Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very frustrated with importCDs; tried to buy from them but the order would never go through. They're saying they can't ship to my address.

I've ordered from them many times before and don't remember ever seeing this.

I noticed in the final screen for shipment it is leaving out my zip code, which seems like a glitch in their system, as I've input it several times.

Never liked importCDs anyway (OPM), but it's gonna cost me extra to get it elsewhere. 😒
I have had the same issue with ImportCDs. They always tell me my address is not valid. But then they always give me the choice of an alternate address with the only thing different is my zip code. ImportCDs likes to use your nine digit zip code. Once you put in your nine digit zip code they will take your order.
You might want to try this, if or when you place your next order.

I have had the same issue with ImportCDs. They always tell me my address is not valid. But then they always give me the choice of an alternate address with the only thing different is my zip code. ImportCDs likes to use your nine digit zip code. Once you put in your nine digit zip code they will take your order.
You might want to try this, if or when you place your next order.
Yeah, I eventually thought of that also at the time; but it still didn't like it 🤷‍♂️

anyway, got my swingin' Broadsword on, like a giddy sailor after a Saturday night at the wharf side brothel

For those still looking for this Amazon has dropped their price to 58.47 with freed delivery
You have to be a Prime Member but they appear to have a 30 day free offer, so that’s covered as long as one cancels it before it starts costing you.
Will probably go this route, a heck of a lot cheaper than Amazon Canada

Not to over-think this, but here are some theories as to why there might not be Atmos so far...

1. Wilson was contracted to do this some time back as 5.1. Budgets meant that DVDs were it, not Blu-rays for Atmos. Or even a budget for an extra mix. I’m not sure how long ago Wilson did this particular mix as we know some mixes he’s done have sit for a long time before release.

2. Thinking ahead, record companies want to find ways that an artist's catalog continues to generate revenue year after year. So, finish the 5.1 series (however long it will go) then move on to Atmos-only releases of all or certain albums. As long as the fan base is still alive, there’s no reason not to find news ways to separate us from our money.

3. No plan for Atmos by the label, no desire for Atmos. Hoping that’s not the case. Not even thinking it is. But I think there might be only certain titles that get an Atmos mix.

With my track record for theories on why labels do what they do, I imagine all these are wrong.

Wilson was contracted to do this some time back as 5.1.
Yep, that's basically what he said when I asked him about it last year:
Ian Anderson recently announced that you’d remixed Jethro Tull’s Broadsword & The Beast (1982) in stereo & 5.1 for an upcoming deluxe edition. Do you believe this is your final remix for the Tull reissue series, or are there plans to rework Under Wraps (1984) and Crest Of A Knave (1987)?

Yeah, I did it a long time ago. I think at the beginning of lockdown? It’s the last one I’m doing for Tull and it’s massive. There’s something like 35 tracks in 5.1.

It’s one of the few projects I’ve done lately that’s exclusively 5.1, because the series has been on DVD since the beginning. I could go back and do everything in Atmos, but my role in the project is kind of finished for now.
It wouldn't surprise me if we eventually get some Tull in Atmos (Aqualung would probably the obvious choice), but I'd imagine nearly all the '70s titles would take precedence before this one.

For those still looking for this Amazon has dropped their price to $58.47 with free delivery
I finally caved today and bought it $108 au. I’ve never listened to the album although I’ve had it on vinyl for years.
Heard some tracks this morning and really liked Peter Vettese parts so went ahead !

Voted 9.
Point deducted for a lossy release in a lossless age.
Disc holders are annoying/concerning, but I have the 3 DVDs well-situated, now.
Excellent 4.1 and 5.1 mixing from Mr. Steven Wilson!
If you like this era of JT at all, this is a win.

Life in Surround Review

I know this is gonna rub people the wrong way, but after I FIGURED OUT how to insert/remove the discs, I kind of like the mechanics. It gives my fingers the exercise they need. Call me a fool!
giphy.gif

I actually bought a box set of the Back To The Future movie trilogy that used this same type of disc holder
I figured it out but I still don't like flexing the discs to get them in and out can't be good for them.

Not sure how great of a price this is but Amazon has this for under $59 as part of their Prime Days event.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB4SKBGF?tag=sdepcwus-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Same price importcds has had from day one.
Amazon prime members would save the $2.99 shipping, so there's that.

I'm not impressed with these Prime Days so-called bargains.

For example, I priced The Byrds 1964-1967 limited edition photo book last week, it was $80-something.
Yesterday, it was over $100, with a $21 Prime Days coupon it was still more than the week before.
Now back over $105, coupon offer withdrawn.

Got mine today ….I’m terrible with keys/locks and usually end up breaking something I was trying to open …so I better look online for how to take these discs out !

Back