Kenwood KR-9940

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have many questions about this receiver because I am considering buying one. I have never heard one, but I have a KR-7050 which is very nice and has an unbelievable tuner. What use does the KR-9940 make of the extra (rear) channels? Can it synthesize quad from stereo sources like my Pioneer QX-8000a does? I found that a Sansui QRX-7500, while it has a nice stereo sound, just puts out a monaural signal from the rear channels if the source is stereo. The effect is very disappointing. The Pioneer does something different which is much more musical. What does the KR-9940 do with the rear channels? Also, what is the overall sound like? Is it well defined and airy or warm and tubey? There's damned little information out there about these units, hardly any about how they sound or synthesize quad.

I have many questions about this receiver because I am considering buying one. I have never heard one, but I have a KR-7050 which is very nice and has an unbelievable tuner. What use does the KR-9940 make of the extra (rear) channels? Can it synthesize quad from stereo sources like my Pioneer QX-8000a does? I found that a Sansui QRX-7500, while it has a nice stereo sound, just puts out a monaural signal from the rear channels if the source is stereo. The effect is very disappointing. The Pioneer does something different which is much more musical. What does the KR-9940 do with the rear channels? Also, what is the overall sound like? Is it well defined and airy or warm and tubey? There's damned little information out there about these units, hardly any about how they sound or synthesize quad.

The 9940 is a great receiver. I cant find anything to compare to it...and I have tried. The power is great. I have been thru many sets of speakers. Far as when 4 sets of speakers are going...there is no loss of power or stereo separation. The sound quality is great. I am using a set of Pioneer HPM-60's and a newer set of Yamaha 12's. I have never had a quad turntable...or 8 Track deck...or even reel to reel. I love the sound of this stereo. I am using 2 eq's (Realistic 12 band with expander and Pioneer 10 band SG 750.) A realistic 12db bass enhancer set at 12 db at 80hz, a Realistic Reverb unit all thru the no.1 tape monitor. I have a Realistic APM 300 200 watt meter hooked up to the output to watch the wattage. I have a Pioneer PL 230 turntable. I also have my computer hooked up to for music. It goes thru a realistic 5 channel mixing console. Hooked to the console is the computer, 2 reel to reels,(Teac A-4010s and a Akai X-1810) and 3 Pioneer cd changers. (one 301 and Two 101's) I will say it again...this is a great receiver. The Sansui QRX 7500 is close...but not as well equip. It has everything you could want. You cant go wrong. Mine has been punished for 25 years with no problems. What I mean by punished...parties, me just wanting to make my parents mad 25 years ago...me making the neighbors mad...and so on. It has been moved with me for 17 different states...and fixing to move again. This is the one you want.

Thanks for the useful information on the KR-9940. This is the most feedback I've ever seen about it. Obviously you've compared it to the Sansui QRX-7500 and agree with me the latter has some weaknesses. Have you ever compared it to any of the Pioneer quads like the QX-8000, QX-949, or QX-9900? I have the QX-8000A and it is a FANTASTIC receiver. The Pioneers always seem to be made fun of in comparison to the Sansui QRX-x001 series (which I have no experience of). But I love the sound quality of the QX-8000and QX-8000A and think they create a very rich 4-channel sound field from stereo sources. I have no quad LP's, tapes, etc., and no interest in acquiring any, although I AM very interested in multi-channel SACD's. I route 4-channel SACD's through the 4 AUX inputs of the Pioneer and set it to Discrete output. WOW! The sound is like being there. That's what I want to try with the KR-9940 if I'm lucky enough to get one.

To be truthful...I am a die hard Pioneer fan. I love those old quads. I had the QX 949 and the QX-9900...but the Kenwood still was the better receiver. I had the big Pioneer...the SX 1280. That is the biggest one they have. The Kenwood is still like taking a Chevelle and racing a Big Block Corvette. The Pioneer sounds good...but not as good as the Kenwood.

I have been trying to buy another one...but its hard...even on EBAY.

