SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well - more web site weirdness. I ordered the box, plus added the Rumours and Doors Atmos discs, paid with PayPal, went through the whole deal, then pressed 'Complete Order' and nothing happened. It just sat there. The button was faded out, and nothing.

So I checked PayPal and no payment had been processed, so I switched from FireFox to Edge, did the whole thing over again, and this time it went through. Very strange. Something is amiss somewhere, not sure if it's on Rhino's end or with Firefox, but the order went in smooth as silk using Edge.

Just an FYI for those who have issues like me! :oops:
I had the same issue John. Eventually tried a different laptop as nothing else seemed to work! Finally got it to work that way. Hope you are able to get your order in.

For me, the secret recipe for consistent, non-anger inducing ordering has been Chrome and a PayPal account that is already linked to Rhino so I don’t even need to enter anything for payment. Which is a really scary position to put oneself in considering all the great stuff they’re producing these days.

I ordered this morning before thinking about it too deeply. I’m not exactly a fan of hers... never owned any of her music but certainly know certain songs.

However, it feels Rhino is knocking it out the park these days with quality releases, so if I’m going to dive into someone’s work for the first time, this seems like a great place to start.

The phases of a surround release:
-Anticipation of Rumored Release - This is by far my favorite phase… most everyone is excited, wondering what will be included and who did the mix; only a few grumblers wishing something else was being released
-Official Announcement of Release - The facts come in and excitement may go up because Steven Wilson did the mix and a stand alone Bluray is available, or it may go down because an unknown engineer mixed it and it’s buried in an expensive boxed set
-Ordering and Delivery Discussion - This is a painful time that is best ignored while reading other threads about anticipated rumored releases
-Listening and Discussion of the Mix - This could be a glorious time or a very sad time, but in either case don’t worry, because the discussion quickly shifts to the next dream surround mix 😁
Yeah, not a fan of the Ordering and Delivery Discussions either

But bring on Asylum Years Part II! 🙂

Yeah, not a fan of the Ordering and Delivery Discussions either

But bring on Asylum Years Part II! 🙂
Here's what I'm curious about myself: What does everyone plan on listening to first from this release? 🤔

I'm personally waiting to order it until later, but I'm honestly not sure what I'd approach first. Should I go for the new Atmos mixes? What album? Or should I go for the unreleased Miles of Aisles quad mix or the new For the Roses quad mix?

Here's what I'm curious about myself: What does everyone plan on listening to first from this release? 🤔

I'm personally waiting to order it until later, but I'm honestly not sure what I'd approach first. Should I go for the new Atmos mixes? What album? Or should I go for the unreleased Miles of Aisles quad mix or the new For the Roses quad mix?
Good question. I’ll probably listen in chronological order, as that’s my OCD thing. 🙂. But quad or Atmos first? Well, I’ve already streamed the Atmos so I guess I might go quad first.

Yeah “Court” in Atmos would seem to be going for the top and working your way down from there. I’m going to start with the quad “Court” and then “Hissing” because they are the two original QuadaDisc releases, and I’m interested in hearing how the tapes held up and how the transfers are here. And of course the mixes I’ve not yet heard decoded correctly.

Amazing albums no matter where one begins.

But I am dying to know what the live album sounds like in quad.

Any chance of these being available separately?
Only interested in "Hissing...
Please bring on the Jaco albums as there is where my interest is at!

Yes.
Art by Joni, from 1971.
Published in this hardback book in 2019, would make a nice companion to this set for fans who don't have it already.

Apparently supply exceeded demand, I got one new on Amazon at 90% off the $40 list price.
Plenty of cheap copies circulating for anyone who's interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0358181720

View attachment 104555
I actually purchased this exquisite book from AmazonUS in August of 2020 brand new for $4.04 w/free Prime s/h!

I can’t see them doing a Reprise Years box because I’m not sure what can really be done with Song to a Seagull and Clouds in terms of a good multichannel mix, but I do hope they do standalone releases of Ladies of the Canyon and Blue, with new quad and Atmos mixes 😁

I’m dying to hear a good surround mix of the studio version of Woodstock.

I couldn't at the time understand why Rhino released this exact red book CD boxset (albeit newly remastered) as a stand-alone (i.e. no Quadio's, Atmos mix, etc.). Now, at $79 full retail, this IS good value for the money, and I am glad that my bet paid off and I waited for this release. In my former professional life as a marketing analyst/sales planner for a major pharmaceutical company, I was always looking six (6) months and many times much further ahead to various "marketing events" that would definitely, probably or maybe occur in helping to put together product launches/promotions. The most straightforward being product launches (was it a product with no competition in an unfulfilled/emerging market or the 3rd product in an already satisfied/mature market, etc.). In Joni's case, she has had a couple of high-profile appearances, much of her music (aka physical product) has and will be celebrating milestone anniversaries and portions of said catalog that have not been widely available or useable to fans since the mid 70's and even that was questionable. Seemed like a no brainer to me. Looking forward to getting my Quadio box set in the next few days. Thanks Joni and thanks Rhino!

I wonder if these will eventually be available separately. Courts and Spark and For The Roses are automatic purchases. The other much less so. If say Ladies Of The Canyon had been included instead of one of the others...

Back