John Lennon - Imagine SQ LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaap74

Just picked up John Lennon - Imagine SQ Quad LP in a 2nd hand store for AUD 18.00.

What a pity I don't have the gear to hear it in Quad :( Oh well, at least I can still play it in stereo

Not the most discrete quad experience anyway...

The way the mix and separation are on the quad version, the more rocking tracks almost sound like '4-channel duophonic': clattering, slightly delayed-between-channels density that is impressive at high volume but offers no real separation most of us could discern. On the other hand, how much of a quad recording could something like the title track have been anyway? Anyway, it's a mess of a quad mix, so the later DVD compilation of Lennon's material had to be an improvement, however modest, and it was....

ED :)

A 9 for performance and a 1 for the Quad mix. This was one of my first Q8's (Green). I later bought a UK SQ, mostly as a collectable. I've had a 2ch LP and have UK CD, MoFi Gold CD and last year's Lennon Collection remaster. The album was never recorded that well to begin with. An import 2ch LP, MoFi Gold CD, MoFi 1/2 speed LP or the newly remastered CD are all better listens than this Quad. Synthesize! The surround mixes on the Gimme Some Truth DVD are better.

Linda
Caveat Emptor

Back