DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - THE BROADSWORD AND THE BEAST [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - THE BROADSWORD AND THE BEAST

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new 40th anniversary edition of "Broadsword and the Beast" by Jethro Tull.
This new 40th anniversary edition features a brand new 5.1 mix of the album from Steven Wilson, along with a 2nd DVD featuring over 20 additional tracks also mixed in 5.1 surround, and a 3rd DVD also featuring an entire concert recorded in Germany in 1982 remixed in 4.1 surround

:)

jethro-tull_the-broadsword-and-the-beast-monster_boxset_2.png

jethro-tull_the-broadsword-and-the-beast-monster_boxset.png

Thank you Steven Wilson for the brilliant 5.1 mixes. Amazing experience. DVD #1 of the remixed album to 5.1 is a 10. DVD #2 of associated recordings in 5.1 was like listening to a new Tull album. DVD #3 of Live In German in 5.1 was totally immersive and I give it a 10. Also, it gave me a chance to hear songs in surround from out of print albums I can't afford.

Last edited:
I voted 9.
With Jethro Tull box sets it is very hard to not give high votes, great price, great content, Steven Wilson Remix's, it's all included. Superb reading and packaging.
The reason I voted 9 I think, is because the content (music) didn't grab me like others. Maybe because of the large keyboard sound?
That said, I loved the live recordings, associated recordings, demos, etc. much more than the actual album.
5 CD's: All beautiful in content and sound very good. I will complete listen in the car.
3 DVD-V's: Of course the star of the show. Listener should go right to the DVD's.
DVD1= Album plus more, a lot more. 5.1 and stereo.
DVD2=Associated music plus more. Note: this DVD you get one extra song than CD2. You also get when ripped an Easter Egg (End Game (Instrumental (Mar-Jul 1981 Sessions). 5.1 and stereo.
DVD3=Live In Germany 1982. Note: in 4.1.
Booklet: I encourage you to at least thumb through all pages and stop and read something that might grab you. There are no Steven Wilson remix notes.
Ripping: I ripped the 5 CD's with Windows Media Player to FLAC. 16bit/44.1 Khz. DR's are probably an average of 10-11, I am guessing based on my JRiver indicator.
The 3 DVD's I ripped using DVD Audio Extractor. Ripping time was fair, ripping tagging was excellent.
The 3 DVD's are all 24bit/96Khz. The Dynamic Range average is 13-14, I am guessing based on my JRiver indicator.
Playback:
Hard discs with Panasonic DP-UB9000, HDMI out, all played perfect.
Ripped discs with JRiver software player, PC, analog out.
There was a tiny thing, that I looked into my DSP settings on JRiver, that I was unable to correct. Such a small thing I decided not to let it bother me.
The ripped Live DVD at 4.1 played back with the tiny amount of some sound going to or bleeding to the center channel. I noticed this via the amp needle, but ear to speaker nothing?
The same hard disc, there was no issue, straight 4.1.

Thanks for reading, Keep Poll Posts To your Listening Experience Only.

As one of my all time favorite JT albums, I had to vote 10 on this superb, massive 8 disc reissue. This is easily the best of the 'electronic' keyboard oriented JT albums. It exhibits the best balance of signature JT acoustic folk-rock with electronic textures, resulting in one of their best progressive albums. The 5.1 surround mix is superb on both the main album as well as the huge number of associated recordings, plus a very well done 4.1 mix of an assembled live show taken from several concerts in Germany. Add to all that a large assortment of demos, early mixes, and a very detailed lengthy book, all housed in the signature book set packaging - this is obviously the best release in the series so far.

I'm not sure if any of the 6 remaining studio albums will receive this kind of deluxe reissue treatment, but if not this is a great one to end on. I for one hope they do continue, and would most like to see a deluxe reissue of Crest Of A Knave, in my view their last great album.

The 4DVD "Around the world live" includes part of a performance in Germany in 1982 ("Pussy Willow" and "Heavey Horses"). So you would expect that an entire performance was filmed at that time. In any case, it's a shame that none of that can be seen in this otherwise fantastic box. I enjoyed the new mix and the associated recordings. All familiar “Steven Wilson quality.” I had the most fun with the “Live in Germany” DVD. Once again it's a bit of a shame that images are missing. Nevertheless, a deserved 9.

I was unfamiliar with this album until getting this surround sound release. There's some fine material here with electronic overtones as others have mentioned, yet it still has a good bit of the "Brave Sir Robin ran away" stuff, which I personally love to death.

What befuddles me is how Rolling Stone could only give this album 2 stars. Bruce Eder on Allmusic.com gave it only 1-1/2 stars. o_O Hmmm, all I can think of is that these reviewers must have been suffering from really bad hemorrhoid attacks 🥵, and were in such foul moods that they panned such a good album to this extent.

Steven Wilson's mix is top shelf as usual, but he had 24 track masters to work with; so I am much more impressed by his wizardry on something like Who's Next.

Nice package, but I doubt if I'll listen to the extra material unless someone has high recommendations for a few specific tracks.

I'm giving this a very strong 9. (Aqualung is a 10.)

Nice package, but I doubt if I'll listen to the extra material unless someone has high recommendations for a few specific tracks.
Definitely check out DVD 2! For me, a lot of the 'associated recordings' are superior to the album proper - tracks like "Lights Out", "The Curse", "Inverness Sleeper", and "Overhang" are really good (and the 5.1 mixes are a bit more adventurous than the album tracks). I also really loved the guitar-led instrumental "Calafel", great performance by Martin Barre on that one.
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/jet...niversary-monster-edition-5-1-surround-sound/

Definitely check out DVD 2! For me, a lot of the 'associated recordings' are superior to the album proper - tracks like "Lights Out", "The Curse", "Inverness Sleeper", and "Overhang" are really good (and the 5.1 mixes are a bit more adventurous than the album tracks). I also really loved the guitar-led instrumental "Calafel", great performance by Martin Barre on that one.
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/jet...niversary-monster-edition-5-1-surround-sound/
Overhang in surround is my favourite. Love Too Many Too & Down At the End Of Your Road (is my warning to NY Jets fans). haha

We've finally come full circle!
I have the MFSL vinyl for Aqualung and Broadsword. These were the most audiophile Tull albums. I did have original UK pressings for Brick and Passion Play though and they were actually exceptional if not quite MFSL level. So I wasn't sure how much of a fidelity improvement and mix improvement to expect here.

Of course the mix and fidelity still surprised and take this to the next level! Much more than I would have guessed just like all the rest. This is the last JT album for me. The 'modern' sounding one but it's still JT.

Turns out they picked the best outtakes for the "20 Years of JT" once again of course but all the extra outtakes are great to have and especially with real mixes (ie. album quality attention to detail instead of a mastered up rough mix). The live show has some sound struggles initially but settles in well. Seems like the mix was probably a lot of damage control in places but comes across as very well done. Serious bonus points again for being a real mix and not just rough scraps thrown together.

Not sure what else to say about the album mix besides put it on and turn it up!

Another exceptional 5.1 album from Tull and Steven Wilson. I want to comment on the extras particularly the Live in Germany 4.1 disc. It is incredibly good for a live concert and the set list is exceptional. This almost reads like a live "Best of" in surround sound. I don't know how you can ask for more than this. In my opinion, this disc makes the whole incredible package worth the heftier price. Definitely a 10 for me.

Back