Legacy and new working together question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadgirl

Since 2002/2003
Hi, everyone.
I PM'd a couple of folks (thanks Allan for your response!), but need some help particularly if you are familiar with QB restored x001s. Here is my self-made dilemma:
Because of my limited space (width across front of room) and desire for a larger footprint tv (I am out of room width for la scalas and equipment) and a bit more speaker simplicity, I am making the decision to make a few upgrades which will change the way the 9001 is hooked up. The 9001 has been the heart of the quad system. I have been running parallel dedicated quad system with 9001 and HT with yami receiver. Quad has 4 Klipsch's, Yami system is currently 5.1 Axiom. I now wish to upgrade my old yamaha receiver with the Denon 3808ci (lots of hdmi inputs!) The big change, though is that I plan to sell my la scalas and heresy's and go to an all Axiom brand 7.1 system (move current front axioms to rear where heresy's have been, purchase the highest end M80 tower axioms and a bigger axiom sub for fronts and sub - continue to use axiom QS8s surrounds on side walls a bit above ear level(they fire down)). So, a matched HT, Hi-Rez and quad speakers setup (all axiom). My question: drumroll: How will I kinda reverse my current 9001 to yamaha setup to be where the Denon (yami going to another room) is the controller of all? Can it please be as simple as somehow using a couple of plugs QB put on the 9001? (I don't want to move all the furniture and stuff until hookup day, but remember that QB put some plugs on the rear that are currently just coupled by cable to cancel them out. I am hoping these are the way to hook into the Denon, but just never thought to hook up a one system for all deal). Please advise if you know how this connection can take place. Also, here is a quick refresher on how my system is currently hooked up (hope this helps you help me!) - if I listen to Q8, QS, SQ or CD-4, I have to just turn on 9001 (to which all klipsch are attached) no yami needed. To listen to dts cds, turn on oppo and sansui, no yammi needed. To listen to hi-rez, have to turn on yami to get center and sub. Now I wish to have no speakers hooked into 9001, but all through new denon. Hope I do not have to change much to inputs on 9001. Please do help. Thanks in advance. Hope this is clear. Happy holidays! And, Jon, if you read this, please let me know if I should have posted it in a different section (like modern?).

Keep in mind that the 9001 is restored, so I am hoping it is a matter of passing stuff from 9001 into denon, and hoping my results will be good. I ordered my new stuff today, so please don't pooh-pooh the receiver!! It is evidently a good mix for the axioms and it has audessy setup feature and lots of hdmi (I need at least 3 right now!). And the final dumb question - how will the denon know where to put rears for quad (Surround rears, or back rears?)?? Thanks to you all!!!
Laura

Quadgirl,

You can leave the vintage Quad gear hooked to the Sansui as is. Connect 4 RCA cords from the Tape outputs on the Sansui (if these connections are presently being used you can insert 4-Y connectors) to the multichannel analog inputs on the Denon. Quad R/L Rears to the Surround Rears. The Oppo will connect directly to the Denon via HDMI.

If you still need more connections, you may want to consider a multichannel switching device such as the Zector MAS7.1.

http://www.zektor.com/mas71/index.html

This would go between the Sansui and the Denon and would provide for switching between 3 multichannel sources (Analog, Digital, or HDMI).

I hope this helps.

Dennis

You can actually choose which set of rear speakers (Surrounds or Surround Backs) you want for Quad playback by plugging the cords into the corresponding input jacks. It's your call.

You can actually choose which set of rear speakers (Surrounds or Surround Backs) you want for Quad playback by plugging the cords into the corresponding input jacks. It's your call.

Why not use both? If you connect the left and right rear quad channels using Y-adaptors, then you will be able to use both. At least try it and see how it works. I would bet that you have much more rear fill.

Laura, you should also find out from QB exactly what he has done with the signal path. An unmodified QRX-x001 does NOT pass decoded signals to the tape outputs like the QRX-x500 models do. I will try and call you later and we can chat about it. Cheers, Mike.

Last edited:
QB does a mod on the QRX-9001/QRX-999 in that he actually takes the pre-amp out and routes it to new RCA plugs on the back of the unit. He then adds corresponding RCA "ins" so the pre-amp can be patched back into the Sansui. This makes it possible to use the QRX as a Quadraphonic pre-amp into a modern day surround receiver. Just patch the pre-amp out into the 5.1 channel in of the Denon, assign the input to something like VCR-3 (Which I believe you can rename in the setup to QRX), and you are rockin', just as Dennis has said!!

