Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scheherazade by Renaissance:

Renaissance is among my all time favorite groups and Ocean Gypsy among my favorite songs. With that being said this is definitely an album where music wins out over SQ in terms of how much I play it. Nothing wrong with the sound but SQ is at best just above average. If AF releases another Renaisscane album I'll preorder it.

Scheherazade by Renaissance:

Renaissance is among my all time favorite groups and Ocean Gypsy among my favorite songs. With that being said this is definitely an album where music wins out over SQ in terms of how much I play it. Nothing wrong with the sound but SQ is at best just above average. If AF releases another Renaisscane album I'll preorder it.

A great band I saw them loads of times, "Live At Carnegie Hall" is one of my favourites, an album I bought once I'd got my first grant cheque (way back in the days when we got student grants!). The AF release of Scheherazade is good.

Steely Dan SHM SACD-AJA-this was my first SHM SACD purchase and when I first listened to it I was disappointed...I think I was expecting too much and I didn't believe what Adam calls the "Voodoo" about SHM discs sounding better with more plays...but when I listen to it now I love it...some feel that there isn't enough bass...but for me it's fine...would I love it more if it was multi channel...of course I would...but that's never going to happen..

It's been years since I heard that CD; so I can't give you a valid comparison....since I like Styx a lot I purchased both the SHM-SACD version and the Audio Fidelity SACD to see if there was any difference in quality between those 2....both these SACD's were taken from the same source...I really couldn't hear any difference in the versions.....neither one had that heavy compression that I hate....there is a small amount of brightness in the instruments when the volume is cranked up....but not that ear bleeding effect that some discs have....although SHM-SACD's do seem to improve the more they are played.....
That's interesting those two sound the same on your system. I heard quite a bit of difference between the AF SACD and the platinum SHM CD with the platinum SHM CD quite noticeably better sounding than the other.

That's interesting those two sound the same on your system. I heard quite a bit of difference between the AF SACD and the platinum SHM CD with the platinum SHM CD quite noticeably better sounding than the other.

They were both taken from the same source; which is not the normal deal. I was surprised when they had those 2 releases from the same source at around the same time. I've never purchased a SHM-CD; would you say they are equal to the SHM-SACD's or does it depend on the individual disc?

If there was any difference in the bass management on the SHM version I wouldn't be able to detect it as my system is designed to de-emphasize the bass.

They were both taken from the same source; which is not the normal deal. I was surprised when they had those 2 releases from the same source at around the same time. I've never purchased a SHM-CD; would you say they are equal to the SHM-SACD's or does it depend on the individual disc?

If there was any difference in the bass management on the SHM version I wouldn't be able to detect it as my system is designed to de-emphasize the bass.
I heard more bass in the AF as if some EQ was used to pump it up a bit. Maybe why you noticed no difference since you de-emphasize bass for your neighbors.

I'd have to buy the same title on platinum SHM CD and SHM SACD to answer your question about whether they sound equal or not. Haven't had the spare funds to try this experiment yet but someday I hope.

I heard more bass in the AF as if some EQ was used to pump it up a bit. Maybe why you noticed no difference since you de-emphasize bass for your neighbors.

I'd have to buy the same title on platinum SHM CD and SHM SACD to answer your question about whether they sound equal or not. Haven't had the spare funds to try this experiment yet but someday I hope.

I've always been skeptical about the numerous CD variants outside of SACD....they seem like marketing ploys to me...

I think that one sounds terrific. I now have Pretzel Logic on order.

I'm very happy with it...only about 6 or 7 plays on the SHM SACD and it's already improved...it's not in the same league as Gaucho..but of course that's a MC disc.... but Steely Dan and Donald Fagen have set the bar very high on their hi rez discs and not every one can be a 10...but you are right...it sounds very good...love the content even more because I haven't heard those songs for a long time...I will grab Pretzel Logic too...

When someone is new to hi rez I steer them towards Steely Dan/Fagen and Elton John...I sometimes get these questions like.."are you serious"..or "I'm not too crazy about them"...but after they grab one of those discs the whole thing turns around...

The Doobie Brothers "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" the Mobile Fidelity SACD. My old stereo LP was worn out and I realised I'd never bought it on CD. It comes over very well on the SACD.

Back