Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today’s *new* releases:
Sheryl Crow’s Evolution:
And the Deluxe, which has a bonus song with Peter Gabriel… in track #2’s slot? Very strange
This one’s making waves in my music circles though I haven’t gotten to it yet, drawing Dua Lipa comparisons
Blu DeTiger - All I Ever Want Is Everything
And from last week, but a glowing review from YouTube Music Critic Anthony Fantano this morning brought to my attention:
Julia Holter - Something In The Room She Moves

This an OK mix, lots of swirling organ and guitar in the surrounds. A little weak in the SB speakers on some songs but nice output in the heights. Pity the BD is buried in a rather expensive box, hoping for a standalone BD or AM will have to do for me. :)
I rather enjoyed the mix, especially on the four songs I focus on when I listen to this album: Maybe I'm a Leo, Pictures of Home, Never Before, and Lazy. There is some nice panning of instruments and vocals, some effective reinforcement of hooks (through reverb?), some use of sounds I've never heard in the songs, and the guitar parts that seemed to be buried on the 2003 SACD are very clear. Lazy is an appreciably better experience to my ears. It's hard for me to listen critically to the remaining songs on the album because their ubiquity on the radio when I was young somehow ruined them for me.

I rather enjoyed the mix, especially on the four songs I focus on when I listen to this album: Maybe I'm a Leo, Pictures of Home, Never Before, and Lazy. There is some nice panning of instruments and vocals, some effective reinforcement of hooks (through reverb?), some use of sounds I've never heard in the songs, and the guitar parts that seemed to be buried on the 2003 SACD are very clear. Lazy is an appreciably better experience to my ears. It's hard for me to listen critically to the remaining songs on the album because their ubiquity on the radio when I was young somehow ruined them for me.
Need to listen to space truckin with drums swirling around the room, very cool.

does it say who mixed it by any chance?

on a few tracks you get a nice enough feeling of expansiveness and crowd whoops and shoops abound (as they should for one of the all-time legendary live performances!) but somehow on other numbers whoever mixed it achieved the feat of taking a live recording of an entire band and shrinking the whole blooming lot down so it all seems to come right in the Centre Front rather than any palpable sense of a stage with a band playing! 🤷🏻‍♀️😩🤦‍♀️

tbh i wonder what the multi's are like (i.e. what's going on in each recorded track and so what realistic options are actually afforded to a would-be mixer of the material) because i remember finding the old 5.1 kinda underwhelming as well.. ah well, maybe this is as good as it's ever gonna get and that's ok i guess because some of the performances are just magical 🤩✌️🥳

does it say who mixed it by any chance?

on a few tracks you get a nice enough feeling of expansiveness and crowd whoops and shoops abound (as they should for one of the all-time legendary live performances!) but somehow on other numbers whoever mixed it achieved the feat of taking a live recording of an entire band and shrinking the whole blooming lot down so it all seems to come right in the Centre Front rather than any palpable sense of a stage with a band playing! 🤷🏻‍♀️😩🤦‍♀️

tbh i wonder what the multi's are like (i.e. what's going on in each recorded track and so what realistic options are actually afforded to a would-be mixer of the material) because i remember finding the old 5.1 kinda underwhelming as well.. ah well, maybe this is as good as it's ever gonna get and that's ok i guess because some of the performances are just magical 🤩✌️🥳
It's Chuck Ainlay.

blimey.. 😱 i'd expect something more Surround-ily adventurous from him tbh.. 👀
thanks for the info anyway! ✌️🙏
I don’t know about you guys but I’m listening on Airpods (not home to listen on the system yet), and I like the quality of the new mix. The guitars are clearer and you can hear how crunchy they sound. It sounds like it’s more raw and less processing and compression.

Back