Lafayette SQ-W Connection Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long ago and far away, I used to work for Lafayette Radio.

I used to use the SQ-W processor to provide a rear ambient channel.

As I recalled, I thought that I was not using the box to distribute anything in the fronts, and I just used it for rear speaker processing.

Well, I'm old now, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to hook this up.

I looked at the manual online, and couldn't tell anything from the old diagrams.

Can someone help me? I have a Marantz SC-7S2 stereo preamp, and 2 matching stereo Parasound power amps.

Can I wire it just for the rears, or do I need to have the box handle the fronts, and the rears?

How?

I only want to use it for 2 channel stereo processing into 4 channel surround. I am not doing anything 4 channel discrete.

Thanks in advance for any help.

~John

Back in the good old days, every receiver had a tape monitor loop.
Outboard processors, equalizers, etc. were designed to be patched in there, as if they were a three-head tape deck.

Since magnetic tape has gone the way of the dodo bird, manufacturers no longer support this function.
It appears to me there's no way to use this antique quad processor as it was intended with a modern preamp like your Marantz.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 2.35.10 PM.jpg

As I recalled, I thought that I was not using the box to distribute anything in the fronts, and I just used it for rear speaker processing.

Can I wire it just for the rears, or do I need to have the box handle the fronts, and the rears?

If all you want is rear ambience, if I were you, I would try patching the RECORD output of your preamp to the SOURCE input of your SQ-W.
Connect the REAR outputs to your surround amp.
Your fronts would be unaffected, but you'd have control of the rear ambience with the sensitivity switch and volume knob on the decoder as well as the gain control on the power amp.

The problem would be that adjusting the preamp volume would have no effect on the rears, because the record output is fixed gain.
So every time the front volume went up or down, the rear would be out of balance and need a separate simultaneous adjustment.
Does that sound like possibly how you used it back in the old days?
Seems cumbersome... :confused:

By the way, weren't you supposed to be ordering a Surround Master? :unsure:
With a $6500 preamp, it appears you could probably afford one.;)
---------------------------------------------------

PS- I remember those old Lafayette Radio catalogs well.
My next door neighbor who was the drummer in my first garage band in 1967 had a subscription.
We'd geek out over all the hi-fi and PA gear, I probably ordered my first microphone from Lafayette.
:SG:rocks:SG:rocks

Last edited:
Back