LFE devise for modern multi-channel amps

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundme33

Hello,

I hope I'm posting this question in the correct forum.

Is there a special devise available (like a passive crossover) that can take 4 channels of audio (quadraphonic) and create an LFE channel (hopefully, using a 100hz crossover point) ?? The reason I ask this, is that when I use the EXT INs on my Denon amp to play my quad machines with only 4 outs - they route all frequencies to my satellite speakers.. Which obviously distorts the sound. :mad:@:

Any help will be appreciative.:sun:

Thanks.

Many prepros will do that but they are pricey. Look for a used Outlaw ICBM-1.

Depending on the model of your Denon amp, you might have that functionality built in already. Any Denon amp with 4 or more external ins should have a built in bass management system on board. Could you tell us what model Denon amp you're using?

Depending on the model of your Denon amp, you might have that functionality built in already. Any Denon amp with 4 or more external ins should have a built in bass management system on board. Could you tell us what model Denon amp you're using?

Hello George. Thanks for Replying. I have a Denon AVR-1803. It does have a "Bass Management" setting, however, it only works with DTS/ DD / and Stereo sources. I have another multi-channel amp in my other room (a cheap Yamaha) , and it treats the Ext Ins the same way.

I have the Denon 3803 which is the same era as yours. My setup menu allows for exactly what you are looking for. So I checked your model's owners manual and found this. Your Denon AVR1803 does have a built in bass management system that works on the external ins. If you need help working through the setup menus, please let me know. I believe I can help you get your crossover working:

NOTES:
- Assignment of low frequency signal range -
l The signals produced from the subwoofer channel are LFE signals (during playback of Dolby Digrtal or DTS srgnals) and the low frequency
signal range of channels set to “SMALL” in the setup
. The low frequency signal range of channels set to “LARGE” are produced from those
channels.
- Crossover Frequency -
l When “Subwoofer” IS set to “Yes” at the “Speaker Configuration Setting”, set the frequency (Hz) below whrch the bass sound of the
various speakers is to be output from the subwoofer (the crossover frequency).
l For speakers set to “Small”, sound with a frequency below the crossover frequency is cut, and the cut bass sound is output from the
subwoofer instead.
NOTE: For ordinary speaker systems, we recommend setting the crossover frequency to 80 Hz. When usrng small speakers, however,
settrng the crossover frequency to a high frequency may improve frequency response for frequencies near the crossover frequency.
- Subwoofer mode -
l The subwoofer mode setting is only valid when “LARGE” is set for the front speakers and “YES” is set for the subwoofer tn the “Speaker
Configuration” settings (see pages 20, 21).
If “SMALL” is set for the front speakers or “NO” is set for the subwoofer, the subwoofer mode settrng does not affect playback of low
frequency signal range.
l When the “+MAIN” playback mode is selected, the low frequency srgnal range of channels set to “LARGE” are produced simultaneously
from those channels and the subwoofer channel.
In this playback mode, the low frequency range expand more unrformly through the room, but depending on the srze and shape of the room,
interference may result in a decrease of the actual volume of the low frequency range.
l When the “NORM” playback mode is selected, the low frequency signal range of channels set to “LARGE” are only produced from those
channels, In this playback mode there tends to be little Interference of the low frequency range in the room.
l Try playing the music or movie source and select the playback mode provrding the stronger low frequency range sound.

Back