List of SQ Full logic units

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbark

Happy New Year. Has anyone put together a list of all SQ full logic units? So far I know of the following from Lafayette...4000&5000 receiver The stand alone SQ-W. The LR74 amp, several sony stand alone units..The famous Tate, The Pioneer 747A and 949 A. Marantz had a module. That is all I can think of.....There must be others..Please assist Marc

a couple more

Sound and image composer
Sony SQD 2020, 2010, 2070
Maranz SQA-2B , SQA-2 (not full logic?)

noffour

the Tate chips came in 3 units

Space & Image Composer

Tate 11

Tetrasound 101

Along with the SQ-W, Lafayette released LR-221 and LA-74 at the same time. According to Billboard, all have the same decoder.

Hi all. I have a Lafayette LR-3000 & and am wondering why there is hardly any mention of this model. The original flyer I came across on the web says it has a Full Logic SQ decoder & the faceplate also says SQ Full Logic, but all the forum searches i do here only mention the LR 4000 & 5000 when it comes to Full Logic decoding. It sounds great to my ears which is all that matters i guess. I've compared various SQ recordings to the discreet versions & as far as i can tell they are almost identical. So, I'd like some opinions as to where the SQ decoder of this unit falls. Also, are there any "go to" SQ recordings that you guys use to test the decoding ability of the various models out there?

jarvizo_quad said:
Hi all. I have a Lafayette LR-3000 & and am wondering why there is hardly any mention of this model. The original flyer I came across on the web says it has a Full Logic SQ decoder & the faceplate also says SQ Full Logic, but all the forum searches i do here only mention the LR 4000 & 5000 when it comes to Full Logic decoding. It sounds great to my ears which is all that matters i guess. I've compared various SQ recordings to the discreet versions & as far as i can tell they are almost identical. So, I'd like some opinions as to where the SQ decoder of this unit falls. Also, are there any "go to" SQ recordings that you guys use to test the decoding ability of the various models out there?

Well, the LR-4000 and LR-5000 seem to get high praise for SQ decoding. Maybe the LR-3000 uses the same or very similar decoding circuitry. From your description, and the praise of the other models, it sounds like you have a very accurate decoder.

Hi.
I have the Lafayette SQ-W standalone unit and I had it recapped and recalibrated I also have the Tate 101a unit I have compared them both, and the Lafayette comes very close to the Tate unit. I think the LR-3000 4000 5000 have the same full logic unit in them as the SQ-W UNIT ???.

thanks guys. Yeah, it's a solid machine definitely an upgrade from my LR-220 & sadly I haven't been able to track down a CD-4 module for it either. But far from high end I guess. I do get some bleed or echo from front to back. Bur I have my AKAI 202D-SS for discrete reels, My Sanyo DXL-5490 for Quad 8's, as well as my computer for digital quad files.

You need to separate the decoders into the Full-wave matching with Front/Back gain riding logic and the wave matching with F/B Vari-blend. The Lafayette SQ-W is a wave matching with Vari-blend unit and sounds much better than units like the Sony SQD-2020 that use wave matching and F/B gain riding logic. The Vari-blend truly cancels CF vocals and instruments from the rear channels while the F\B gain riding logic just lowers their level.

Will definitely want to add the new SQ version of the Surround Master decoder to this list.

Tom in So Cal

Back