Listening to Now In DSD Downloads - Multichannel, Stereo or Mono

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the DSD download sounds better, who cares?
That's what comparos are about.
I'm still skeptical but I'm going to download it anyway already have the original CD, the MFSL CD and the SACD because in certain cases I'm a sucker.
At least with downloads, I don't get bent over for shipping.
Edit:
This is how pathetic I am.
I checked and I already have the Elvis Stereo '57.
Listening now and yup it is superior but I still like Elvis Is Back! as much.
So there.

Not a fair contest. The download came from a better source.

And downloads can come from the original Edit Masters or Cutting Masters (Native DSD, Blue Coast, DSD File, some Acoustic Sounds titles) vs. having to be processed for optical disc with packing, copy protection, etc. Not a fair fight, perhaps.

In the end, the key is what sounds better - not which one had to suffer through more steps along the way to playback.

And downloads can come from the original Edit Masters or Cutting Masters (Native DSD, Blue Coast, DSD File, some Acoustic Sounds titles) vs. having to be processed for optical disc with packing, copy protection, etc. Not a fair fight, perhaps.

In the end, the key is what sounds better - not which one had to suffer through more steps along the way to playback.

Here's the download: master tape -> DSD

Here's the SACD: master tape -> PCM -> DSD

That's the problem. If PCM had been left out it would have been a fair contest.

Sophia Loren, Bill Clinton and Mikael Gorbachev join Kent Nagano conducting the Russian National Orchestra in performances of Peter and the Wolf and Wolf Tracks in 5 Channel Surround Sound on Pentatone. This one is a lot of fun between the performances and the three famous story tellers.

On sale through 4/23 in celebration of Prokofiev's Birthday. Use the offer code Prokofiev-Week and the COMBI Option (Stereo & Multichannel package for one low price) to get both the Stereo and Multichannel versions of this DSD Download for $22.50 at the Native DSD Downloads store.

Cover - 600w.jpg

Peter & the Wolf - Kent Nagano conducting the Russian National Orchestra with Sophia Loren, Bill Clinton and Mikael Gorbachev (Pentatone Music Multichannel + Stereo DSD Downloads 5186011)
https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/albums/peter-and-the-wolf

Sophia Loren, Bill Clinton and Mikael Gorbachev join Kent Nagano conducting the Russian National Orchestra in performances of Peter and the Wolf and Wolf Tracks in 5 Channel Surround Sound on Pentatone. This one is a lot of fun between the performances and the three famous story tellers.

On sale through 4/23 in celebration of Prokofiev's Birthday. Use the offer code Prokofiev-Week and the COMBI Option (Stereo & Multichannel package for one low price) to get both the Stereo and Multichannel versions of this DSD Download for $22.50 at the Native DSD Downloads store.

View attachment 18281

Peter & the Wolf - Kent Nagano conducting the Russian National Orchestra with Sophia Loren, Bill Clinton and Mikael Gorbachev (Pentatone Music Multichannel + Stereo DSD Downloads 5186011)
https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/albums/peter-and-the-wolf

or $18.55 for the SACD from Amazon ... this doesn't get very good reviews.

this doesn't get very good reviews.

And in some cases it does get good reviews. Fanfare Magazine's review:

"Here’s a recording that should get plenty of attention... Kent Nagano leads the Russian National Orchestra with a light hand, and his wind soloists are especially excellent. Sophia Loren is [an] expressive narrator... Former President Clinton renders Kraemer’s words with the same sort of down-home feeling and intelligence that made him such an effective politician... Beintus’s music [is] solidly crafted... The orchestra has been richly and closely recorded... It’s hard to object to the motivations behind this project. Unless you’re against World Peace, or wolves. "

I find that the Tea for the Tillerman DSD Download has more definition than the Stereo SACD. Interestingly there was an audio show shoot-out between the two that had the attendees favoring the DSD Download by a significant margin.
It got suckered in by your post and downloaded the straight to DSD master by Gus Skinas as much as it galled me.
After a couple of straight comparos and a couple non-comparative listens, the native DSD transfer is..... better, ya bastard.
I don't know about separation or definition but it just floats out of my system.
I don't normally describe SQ this way but there is no doubt it is superior, more musical, real, definitive.
I don't want to appear snobbish so of course I am but I highly doubt that 90% of people would notice.
But then again we aren't talking about the 90% here are we ;)
Thanks for the expensive but worthwhile tip my friend.

