KSAN Quad broadcasts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All broadcast callsign's in California begin with "K".

Could you mean KSAN?

"The Greatful Dead performed at the Winterland Arena, S.F. on October 4,
1970. The performance was televised on KQED and simulcast on KQED-FM and
KSAN-FM in Discrete Quadraphonic."

Thanks It was KSAN. I did a lot of taping of the shows. My favorite is the SNACK CONCERT. My tapes are boxed up for our up coming move so im just doing some research and reading the forums.

So if people recorded the KQED-FM and KSAN-FM show separately in stereo perhaps a Quad mix could be reconstructed. Of course if someone was really hip they would have used a Quad reel to reel deck with two high quality FM receivers.

The SNACK CONCERT brings back memories. I totally forgot about that event. I remember it being a long broadcast on the radio, not sure about it being in Quad though.

Date: Mar 23, 1975
Venue: Kezar Stadium (San Francisco, CA)
Performers:
The Doobie Brothers
Graham Central Station
Mimi Farina
Jefferson Starship
Jerry Garcia & Friends
The Miracles
Joan Baez
Santana
Tower of Power
Neil Young
Frankie Albert
John Brodie
Rosie Casals
Werner Erhard
Cedric Hardman
Willie Mays
Jesse Owens
Gene Washington
Rev. Cecil Williams
Bob Dylan
Eddie Palmieri & his Orchestra
Grateful Dead
All-Star Jam Session

Thanks for your replys. I had a QRX 3500 at the time and an Akai 202-d-ss and while packing away my tapes some were taped in 4 channel and others I just recorded in 2 channel. Ads were placed in the paper such as 3 hours of concerts on the Green or King Biscuit and I would just let it tape. I guess i will run the 2 channel tapes thru my QSD-2 and see how the decode. I made maybe 10-15 tapes from 74 thu 75.

Thanks for your replys. I had a QRX 3500 at the time and an Akai 202-d-ss and while packing away my tapes some were taped in 4 channel and others I just recorded in 2 channel. Ads were placed in the paper such as 3 hours of concerts on the Green or King Biscuit and I would just let it tape. I guess i will run the 2 channel tapes thru my QSD-2 and see how the decode. I made maybe 10-15 tapes from 74 thu 75.

Wow! That's awesome. You have “Day on the Green” concerts on tape? And some Quad reels. Way cool.

Those “Day on The Green” shows were totally outrageous. Those times were quite unique. We would drink a 6 pack of beer (each :D) at 8:30 in the morning and :smokin, then see the original AC/DC at 10:30 AM followed by Van Halen on their first tour in a huge outdoor stadium. You could walk around and get as close to the stage as you wanted. July 23, 1978, Oakland, CA. the bands in order of appearance: AC/DC, Van Halen, Pat Travers, Foreigner, Aerosmith.

Days on the Green list of shows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_on_the_Green

Were they still running Quad in 78?
I’ve been going through my recordings of the infamous final Sex Pistols gig.
the deliberately sabotaged (by pistols “manager” Malcolm Mclaren) sound mix is muddying the waters but there are 2 incomplete versions that have got me wondering…

Good grief, I last posted here in 2008..

I was an avid listener of KSAN, as would any Rock fan in the Bay Area. As I recall, KSAN only did Quad very rarely. And it would have been show specific. By 1978 this would have been a big no for anything Quad. But, there were Sacramento stations that still broadcast in QS quad by running stereo through an Sansui encoder. Looking back, and checking the Billboard archives, “The King Biscuit Flower Hour” wasn’t broadcast in San Francisco for some reason. But, I was able to record the Quad shows from a Sacramento station. But, I don’t recall much if anything in Quad from the KBFH shows by 1978. I still have a Boston KBFH show I recorded on reel to reel, and it’s unfortunately not Quad. Although, the faze effect from a guitar gives somewhat of a surround effect when I played it through an SQ decoder.

As for the Winterland Sex Pistols concert, I went to the show and it was broadcast live on KSAN. I told my Dad what buttons to push at a certain time, and left my equipment on. When I got home, I had the show on cassette. But, it was not broadcast in Quad. They would have mentioned it, had they done it that way.

Were they still running Quad in 78?
I’ve been going through my recordings of the infamous final Sex Pistols gig.
the deliberately sabotaged (by pistols “manager” Malcolm Mclaren) sound mix is muddying the waters but there are 2 incomplete versions that have got me wondering…

I couldn't tell you anything about 78 , unless they picked up Syndication from The Chicago Kool Jazz Concerts ??

But in 75 ...DSR broadcast 2 Concerts in QS by the group "Man " live at the Keystone Berkeley on KSAN .
According to Billboard September 06 1975 pg 23.
DSR stood for Doug , Stu , (and Ross ) , one half of CCR .

There might be more but I only checked a couple pages of my quad Syndication thread.

If they were only feeding a stereo source into a Sansui encoder for the broadcast, wouldn't it be easier to just do the same thing?

Did any of those broadcasts actually use a discrete 4ch source? Then at least the encode would be worth recording.

Good grief, I last posted here in 2008..

I was an avid listener of KSAN, as would any Rock fan in the Bay Area. As I recall, KSAN only did Quad very rarely. And it would have been show specific. By 1978 this would have been a big no for anything Quad. But, there were Sacramento stations that still broadcast in QS quad by running stereo through an Sansui encoder. Looking back, and checking the Billboard archives, “The King Biscuit Flower Hour” wasn’t broadcast in San Francisco for some reason. But, I was able to record the Quad shows from a Sacramento station. But, I don’t recall much if anything in Quad from the KBFH shows by 1978. I still have a Boston KBFH show I recorded on reel to reel, and it’s unfortunately not Quad. Although, the faze effect from a guitar gives somewhat of a surround effect when I played it through an SQ decoder.

As for the Winterland Sex Pistols concert, I went to the show and it was broadcast live on KSAN. I told my Dad what buttons to push at a certain time, and left my equipment on. When I got home, I had the show on cassette. But, it was not broadcast in Quad. They would have mentioned it, had they done it that way.
Now thats what i call an answer!
Thank you

Well from my research into quad FM , primarily matrix , there were definitely some FM stations still broadcasting well into the end of the 70's (maybe a couple were beyond).
Some were broadcasting live performances in either QS or SQ .
Most were doing short quad broadcasts , say maybe an hour or 2 as a special feature each week .

In Toronto the CBC granted an hour or 2 a week for 13 weeks (maybe renewed),
all in SQ with Andrew Marshall back in 1977 .
CBS even supplied him with a Ghent mic system for his use. The show was carried Nation wide , including my city.........but little or no advance notice was given of his quad show , so I missed out as I'm certain many other quadraphonic interested listeners did as well.

I believe that problem wasn't limited to my listening area , so the same lack of information would no doubt have occurred in the U.S.

What's incredible is that these shows continued with quad broadcasting , even though the record labels quit with any new releases in quad. (Circa 78)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
@Tim Bucknall ,

Lot's of quad FM information on this link. I've noticed your interest in quad FM in this and other posts...so this link should be beneficial for your curiosity.
Probably the greatest info on quad FM in the US. I was able to accumulate , and not just me but others such as Mark Anderson contributed invaluable quad info.

Not certain if @Sonik Wiz and @mandrix are aware of this thread , but if still interested, you will find it a good read .

-Fizzy 😊

(Starting that thread was a labour of love for me.)

Mod Note: Post and thread edited for clarity. Thanks.

Back