’t recall now if that was supposed to be a true sig or a stamped one.
I suspect the signature is just printed, looks a bit too even to be real, here's a scan of mine to compare.

Anderson Sig.jpg

Playing as I type this on our Oppo203. Not a single problem at all. (going back through again) Maybe there is a light smudge on the disc, or some dust on laser? Man...this set is awesome. We own a dvd/cd laser cleaner that helped (fixed) an old cd player once. Some time back. Hope you get this working..maybe a replacement otherwise. Good luck to ya ~Mike
Thanks Mike, I checked the disc, it looked fine and then I popped it in my PlayStation 4 and there were no issues while playing. Typically, my oppo plays discs flawlessly, so I was surprised when it happened.

I got the X800M2 for 2 specific reasons: 1-Dolby Vision support and 2-Another backup universal disc player (BD, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, DTS-CD, CD) that can also handle a wide variety of file formats via thumb drive.

My older X800 has gotten a bit flaky with some disc playback, especially if I navigate back and forth on a disc or stop on a frame, and it will occasionally freeze up requiring a power cycle to clear. However, I've had no such issues with the X800M2, but it's new. I also have an OPPO 203 which is my default player, an OPPO 103 and a Sony PS5 which can be another backup machine but has some limitations for movie and music playback. Interestingly, I've run across just a couple of 4k discs that will not reliably play on the OPPO 203 but play just fine on both Sonys. Fortunately I have not encountered any BD or DVD that won't play on all of my machines. But given today's media playback complexities, I don't think you can have too many backup options. For the price and functionality, the X800M2 is a bargain.
Thank you very much. Getting a Sony X800M2.

Cheers!

Flat transfers? Untouched by Steven Wilson is my guess. Filed under original 1981 master mixes/early 1982 rough mixes/1988 remixes
ORIGINAL 1981 MASTER MIXES
Early master mixes prepared in July 1981. The master mix of ‘Watching Me, Watching You’ used on the album was also prepared during these mixing sessions.
Beastie
Too Many Too
I’m Your Gun
Down At The End Of Your Road
Jack Frost And The Hooded Crow

Jethro Tull - "Jack-a-Lynn" Anthology - 1978-1992 - Early Versions, Demos, Rare and Live

1 - Demo 1978 - Early Version
2 - Acoustic Version, 1981
3 - Band - Early Version [DEMO] 1981
4 - Band - Final Version, 1981
5 - Band - 1981, 40th Anniversary Remixed Version
6 - Band - Re-recorded Version, Quaint Village Hall, Beacons Bottom, 1992
7 - Live on Radio - Stripped Version Live at Electric Ladyland Studios, New York City, 1991
8 - Live in Istanbul - 1991

What an incredible surround mix this is! This was the first Tull album I ever heard - a mate at University lent me his (vinyl) copy. It blew me away then and it still does now, and the 5.1 is everything I had hoped it would be! :)

My one criticism is that the mastering is a little on the "bright" side, but that's just the way things were done in the '80s, so it's forgiven. :)

...oh, and whoever thought those disc holders were a good idea should be sentenced to taking discs in and out for the rest of eternity!

What an incredible surround mix this is! This was the first Tull album I ever heard - a mate at University lent me his (vinyl) copy. It blew me away then and it still does now, and the 5.1 is everything I had hoped it would be! :)

My one criticism is that the mastering is a little on the "bright" side, but that's just the way things were done in the '80s, so it's forgiven. :)

...oh, and whoever thought those disc holders were a good idea should be sentenced to taking discs in and out for the rest of eternity!
Disc purgatory - yes, for sure.

Although I have found that if I push the disc completely down toward the 2 springs at the bottom, then pivot the disc about the bottom and lift it away from the left hand side tab, it comes out fairly consistently.

Back