Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was browsing Ben Dodson's Spatial database when the name "French 79" caught my eye.
I said to myself, well I like French music and I was born in 79, so let's give it a listen.
Turns out it's pretty good!

"French 79" is indeed a French musician who was also born in 79. We also share the same name, so that's quite a coincidence.
He's style is defiantly in my wheelhouse - 80's electronic dance-pop/synthwave.
Although I think It's not as polished as other electronic greats, but he is getting there.
I'm sure that if he'll join someone and they'll be a French electronic duo, he will get there faster 😉

His latest album "Teenagers" is mixed in Atmos, and for the most part, it's a really good mix, with some great use of surrounds.
If you like Rodrigez Jr., Gaspard Auge and others like them you should defiantly give this album a spin.
Tracks to sample: "Burning Legend", "Memories" & "Freedom"

This music is right up my street and a good mix too.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how to get the Dolby Atmos algorithm working to play back .m4a files with Atmos encoding on a PC through headphones?

Or get it to work with a Nvidia shield connected to an AVR for example? I think if I just plug the headphones into the AVR it doesn't do the 'real' Atmos algorithm stuff

Out of curiosity does anyone know how to get the Dolby Atmos algorithm working to play back .m4a files with Atmos encoding on a PC through headphones?

Or get it to work with a Nvidia shield connected to an AVR for example? I think if I just plug the headphones into the AVR it doesn't do the 'real' Atmos algorithm stuff
Do you have Dolby Access?

Sorry for a bit off-topic, but how are you accomplishing isolating channels while listening? I presume you aren't physically disconnecting speaker wire. :) Just wondering what equipment supports this?
I don't speak for @mkt but in my case I have a preamp/processor so all my speakers are separately amplified. Easy to turn off or mute what you don't want.

Sorry for a bit off-topic, but how are you accomplishing isolating channels while listening? I presume you aren't physically disconnecting speaker wire. :) Just wondering what equipment supports this?
Merging Anubis enables listening to any combination of channels with the tap of a finger. Here's my 7.1.4 setup and screenshots of the Anubis touchscreen interface.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 3.30.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 3.30.43 PM.png

Like ted_b said, I also have a pre/pro and separate amps for each set of speakers. I often isolate center, surrounds and heights when critically analyzing a surround mix. Isolating these speakers really clarifies how a surround mix was put together.

I keep coming back to this one...I think it's the streaming release of the year...so far.
Ooh to have a physical version 👍
I can't talk about the atmos mix, since I haven't listened to it, but the album to me was TOO MUCH, maybe it needs another spin, but when you get so much music genres onto 1 album, it's too dense.

I just can't go there. I'm a surround sound fan, as long as the presentation is pleasing from a multi-channel stand-point, I could care less if the heights are as active as the surrounds. Particularly, when the title in question is not in any other surround version. Cinnamon Girl in surround, 5.1 or heights included is a big win, especially when it sounds as good as this does. Oh, and I'm not talking to you, just responding to the conversation. :)
And, while I'm on my soap-box :hi let me say this. I love Atmos. But, if the base product has crap fidelity, I don't care if 12 speakers are blazing away in Atmos glory. That title will NEVER get played again by me. This is why SO many titles in Atmos are of little interest to me. Additionally, I don't like a majority of the music choices. So, that's an issue for me too. I will always gravitate to my roots, which is 1970's rock.

OK. I feel a bit better now. lmao
I'm with you on all this. It's the overall listening experience that matters. If the material is worthy, and the surround experience and the fidelity is good, I could care less what comes out of the heights.

I can't talk about the atmos mix, since I haven't listened to it, but the album to me was TOO MUCH, maybe it needs another spin, but when you get so much music genres onto 1 album, it's too dense.
You beat me to the punch.
The Atmos mix is indeed awesome, but as you said, It's a bit to much.
It's a pass for me. I don't see myself going back to it in the future.

Back