Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW - listening now to Jeff Beck Blow by Blow SACD only in multichannel (and stereo) engineered by Darcy Proper. Excellent!

Walked right into Tower Records and the Q8 was there. After BBA we weren't sure what this was but it soon became a favorite!

Tapatalk

Speaking of dark...

Genesis-Duke DTS 96/24 (I don't bother with SACDs anymore!)

Used to have it on LP but I always found it too depressing....

Very little BASS in here
Favorite song...Mike's "Man of our times"

High lonesome road Vince Gill.
Linda I don't have a blue ray yet. I guess it's time to get into the the year 2000 :eek:

Well this week its Porcupine Tree listening time and having great fun listening to the genius that Steven Wilson and friends are, great music.
Last week started with Stupid Dream,Lightbulb Sun,In Absentia and Deadwing.
This week FOBP and The Incident on deck.

So many great moments in these albums,one thing noticing again that the 2 recordings that Elliot Scheiner did(In Absentia and Deadwing), the mixes are good but the others that Steven did by himself, the flatter recording's sound better to my ear.
Wonder why they were boosted a bit more as most of Elliot's recordings of the classic bands are very flat recordings(e.g. VanMorrison-Moondance is very flat recording,sounds so smooth as a result), wonder why he boosted these 2 PT titles.
If and when Steven redoes these 2 I will buy in a flash as these are good albums and would love to hear the differences.

peter

Well this week its Porcupine Tree listening time ...

So many great moments in these albums,one thing noticing again that the 2 recordings that Elliot Scheiner did(In Absentia and Deadwing), the mixes are good but the others that Steven did by himself, the flatter recording's sound better to my ear.
Wonder why they were boosted a bit more as most of Elliot's recordings of the classic bands are very flat recordings(e.g. VanMorrison-Moondance is very flat recording,sounds so smooth as a result), wonder why he boosted these 2 PT titles.
If and when Steven redoes these 2 I will buy in a flash as these are good albums and would love to hear the differences.

peter

I've recently started ripping the stereo tracks to FLAC from many of my DVD-As, BD-As etc at their original rates (food for my Pono) and also measuring Dynamic Range as I go. In Absentia stereo tracks are only around DR7 so no wonder SW wants to do these again. Deadwing has better DR, this is also true for the surround mixes.

As I've said in previous posts, these two PT albums also need a bit more bass in their mixes (compare to the live versions on Arriving Somewhere DVD for room shaking bass)

When SW does remix I will be amoungst the first pre-orders and with express delivery to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back