Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8B84AECD-9B7C-4DE0-92D1-0D0ADECFC472.jpeg

1971 self titled debut by Madura. Man, this band was firing on all six! What the hell was it about the 70s????

Madura were managed by James Williams Guercio, who also managed Chicago and it shows. Although only a trio, their sound bore similarities to Chicago’s, especially vocally and guitar tone wise. Madura were a guitar-organ-drum trio with the organist providing the bass lines, quite superbly I might add. Call them a progressive jazz-rock trio if you have to.

Not sure why, but there’s hardly anything online about the band and this CD is a difficult find. It’s definitely worth tracking down if you can. My copy came out in 2006 on Walhalla (WH 90374).

View attachment 47235
1971 self titled debut by Madura. Man, this band was firing on all six! What the hell was it about the 70s????

Madura were managed by James Williams Guercio, who also managed Chicago and it shows. Although only a trio, their sound bore similarities to Chicago’s, especially vocally and guitar tone wise. Madura were a guitar-organ-drum trio with the organist providing the bass lines, quite superbly I might add. Call them a progressive jazz-rock trio if you have to.

Not sure why, but there’s hardly anything online about the band and this CD is a difficult find. It’s definitely worth tracking down if you can. My copy came out in 2006 on Walhalla (WH 90374).
Cool.
I'll track down a good NM vinyl copy some day.

Madura!! A Chicago area band. Hawk Wolinski and "Addison Al" Decarlo. Addison is a Chicago 'burb. Hawk guested on a few tracks by the band Chicago.

They were previously known as Bangor Flying Circus, with one LP on ABC.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070203053746/http://www.classicwebs.com/madura.htm

IMHO, their best track is a medley of My Favorite Things/Funky Broadway from Madura II (single LP):

View attachment 47235

Last edited:
Beefalo, do you have another copy of Romantic Warrior to a/b to this? I'd be curious to know if you could hear any difference.

I had an LP as a new release, then a CD, which I still have. About 15 years ago, I had ordered the Japanese SACD 2ch from BOTH Music Direct & Tower Records website. Although they both claimed it was in stock, neither had it.

A couple years ago, a QQ'er remembered that I was looking for it and I bought it from him for $100. THANX!! Most I've paid for an SACD. In all that time, I've yet to a/b the SACD and US CD.

Last edited:
Beefalo, do you have another copy of Romantic Warrior to a/b to this? I'd be curious to know if you could hear any difference.

I had an LP as a new release, then a CD, which I still have. About 15 years ago, I had ordered the Japanese SACD 2ch from BOTH Music Direct & Tower Records website. Although they both claimed it was in stock, neither had it.

A couple years ago, a QQ'er remembered that I was looking for it and I bought it from him for $100. THANX!! Most I've paid for an SACD. In all that time, I've yet to a/b the SACD and US CD.
Unfortunately I don't have another version to compare it to.
I do know that both your SACD and my regular CD were "DSD Mastering from the Original Analogue Master". Both by SME Japan.
I am envious you are in possession of this extremely rare SACD !!!

So many amazing albums came out in 2006 and this is one of my favourites. The Kooks is a Scottish quartet and this was their first album. It was produced, engineered, and mixed by Tony Hoffer (Beck, Depeche Mode). This first effort carries as much talent, charm, energy and irreverence as Supergrass' I Should Coco. Solid songwriting and musicianship make this one a regular play for me. Heard Naive on BBC Radio 6 and became instantly hooked. Highly recommended! :)

R-736470-1244274096.jpeg.jpg

One of my favourite bands out of Liverpool, The Wombats offer a perfect balance of synths and guitars. This Modern Glitch, their second album, is a solid album all the way through and complete with artwork by Storm Thorgerson. I also love the lyrics, deep and zany at the same time. This one makes me dance every time I put it on. For a high energy shot in the arm, this one is definitely recommended. :)

R-2852703-1310286779.jpeg.jpg

R-2852703-1310286844.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Back