Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three albums. The third probably has the broadest appeal.

But first a single: this lovely little piano cover of Perfect Day from Wim Wenders’ new film Perfect Days. Not great surround but…

Probably not everyone’s cup of tea. It has a “background” music quality to it. But there’s some interesting surround activity. I’m finding it pleasantly hypnotic.

I’ve also been listening to this, another instrumental album. Its music is more challenging and interesting but it isn’t “alienating” like it might seem. And can one really argue with an album that’s cover is a simple shot of Abbey Road’s legendary Studio 2?

And I’m *really* enjoying this album…

Listened to the Steve Reich album like a year ago and I really liked it. The Atmos was good as well..quite innovative

I was pleasantly surprised, more going on than I expected. Hopefully it's a good sign for the rest of the album.
They went with the "bubble effect" approach and didn't go crazy with discrete channels separation. I feel like the vocals should have been a bit louder ,but overall I like it. Sounds good.

They also released an animated videoclip last week that looks freaking awesome.

They went with the "bubble effect" approach and didn't go crazy with discrete channels separation. I feel like the vocals should have been a bit louder ,but overall I like it. Sounds good.

They also released an animated videoclip last week that looks freaking awesome.

My first thought was the vocals could be raised a little bit but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the Atmos mix.

Listened to this one last night and I was pleasantly entertained. Avoid if you don’t like bass heavy music as this at times had items rattling. The track ‘King of Monsters’ was certainly unique.

That's a great catch! TY

I'm half way through, and oh boy, I don't remember when my subs worked so hard in an Atmos album.
The album is a mix of Grime and sublime electronic sounds.
The Atmos mix is great, but I would really wish that he did some speaker panning with all those electronic sounds that he's throwing there. But still, it's a great ride.

Just be aware of the animated artwork. It will put you in a trance and send you subliminal massages to kill your president or something like that. It's very hypnotic.

Last edited:
My first thought was the vocals could be raised a little bit but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the Atmos mix.
I’m apprehensive about listening to it as the 5.1 sacd is just so good, I hope they get the thunderous bass guitar when it comes at the start right, I’ll let you know in a minute.

I’m apprehensive about listening to it as the 5.1 sacd is just so good, I hope they get the thunderous bass guitar when it comes at the start right, I’ll let you know in a minute.
Ok very different to the 5.1 sacd and I think that is a good thing, the sacd is much more in your face and very discrete, you know exactly what speaker the instruments are coming from with this Atmos mix it’s is more subtle but it’s still great.
The reason the vocals are low is because they are not dedicated to the centre channel, like the sacd version and are competing with main instruments in all speakers.
This really is a case of hard core surround music fans preferring the sacd version and non experienced surround people preferring the Atmos version as it’s not so much in your face.

Nina Simone - Nina's Back

640x640.jpg

Atmos Mix by Phil Levine

Can't see it on Apple Music for some reason?
Tidal - https://tidal.com/album/350364008
Amazon - https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B0CSLZRYWG

Back