John Mayer, Heavier Things

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'd heard one of John Mayer's songs many times but never knew who it was....always liked it though ......turns out it's Bigger Than My Body, from Heavier Things. This is a great 5.1 disc. Really nice use of the rears....nice bass and overall a pretty warm sounding SACD. The music is great as well....mellow but with a bit of an edge. He's a great guitar player too!

daved64 said:
I'd heard one of John Mayer's songs many times but never knew who it was....always liked it though ......turns out it's Bigger Than My Body, from Heavier Things. This is a great 5.1 disc. Really nice use of the rears....nice bass and overall a pretty warm sounding SACD. The music is great as well....mellow but with a bit of an edge. He's a great guitar player too!
Agreed... I liked this album in stereo but it really opens up alot more in 5.1. Crisp clean recording... nice use of the rears... GREAT bass... and some pretty nice songs as well. All in all.... about an 8.5-9 out of 10 for me.

It was nice to see new product from someplace other than Universal for a change.

Not to be rude but what disc are you guys listening to? The 5.1 mix is horrible. The rears sound just like echos of the fronts. The horrible compression is still there that was on the regular CD. Over at hometheaterforum they agree and say stay away from the disc!

Savageone79 said:
Not to be rude but what disc are you guys listening to? The 5.1 mix is horrible. The rears sound just like echos of the fronts. The horrible compression is still there that was on the regular CD. Over at hometheaterforum they agree and say stay away from the disc!
I must have a retarded system then, because I hear a VERY discrete mix. Yes, there is compression, but that's how Jack Joseph Puig records everything. It's in the tape. So I will stand by my original thoughts.

daved64 said:
I must have a retarded system then, because I hear a VERY discrete mix. Yes, there is compression, but that's how Jack Joseph Puig records everything. It's in the tape. So I will stand by my original thoughts.
Ditto... The only thing I would add is... One man's trash is another man's treasure... and IIIIIIIII like it!!!!

Well tell me a song and a particular part that you think shows off the good discreet mix you hear and I will try it out on my sacd and see what I think?

Thanks!

Savageone79 said:
Well tell me a song and a particular part that you think shows off the good discreet mix you hear and I will try it out on my sacd and see what I think?

Thanks!
I'll sit down tomorrow and see.......it sounded good to me, but hey, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

If you're wrong....promise me you'll go away? :D

This title was getting killed over at SH. Too much compression, too little seperation. Now I will have to try it out for myself......

Ok......so I ran around the room like a mental case from speaker to speaker.......no, it's not Yoshimi.....there is a lot of similar info in the fronts and the rears. A lot of the time there are some extra guitars in the center or fronts which are not in the rears....and the vocal echos get thrown to the rears....so NO it is not a "super discrete" mix, but there's some differences between front and rears speakers at times. I still enjoy it....I really like the music, which is really what it's about, isn't it? As far as the compression goes....Jack Joseph Puig, the producer....is known for it...it's his sound.

So, you can go back to hometheater and tell them what an idiot I am!

I honestly was not wanting to be rude at all! I love this album and so wanted to be wrong or maybe think that my setup wasn't very good so I was hoping to find some parts I could focus on to get an Idea of what I missed! Sorry if it came off as being snide or rude. Wasn't meant to be :)

Savageone79 said:
I honestly was not wanting to be rude at all! I love this album and so wanted to be wrong or maybe think that my setup wasn't very good so I was hoping to find some parts I could focus on to get an Idea of what I missed! Sorry if it came off as being snide or rude. Wasn't meant to be :)
Oh, you don't know me well......I'm just foolin around.
I still like it, but I've liked other discs that are supposed to suck (Peter Tosh....Tapestry).

If you want another example of Jack Joseph Puig's sound....put on The Black Crows "Amorica".....there's that crunchy drum sound......those guitars sounding like they're coming out of a caulking gun.....it's a big sonic mush. That's his sound.

I DO like how he puts the vocal delays in the rears on the Mayer disc.....that's kind cool.

daved64 said:
If you want another example of Jack Joseph Puig's sound....put on The Black Crows "Amorica".....there's that crunchy drum sound......those guitars sounding like they're coming out of a caulking gun.....it's a big sonic mush. That's his sound.
I've always thought Amorica was a great album stuck behind a lousy production. (Actually, I think that of a number of the Crowes albums) At least now I know who to blame. Haven't heard the Mayer album.

KW

Back