If synthing stereo to quad is what your goal is then I hate to say that the Kenwoods don't hold a candle to the Sansui "01" units. They are the best you can do period! I had the big Kenwood years ago, even had the plug-in cd-4 demod for it but there was no comparrison to my 7001 even before QuadBob restored it. Iso Itoh's Variomatrix was, IS the best quad synth ever! And the rest dont even come close! I have had Sony, Kenwood, Marantz, Technics quad recievers and again NOTHING COMPARES TO THE "01" SANSUI'S! Look back at all the old threads on this subject and I think the way should be clear. Good luck!:)

I have had mine since 1982. I was just wondering how many other have this receiver?(y)

I have a kenwood kr8340 and I just acquired a kenwood Kr9940.
I do not know how to walk the rear speakers on the kr9940.
On the kenwood kr8340 there is a button

I have a kenwood kr8340 and I just acquired a kenwood Kr9940.
I do not know how to walk the rear speakers on the kr9940.
On the kenwood kr8340 there is a button

all I have ever done is just have the fader turned to the middle. Like I have said before I have never really used the quad part of this stereo. Its always on RM on the selector. I have had 4 sets of speakers on mine. It sounds great.

Thanks for the useful information on the KR-9940. This is the most feedback I've ever seen about it. Obviously you've compared it to the Sansui QRX-7500 and agree with me the latter has some weaknesses. Have you ever compared it to any of the Pioneer quads like the QX-8000, QX-949, or QX-9900? I have the QX-8000A and it is a FANTASTIC receiver. The Pioneers always seem to be made fun of in comparison to the Sansui QRX-x001 series (which I have no experience of). But I love the sound quality of the QX-8000and QX-8000A and think they create a very rich 4-channel sound field from stereo sources. I have no quad LP's, tapes, etc., and no interest in acquiring any, although I AM very interested in multi-channel SACD's. I route 4-channel SACD's through the 4 AUX inputs of the Pioneer and set it to Discrete output. WOW! The sound is like being there. That's what I want to try with the KR-9940 if I'm lucky enough to get one.

I found a QX 949 and a QX 8000a. I am trying to buy both of them now. I hope I have them by tomorrow.

Here is your switch for all your speaker separation. use the mode switch

3.jpg

I found a QX 949 and a QX 8000a. I am trying to buy both of them now. I hope I have them by tomorrow.

Good luck with those Pioneers. I have never heard the QX-949. I am very familiar with the QX-8000A. I have 2 of them. If you get one in good condition, I think you will be very impressed. The sound is bright but the bass is quite adequate, very tight and natural through my Sansui SP-300's and SP-2500's. On this unit, the RM and SQ modes each offer something a little different when utilizing a stereo source. The unit is way underrated for power; it has plenty. Also, lots of inputs including 2 sets of AUX inputs that each have both front and rear jacks (8 connections)! There is also a MAIN IN jack so you can bypass the preamp if you like. They overbuilt this thing by quite a bit, that's clear.

As far as the Sansui x001 series receivers being the only way to go for synthesizing quad from stereo, I can't argue the point since I haven't heard one from that series. I picked up a QRX-7500 and was so disappointed by the use made of the rear channels (just monaural) during quad synthesis, that I lost interest in Sansui. That's probably unfair, but hey, there's a lot of other stuff out there to try. One day I'll get to a QRX-7001.

I know I would like to find a surround add on unit. I remember seeing these a long time ago. I havent seen one since the early to mid 90's. If anyone sees one let me know.

Are you talking about a Realistic surround add-on unit? It hooks up to a stereo amp and synthesizes 2 additional rear channels. I think I have one of those sitting around. I've never used it. If you're interested I might be willing to sell it. I have no idea what it sounds like since I've never tried it.

Are you talking about a Realistic surround add-on unit? It hooks up to a stereo amp and synthesizes 2 additional rear channels. I think I have one of those sitting around. I've never used it. If you're interested I might be willing to sell it. I have no idea what it sounds like since I've never tried it.

I believe that is what I am looking for. The new surround sound stereos dont have the power I want. With this being an add on...I dont lose my power to jam. Let me know what you want for it.

Thank you very much,
I concluded that I have a electronic problem .

That sucks dude. I wish you were closer...then I could maybe solve it for you.

I would love to find another one of these and boost it up more. The T-03 transistors in it...can be uped at least anther 100 watts. I have never done it to mine...but love to do it to one to see what kind of power I would get out of it.

Back