Led Zeppelin on DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

zakyfarms

I just read in the latest issue of ICE magazine that the new Led Zeppelin CD set "How The West Was Won," which comprises 2 shows recorded in California in 1972 is also to be released on DVD-A. Oh happy day!

I don't wanna hear live Led Zep on DVD-A....I want Led Zep II...or any studio stuff. I love them to death, but live? They were pretty crappy at times. Jimmy Page was a master in the studio, that's where he shines! Give us the studio stuff!

Hopefully a revamped version of "The Song Remains The Same" isn't too far behind, either. The current DVD is totally bare-bones, with crappy 3.1 sound (that, to my eyes at least, even looks like it's synched slightly off from the picture). They could really spruce this one up if they wanted. Certainly, there's tons of unused footage from those particular shows lying around somewhere...

And I agree, Zep's catalog practically begs for surround remixing. I can't wait to hear "Whole Lotta Love" with all that crap flying around my head!

I would certainly prefer to have the studio stuff in surround, but I'm thrilled to be getting anything at all. As for The Song Remains The Same, I don't really care to have that one upgraded as the performance is uncharacteristically poor. There is a DVD (different shows from the CD/DVD-A) due out in May that should be outstanding, based on the shows that they are using for it. And as for saying that Zeppelin were no good live, I must strongly differ. I have a number of recordings spanning their career and many of them are just phenomenal! Yes OK I skip the 30-minute drum solos, but really, live Zep is a force to be reckoned with!

Ahhh.....but I never said they were ALWAYS crappy, just sometimes. I'll never forget that clip of them doing Dazed and Confused, must have been just when the first album came out, and Jimmy had that Tele with the freaky paint job....it was ferocious! But I had a bootleg once where Jimmy was so out of tune I had to stop the record. I have never been a big fan of live albums anyway, these days the bands simply go in and overdub everything to get it perfect....I'm sure the new Zep live will be a great performance, otherwise it would not be released. But I want to hear the wah wah on How Many More Times flying around my head....or the theriman (don't know if I spelled that right...the freaky sounding thing during the instrumental part) on Whole Lotta Love....Give me that on DVD-A!

Really good live albums are few and far between. Really good surround-sound live albums are even fewer and father between. "Song Remains The Same" as a live album is okay, but I wouldn't rank it up there with the best. I haven't heard much else from Zep live, but we can hope for the best.

Speaking of doctoring live albums, I was really dissapointed to see VH1's special on Kiss' "Alive" album. That used to be one of my favorite live records. Although I've long since put it behind me, it still ticked me off to learn that they re-recorded vocal tracks in the studio and overdubbed additional audience, among other things. That's pretty lame.

The only thing worse is when they take a studio recording and try and make it a live recording by overdubbing the audience. "Hey, let's take this great studio recording and ruin it by overdubbing people cheering and whistling!" Whoever came up with that idea should be taken out and shot.

I knew Kiss Alive was too good to be true! Damn! You've ruined my life!!!!!!!:p

Here's a funny one...remember Cheap Trick Live at Budakon? The song Ain't that a Shame? I have a cheapo greatest hits of theirs, and I guess they put the wrong version of the song on it, cuz when Zander, Peterson and Neilsen trade licks at the end, Zander SUCKS THE BIG ONE! Nielsen must have overdubbed over Zander's crappy playing on the album version.

But I digress......

I read a quote directly from the engineer on "How the West Was Won" claiming that a DVD-A was going to be released - and he was quite enthusiastic about the DVD-A release, too.

I'm bumping this thread up because I've been to several Zep sites/message brds. and can't find any confirmation of this release. So, other than hearsay- does anyone have stone cold facts on this AND a prospective release date?

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>In a recent interview with ICE Magazine, engineer Kevin Shirley, who was involved with the restoration, remixing, and remastering of the audio for the Led Zeppelin DVD and live CD "How The West Was Won", mentions that the audio was sampled at high-def resolution and that "there's going to be a DVD-audio release of that (HTWWW) coming out a bit later." He adds, "It is excellent, f___ing mind-blowing."[/quote]

Since I saw that, I decided to wait for the DVD-A. However, I've heard friends' copies of HTWWW and the performances are definitely better than the "Led Zeppelin" DVD set (both came out this week).

I think that in the case of the DVD-Video, they were limited to using whatever performances happened to be filmed (and for which there were restorable elements). Whereas for a CD, they could just go for the best performances that were recorded.

Of course this will be an incredible live set. I can't believe anyone would doubt it. This band was not crappy live at all, but one of the finest live acts to ever hit a stage.

And with good multi-track tapes to work with, and using two strong shows to pull from, and state of the art mixing to 24/96, and Page being alive and well enough to direct the whole thing.......it can't miss.

I have waited for a good mix of prime live Zep for only 25 years now. And to compare this with Kiss or Cheap Trick is like comparing The Beatles to the Monkees, it is a whole other level of writing, performance and recording. I've always thought Budakan and Alive were poor recordings, fun and cool sure, but on the dull side in sound quality.

If you wanted to talk of quality in a live recording, that would be Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus, or Van Morrison - Too Late To Stop Now, something along those lines. And I should add that it is not a matter of opinion here, sound quality on a good system jumps out at you.

Anyway, this is going to be a scorcher set I can feel it.

Jeff

I don't think anyone, especially myself, was comparing Led Zep to Cheap Trick or Kiss.....we were just talking about live recordings and how they are usually doctored.

Personally, I think Led Zep was, with The Beatles and Floyd, one of the greatest studio bands in the world. I am looking forward to getting the DVD and hope the performances are as good as everyone is saying. But for me anyway, their studio stuff will always outshine their live stuff.

for what it's worth, I was way surprised by how good the show(s) used for HTWWW translate to CD, let alone the (hopefully) forthcoming DVD-A. My fear is that'll be like the Last Waltz, an edit of the three discs down to one.

Gotta saw, the new live stuff really made me appreciate a bunch of tracks that had become stale for me in their studio forms. Much, much better than SRTS, for eg.

I picked up the DVD, haven't popped it in yet, but it can't be as good sounding as the CD, that's fer sure.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I picked up the DVD, haven't popped it in yet, but it can't be as good sounding as the CD, that's fer sure.[/quote]

The Led Zep DVD-Video set sounds good for a 1970 concert video (and many people rave about the sound as a result), <strong>but</strong> it still doesn't sound "good". The studio albums just sound much better. The DVDs sound like a rock-and-roll band, the studio albums sound like heavy metal.

However, the new live CDs sound better than the DVDs to me, and so the DVD-A should be quite good.

Back