It got suckered in by your post and downloaded the straight to DSD master by Gus Skinas as much as it galled me.
After a couple of straight comparos and a couple non-comparative listens, the native DSD transfer is..... better, ya bastard.
I don't know about separation or definition but it just floats out of my system.
I don't normally describe SQ this way but there is no doubt it is superior, more musical, real, definitive.
I don't want to appear snobbish so of course I am but I highly doubt that 90% of people would notice.
But then again we aren't talking about the 90% here are we ;)
Thanks for the expensive but worthwhile tip my friend.

That's the reward for having a nice audio system.

I was tipped off to this one at an audio show a year ago when they were comparing the different versions of the album. I'm sure the system they were using at the show was much pricier than mine. But the improvement with the Stereo DSD Download edition was immediately noticeable. So Acoustic Sounds made another DSD Downloads sale right there! :)

That's the reward for having a nice audio system.

I was tipped off to this one at an audio show a year ago when they were comparing the different versions of the album. I'm sure the system they were using at the show was much pricier than mine. But the improvement with the Stereo DSD Download edition was immediately noticeable. So Acoustic Sounds made another DSD Downloads sale right there! :)
You jogged my memory, I've never filled out my system profiles here.
Nice or not it's what I got :)

Oh, and I did get the 10% off TFTT from Super-Hi-Rez

You jogged my memory, I've never filled out my system profiles here.
Nice or not it's what I got :)

Oh, and I did get the 10% off TFTT from Super-Hi-Rez

Yes, I went over to Acoustic Sounds last night and did some damage to the credit card account. Always good to get in on those sales.... :)

Now playing in DSD Stereo, "Our Gang" by the Anthony Wilson Trio. These days, Wilson is best known as the guitarist backing Diana Krall.

Our Gang is a Direct to 2 Track DSD Live Recording of Wilson and his jazz trio. The Stereo DSD Download was created from the SACD Cutting Master by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center.
Very nice!

The Anthony Wilson Trio - Our Gang.jpg

Our Gang - Anthony Wilson (Groove Note Stereo DSD Download 1008)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...o-Our_Gang-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

First play of Ahmad Jamal - Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra (DSD Stereo)

This sounds exactly what I thought it would sound like. Very sparse, yet "you are there" sound. Very life like for sure.

XUNI47612D64__104237__03092015034541-2591.jpg

First play of Ahmad Jamal - Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra (DSD Stereo)

This sounds exactly what I thought it would sound like. Very sparse, yet "you are there" sound. Very life like for sure.

XUNI47612D64__104237__03092015034541-2591.jpg

An excellent Stereo DSD Download. Hard to believe it was created from a Vinyl LP needle drop by Gus Skinas from the Super Audio Center.
Highly recommended !

Take One by Piltch and Davis from the Holly Cole Trio.

A very nice acoustic Jazz recording. Transferred from Analog Master Tape to Stereo DSD and Double Rate DSD (DSD 128fs) by 2xHD. Not available on SACD.
Recommended - and # 1 on the Native DSD Top Downloads chart today.

2XHDAR1036 - 400w.jpg

Take One - Piltch and Davis (2xHD DSD Download 2XHDAR1036)
https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/take-one

Top 10 Downloads - April 25 2015.jpg

Top 10 DSD Downloads at Native DSD - April 25, 2015
http://www.nativedsd.com

I just downloaded a freebie sampler from Native - only it won't play on Foobar for some reason...here is error message I get. Any ideas fellow users??

Unrecoverable playback error: The specified module could not be found. (0x8007007E)

I don't really know, I can play all my other DSD files via Foobar....for example, both Alan Parsons I can easily play.

In theory you need to have both of those drivers (SACD and ASIO) installed for DSD files to play with Foobar.

The error message "The specified module could not be found" indicates Foobar is looking for a module that you haven't installed.
I'd suggest downloading and installing both modules - SACD and DSD - using the Audiostream instructions and see if that solves the problem.

Which DSD Sampler isn't playing?

In theory you need to have both of those drivers (SACD and ASIO) installed for DSD files to play with Foobar.

The error message "The specified module could not be found" indicates Foobar is looking for a module that you haven't installed.
I'd suggest downloading and installing both modules - SACD and DSD - using the Audiostream instructions and see if that solves the problem.

Which DSD Sampler isn't playing?

It's called Pentecost Fanfare and oddly enough, it now plays. I didn't change anything. Oh well......go figure.

Back