HiRez Poll King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (2009) [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of King Crimson - IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

• Total voters
Got mine ... thought I'd start out easy with the simple stuff, then work my way up to CotCK.

So much for that theory - Put Red in the player and haven't been able to get around it yet to move on to the other albums. (Yes - anything that old will always be albums in my book, no matter the media it comes on.)

Starless and Bible Black ...
(sigh)

I'd forgotten just how powerful that lil ditty is.

* Come to think of it, I haven't seen my neighbor's dog lately either ...

A 10 all the way. fantastic in every regard.

this is what our 5.1 systems are waiting for regarding re-released material.

I haven't heard most of KC's subsequent catalogue, so these mixes will be my introduction, and what an introduction they will be.

It's impossible for me to say right now, but I'd be surprised if any subsequent discs will get a full 10 from me, we'll see . . .

I haven't heard most of KC's subsequent catalogue, so these mixes will be my introduction, and what an introduction they will be.

I envy you! Interesting to see what you think of the rest, the different incarnations are quite different in style. Poseidon is similar to Court, Lizard is like nothing else (probably most divided opinions among fans), Red era is a beast, Discipline brings in Americans - well, it goes on and on.

Got the 3 titles from Burning Shed today. And just finished playing the DVD-A of Crimson King.

In a word, phenomenal! Crystal clear instrumentals & vocals, no digital glare or brightness, just excellent surround sound. I didn't feel the recording was in anyway compressed or bumped up against the limiters, either. Much better, smoother sound than the Genesis SACD's. Solid 10!

Congratulations to all here involved in the release, Neil, Jon, Bob Romano, and any others not named. This is a great recording.

'Nuff said :smokin

ss9001
Steve

I'm listening to the alternate takes now. All of the I Talk to the Wind mixes are just beautiful music.

Other than ITCOTCK itself, I had forgotten these songs. Toward the very end of Moonchild I think I can hear some guitar inspiration for ELP's Take a Pebble ;) At least to my ears....

Finally it arrived here too, had been lost in some mail sack for a while. To say that it's impressive is a understatement... i knew the stereo version but the 5.1 mix simply shines. For this kind of music - prog - where there are lots of sound layers, spreading it out fully on a complete stage simply does justice to the genius of the performers.
The use of all channels also is very impressive; think our dear Neil had a BIG fun doing the mastering for such a disc, listening in advance such a wonderful piece of music. Excellent mix.
Now for a differerent tought: in the last years, despite the "below-than-nil" support from the big majors, we've seen several things coming out in surround:
Doors
Depeche Mode
Talking Heads
Bijork
Genesis
KC (currently going on...).

Two acts (Doors and TH) are USA, the other four are Europe.
Maybe the lack of success - and very limited releases - of european quads back in the real days has left more desire to try the surround ways?
Just a tought... but it will be nice to get more prog remixed THAT way.

Just received in my little "record shop" down the road. I'll have to listen a couple more times before voting, so far I'd have to echo all the other comments. For a real 3 dimensional effect, get out those 3D anaglyph glasses you have stashed (you know, the red and blue lenses types....) and kick back as you listen....the screen image is remarkably 3D with the red hands outlined in blue....a coincidence? :D John S.

Finally, finally, finally it is here.

kc1.jpg

Should I unwrap it and play it??!! Yes, I think I should, but first I must hold it and squeeze it and I think I will name it George.

Any word on the status of the box set? I haven't yet gotten any word on a release date. I'm beginning to wonder if I would have been better off forgetting the box set and ordering the 2 disc one.

Played the 5.1 today. I gave it a 10. Outstanding job on this one! This was my first time listening to Court, and what an introduction it was!

Bonus content is great as well. I was not able to play the video (it freezes and skips), but other than that, excellent disc. I ordered a replacement copy from Amazon, so hopefully the video plays on that one. I guess it's not a huge deal if it doesn't, as it's the 5.1 mix I'll be going back to anyway.

I also had an issue w/ the videos on Red. The first video plays about 3 seconds, then the timer goes back to 00:00, and it starts again. It plays fine after that. A replacement copy of Red had the same issue, so I don't know if it's a problem w/ the US pressings (both Red and Court were US pressings purchased from Amazon) or my player (Denon 3910). These are the only 2 DVDs I own that give me any kind of problems, so I'm thinking it's not the player.

Anyone else w/ US pressings having any video issues?

Any word on the status of the box set? I haven't yet gotten any word on a release date. I'm beginning to wonder if I would have been better off forgetting the box set and ordering the 2 disc one.

Did you see Rusinurbe's post above? I assume " big one" means the box???

I did not get my shipping notice on it from Burning Shed but then I didn't get notices for red or Lizard either (yet I did for the no-man dvd....curious...).

Anyone else w/ US pressings having any video issues?

At least one person on the Hoffman Forum has a similar problem, not sure which player he has.

Maybe I'll order from Burning Shed just to be sure I have no problems, even if it costs a bit more.

At least one person on the Hoffman Forum has a similar problem, not sure which player he has.

Maybe I'll order from Burning Shed just to be sure I have no problems, even if it costs a bit more.

That's me on the Hoffman forum. :)

I received one reply yesterday from another member w/ a US pressing of Court, and he said was able to view the video, so perhaps it's just my player. I've got a replacement copy coming from Amazon, so I'll report back if the problem still occurs.

It seems the Denon 3910 on rare occasions has issues w/ some discs. There were several posts on the Hoffman site (myself included) regarding issues w/ the 3910 and the Eye in the Sky HDAD.

Regarding this release, I played it again this morning. Man, I love the 5.1 mix! The acoustic guitar on Epitaph is incredible. Heck, the whole disc is a standout.

If anyone is on the fence about getting this one, do yourself a favor and pick it up. Your ears will thank you. (y)

That's me on the Hoffman forum. :)
It seems the Denon 3910 on rare occasions has issues w/ some discs. There were several posts on the Hoffman site (myself included) regarding issues w/ the 3910 and the Eye in the Sky HDAD.

I use the DVD-3910 in one of my rigs and the video from this release played perfectly on it.

Not having much experience with King Crimson, I wanted to start with this one and waited until it was at a local brick & mortar before picking it up (been busy anyway.) It's wonderful... great music and I love the overall mix. Nice extras too. ITCOTCK is my favorite track so far, can't get it out of my head. Gotta be a 10.

My Oppo 970 did not like the disc the first time I put it in, locked it up and had to pull the power cord to unfreeze. But it's been fine since then.

I will be picking up the others too, I think Lizard is next for me.

Mark Z

Back