To verify, see if you can get a hold of QB. I think you will love the Denon. I just got a 4308 for my living room, and that thing is sweet. It even has wireless access to my home network!!

Thanks guys! That was quick and painless! Jon - I know I do have those jacks QB put on and as I said, they are currently just plugged up as I recall. Are there 4 outs to your knowledge? Just want to be sure I do this right as I am sure getting used to a new receiver while making such changes will be a bit stressful. Will I route anything back in from the Denon to 9001? And, wow - you got the real beastie on your Denon! I can't wait to get mine and it will have the ethernet too (and I am ready since I have a buffalo wireless router used with directv receiver sitting right next to where the denon will go!!). And, Mike, interesting about y cabling to try with rears. I think only my Flaming Lips disk mentions in their literature about side surrounds. I'll plan to try it both ways and hear what is best. My plan is to make sure quad works first, then spend time getting to know the denon. Can't wait to use the setup for ht - gotta be better than my yami with only one position for the mic.
I'm very scared about missing the sound of the klipsch's though. Will be an interesting transition!! Thanks to all of you who chimed in so fast here.​
I know I'm about beating a dead horse, but as I said, this is more stressful than all the times I've added things here and there to the system and I don't want to mess up anything on the 9001. I have a PM into QB, but assume he is inundated with work or quad or holidays right now, but I do know I have the mod with the jacks - just was instructed not to use them in the current manner of setup. I'm so psyched (and spending lots of future income!), but can't wait to hear the new axioms when they get here. The company has been easy to deal with and i'm using their trade up program to trade in my more wimpy sub. And, they are supposed to be good with the denon. HOpe I find a magic fit!! And, Mike, if I had the money, I sure did look at some Bryston stuff and even a supposedly wonderful pre/pro type setup of Axiom A1400-8, but just too pricey for my attention span and ability to wait through an episode of upgrade fever and also seemingly complicated. I do think I may get there in the next decade, but in the meantime can't wait to hear the denon in my setup!! And Jon having the big brother just gave me the rest of the confidence needed to survive this set of purchases! YEAH!!
Thanks to all!! Happy holidays and if you think of anything I might need to know in transitioning from a more pure vintage system to mixture of old and new, please let me know. I'd love a short learning curve and a maximal listening experience! Thanks again.
Laura

Ha! Actually I'm at the moment trying to see if I could relocate the subwoofer and maybe move the la scalas out a bit further (even maybe have one toed in from one corner-other is by a door so not much room) and possibly eke out just enough room for extra tv width and new axiom front channels . . . and maybe keep them. Also trying to see if they could go in living room. . . really would hate to see them go, but first have to see how axioms perform with quad. Thanks for feeling my pain, though!! :eek:

Just fyi, I think I have moved enough stuff around and re-located some 8 track storage and such that I may be able to keep the klipsch's and incorporate new front channels from axiom (they are only 9 1/2 inches wide, but deep). I'm looking at empty spots where they can go if the tv will fit. Won't know until next week assuming everything arrives in a timely manner (not holding my breath). So, this negates my question about using the 9001 pre-amp outs patched into denon. Will probably keep system like it is now unless anyone has some good experience and reasons that playing quad sources can be better through newer setups. May still have to try it that way when I get everything pulled out from the wall just to see! So, next question: Is there a way (and would it be feasible) to route one turntable to two receivers? Like maybe y-cabling?? I ask because I really wanted to use the Rega table to go into the denon and play stereo through the axiom front channels (and sub hopefully), but I also like to use the rega to play SQ and QS and I just did some kinda a/bish test playing SQ and QS albums from Marantz tt (usually reserved for CD-4 only) and rega. They sounded very different, probably due to age of Marantz and its cart/stylus and that it is first routed through the CD400 while Rega goes into Bellari then line jacks on Sansui. Anyway, interested in any comments or ideas. This seems a bit outlandish (y cables for phono), but wondered if anyone has tackled this. Thanks in advance!
Laura (quadgirl)

A question about Quad Bob's adding of the pre-outs to the 8/9001: These units don't have a Speaker OFF switch like a 7001. The output to the speakers is switched off by the insertion of a headphone plug into the headphone jacks. So how is the signal cut off to the non-existent speakers when the pre-out is being used? i would think if it's not, this could certainly cause a problem.

Rick

Back