Lafayette LA-1050

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnerjNYC

Hi,

New guy here, just getting into quad, and I have a question about the Lafayette LA-1050.

I got this from my dad (who I am pretty sure was never into quad) to replace an aging Sansui receiver. There's very little info on the Intertubes about this amplifier.

Anyway, I just took a close look at the speaker selector switch, and lo and behold there, in slightly faded lettering, is something that looks like "4 Ch."

Can anyone recommend a good place to find more information about these old Lafayettes?

Many thanks.

Joe

----------------
Now playing: Son Volt - Strands
via FoxyTunes

Our Quad experts on the Lafayette LA-1050 must be away and can tell you much more.
I had an amp with a similar switch (not a Lafayette model) which you put on 4 channel with another decoder / amp box to get Quad. I'm guessing it's a Stereo model if it does not have Left / Right - Front and Rear speaker outputs.

I've never bought from this person before, but supposedly you can get a manual here: http://www.agtannenbaum.com/l_cat.html#lafayette

What Sansui amp do you have? If it's from the 1970's those are worth keeping Quad or not. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Old Quad Guy,

Thanks for the response.

There are outputs for "rear/remote" speakers. It's a small unit, so I suspect that it might need to be paired with an outboard decoder.

I found Tannenbaum's site earlier. Haven't been able to reach anyone there yet to place an order.

Hopefully some Lafayette experts will chime in.

Joe

----------------
Now playing: The Pillbugs - Neo Mega Quasi Ultra Super Groovy
via FoxyTunes

Hello Joe,

Yes, there is not much info on the unit out there, although they probably pop-up on ebay now and then.

If you have 4 set's of inputs and 4 sets of outputs it might be Quad. If you want take a close up photo of just the rear so we can see the inputs / outputs and post it here on this thread, we should know right away then.

Old Quad Guy

OK, here are some close ups of the back panel, and it looks like it's not true quad -- not enough inputs.

The Sansui, BTW, was an R-70 IIRC. I had for over 20 years but toward the end it was having problems with one of the channels cutting out and I got rid of it.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

----------------
Now playing: The Pillbugs - Larry In The Sea With Daffodils
via FoxyTunes

Attachments

• P1010139.JPG
    P1010139.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010140.JPG
    P1010140.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 94