"The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get" Q8 issues.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukothai

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I recently received the Joe Walsh "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get" Q8 and immediately proceeded to do a conversion. I have the Q8 already, but it is a little beat up and I was hoping for a better copy. I record my conversions through a MOTU 828 mk3 with Adobe Audition and monitor the progress through headphones on the fronts. After the capture was complete, I cleaned up the files with some conservative hiss reduction and muting between tracks where necessary and finally exported 24 bit 96K tracks to create a DVD-A with Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra. I burned the DVD with ImgBurn and put it in my player to hear for the first time.

The first song is "Rocky Mountain Way" and I knew something was wrong right away. The opening guitar riff was bouncing between front and rear speakers. Having heard both the QS and Q8 before, I knew this wasn't right. I turned it off and loaded the .wav files in Audition to see what was going on and found the front channels on program 1 were delayed by .375 seconds. I then checked program 2 and found the rear channels delayed by .750 seconds.

I couldn't imagine how this could happen, but I figured I must have messed up when I captured the Q8; so I started over and ended up with the exact same result again. Has anyone else ever seen this problem on any Q8? The tape serial # is 7023-50140H. My other copy that doesn't have this problem has serial #: C 7023-50140. I understand a Canadian version exists also.

Here are snapshots showing the delay of program 1:

SmokerProgram1.jpg

and program 2. Note: program 2 Front-Left and Rear-Right don't have much going on at first and the timeline is a different scale than program 1.

SmokerProgram2.jpg

YES!!! About 2 years ago I came across a blue GRT/Arista cartridge of Eric Carmen's self titled album and I immediately noticed a problem very, very similar to this. Now, I don't convert nor do I digitize stuff, I just like to play Q8's so I couldn't tell you exactly what the delay length was but it was serious enough to make the entire tape un-listenable. I later sold it on ebay highlighting this flaw in the auction.

Also, since you have a C and an H version, do both cartridges have correct channel placement or is one incorrect? If one is incorrect, which cartridge?

Both the C and H versions have the same channel placement and are correct as far as I can tell. The lead vocal and most of the rhythm guitar and keyboards are in the front. The rear is used for a very discrete variety of instruments, an occasional lead guitar riff and chorus vocals. The synth swirls around all four channels from time to time.

I adjusted tracks for the delay and burned a new DVD-A. It is not my best Q8 conversion sound quality wise, but is very listen-able to me. I would say it is one of my favorites. My previous C version was OK, but had accordion tape disease in a couple places.

Does anyone have the Canadian version of this? How does it compare?

Q8's.jpgI have a copy I bought in Canada in the 70s and i still play it once in a while when i want to hear on of the best guitars riffs ever. Im playing it now and, as usual, WOW! Its a red RCA cart but it doesn't say Made in Canada on it. I'll attach a picture of it and my Candian copy of The World Is a Ghetto which I also heard is better sonically that the US versions (but i wouldn't know) I have been buying them here in Canada since the 70s. I have bought some on ebay recently and you know they all sound pretty good to me, but then I am 54..

View attachment 3416I have a copy I bought in Canada in the 70s and i still play it once in a while when i want to hear on of the best guitars riffs ever. Im playing it now and, as usual, WOW! Its a red RCA cart but it doesn't say Made in Canada on it. .....
Don't red cartridges indicate RCA Music Service made the tape? Even says that on it.

Im not an expert on carts but i do have some other red carts that do say made in canada on them, Like I have two Nilsson Schimilssons, both red carts but only one says made in Canada. Maybe someone can give me the lowdown on Canadian Q8's. I have seen references to the fact (rumour?) that they sound better but i have never seen anything authoritative.

It must be the Canadian version. The Quad Discography indicates the Canadian Cat. No. is CTQ-40016; which is what is on yours. Thanks for posting the picture. Now I know what I'm looking for. It will be interesting to find out if the mixes and/or quality are different.

Here's a pic of the the 2 different US versions.

- Ben

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 177
Ah now I get it. I have a couple of the GRTs alright that I bought on ebay and the sound quality is not that great(Steely Dan and Tommy James)

Back