Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bradshaw Leigh did these mixes?
200w.gif

What are you listening on?
A 7.4.2 full atmos set up. I have only listened to The Stranger so far, but it was very underwhelming. It's very front-heavy (like Innocent Man). As this had a great 5.1 mix, I had high hopes. But to me, the Drums are too loud, the vocals are too quiet, and there's no real separation of instruments like there is on the SACD. Since my first comment, I listened to The Stranger on headphones, and it sounded much better. It's still quite an odd mix with vox quiet and drums very prominent, but the basslines are lovely and separate when listening on headphones.

A 7.4.2 full atmos set up. I have only listened to The Stranger so far, but it was very underwhelming. It's very front-heavy (like Innocent Man). As this had a great 5.1 mix, I had high hopes. But to me, the Drums are too loud, the vocals are too quiet, and there's no real separation of instruments like there is on the SACD. Since my first comment, I listened to The Stranger on headphones, and it sounded much better. It's still quite an odd mix with vox quiet and drums very prominent, but the basslines are lovely and separate when listening on headphones.
How do you like Machine Head? Does it translate to your particular 7.1.4 system well?

Why even bother with the Billy Joel albums in Atmos? After waiting a long time for The Stranger to be “Atmosed” it’s such a disappointment. The 5.1 SACD is 100 times better. There also seems to be instruments missing in this Atmos mix. It’s a very strange upload
Scenes From An Italian Restaurant is one of my all time favorite songs. I heard it countless times.
This mix is one of the laziest efforts that I've heard of an Atmos mix.
Some cymbals, a bit of drums and that's it?!
I played the 5.1 SACD and there's a night and day difference between them.
If all of the albums sound that way, it will be very disappointing.

Mine sounds great on my full atmos set up - very immersive excellent job IMHO!

Scenes From An Italian Restaurant is one of my all time favorite songs. I heard it countless times.
This mix is one of the laziest efforts that I've heard of an Atmos mix.
Some cymbals, a bit of drums and that's it?!
I played the 5.1 SACD and there's a night and day difference between them.
If all of the albums sound that way, it will be very disappointing.
Different ears I guess....the ATMOS mix on my system is now the standard over the 5.1 SACD which I have played back to back. Just much more depth to the ATMOS version vs the SACD in my opinion.

Different ears I guess....the ATMOS mix on my system is now the standard over the 5.1 SACD which I have played back to back. Just much more depth to the ATMOS version vs the SACD in my opinion.
No way that it's a different ears issue my friend.
Do you hear any separation in this song? Do you heard any discrete instruments in the surround or height level?
I pinned my ears to the left/right surrounds for 30 seconds each time and they are just mimicking the fronts.
Maybe this is an old mix and new one still hasn't uploaded in my territory?
I don't know what it is but there's no way that this is a proper Atmos mix. At least on my Apple tv 4K.
I'll try again tomorrow.

Back