Latest Toys: Q8 player and Sanyo Receiver.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Just wanted to show off the toys.

Funny story on the Q8 player, when I first tried it out, Back left was unresponsive - just like the receiver! :mad: A good cleaning later and all channels came back to life. The 2/4 channel selector button is noisy and causes the channel dropouts but it's in a weird spot that I can't get some deoxit spray inside to clean it. Eject feature didn't work either but that's all back in order and working again. Timer needs a new belt, no biggie there but this one has WORSE motor trouble than my last 858. It'll play through a stereo tape fine and a light Quad tape. It struggles through Santana's Greatest Hits Q8 and can BARELY play Aerosmith's Toys in the attic. Once it gets up to speed, it's ok but it really struggles to get up to proper tape speed. I'm thinking I might send it off to that Barry fella in Arizona. He says he's got a fancy, custom-built motor with a tach-speed sensor that will actually apply more torque if it's not reaching set rpm.

Attachments

• Second Quad System 003.jpg
    Second Quad System 003.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 150
I haven't seen the custome built speed-sensing motor on his site yet. He seems like he is the man for 8-track repair. Which Technics model is that? I think if I were going to go to Q8 recording, I would go with a Technics, motor issues aside.

It's really surprising Technics would go with junk motors in thier ultimate 8-track recorders. Especially since a lot of the cheapo Panasonic stereo players are notorious for heavy motors that can pull any tape. I guess a lot of those were later in the 8-track game though. Still the Technics win hands down on features, ease of use, and they are also darn good-looking.

I had a Technics 858 for awhile and got rid of it because of the motor. I do have an 847, which has the same motor, but is play only. It has been my second Q8 deck since '74. I've had minimal motor issues with it. Perhaps I'll send it off for a new motor. My main deck has always been the Akai CR-80DSS. Less features and not as pretty as the Technics 858, but has a vacuum cleaner motor.

Q8, if you look on Barry's site, http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/Motors.html scroll down about 3/4 of the way. It's listed as CASMOT-4, but he can fit it into an 8-track player. Since the big Technics' are notorious for motor problems, I'd just assume solve it the best way possible. Might be a little money to invest (He quoted me $250 with return shipping) but that might mean the player will outlast me.

This deck is an RS-858DUS. My previous one was a blue-metered 858. That one had noise reduction too. I figured this time around, since I have my Teac 4-channel dolby, I can get this deck with the different shut-off settings. The 858 simply has Pana-Ject. If you want to record only onto track 1, you've got to be on the eject button or else it'll continue recording onto track 2. It'll only eject automatically at the end of tape (track 2 for Quad, 4 for stereo). The 858DUS has multiple settings.

I'm proud to report that the 858 is playing fabulously as I type this. I took the motor apart, cleaned out 35 years of hair and dust, gave it a good lube job, polished the capstan and found a better fitting belt and I'm happy to report it is currently playing one of the most challenging tapes I've ever owned : Three Dog Night's Coming Down Your Way. It might be that the tape is heavy, or just inferior GRT tape stock, but every player I've owned struggles through this tape. Not this machine. Playing great right now! I'm insufferably pleased with myself right now. Now to just get the timer to work properly!

Also, I FINALLY got the Amplifier chip the Sanyo needed. I really dislike people on eBay who take 2+ weeks just to drop the item in the mail. I paid on Nov. 21st, he didn't mail it until Dec. 6th. Thanks dude. Now, I probably can't get the Sanyo fixed until after Christmas.

When it comes to 8-track motors and lovers. Size doesn't always matter. I've been a little skeptical that the issues everyone has with Technics is really due to the size of the motor.

I am so glad you got it working well!!!

I need to see if i can dissaemble and clean that motor in the Pioneer that runs inconsistantly. I have been putting that off cause I am afraid that i will have to undo a lot of wires to get to the motor. They buried the motor inside a tight nest of wires as if it were an egg in a birds nest. They made it so the lip of the moto casing gets trapped by wires no matter how you try to get it out. But you have inspired me to see if i can map it out and take it apart tonight. I really am guessing that my issue is gunk as well. I tried to get some lube in, but that motor design is especially tight around the post. I'm not sure I actually got any in. I have brought other motors completely from the dead with some lube.

I hope all goes well in getting the Sanyo to work. That really is a great looking receiver.

Back