Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been spinning this album all week, off & on. Both an 80s CD as well as this 2011 Steven Wilson remix LP. What an album! Not a bad song on there.

Reading the liner notes about how arduous the sessions were, it's surprising, you'd never know listening to it. Like those Chateauneuf du Pape grape vines, sometimes an artists best work gets produced under duress.

aqualung.jpg

1000003612.jpg

Wow, what a disappointing album! Sadly it was the last Heep album with Gary Thain. But, to be honest there isn't a standout track on this entire album. It doesn't help that the US press on Warner Bros. sounds terrible. I'm sure the UK or German Bronze sound better, but I don't like the album enough to splurge for the Bronze. Thankfully, they rebounded with the follow-up Return To Fantasy, which I like quite a bit.

That cover shot reminds me of Robin Williams in "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen"

king-of-the-moon.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

Maybe that's where Terry Gilliam got the idea from: Sergei's about to devour that poor woman!

Pretty funky crop too, if you've ever seen the original photo they took his head from.

LA Woman - Doors 180 LP from super deluxe box
Secret Life of Plants - Stevie Wonder 2 LP
Best of Spike Jones (v1) RCA LP
Legends of the Lost & Found (New Greatest Hits Live) - Harry Chapin 2 LP
Spike Jones, best of? I didn't know there was such an album! I must check around. All I have is 1st issue LP Dinner Music.

Some pretty great organ playing, on a spectacular pipe organ. Originally released in mono from a 1961? recording: this is in stereo but it sounds like 2 mics to me, so I don't think it's the dreaded "electronically re-channelled" from mono.

Sounds better the louder you turn it up.

RFHL.jpg

View attachment 105018
Wow, what a disappointing album! Sadly it was the last Heep album with Gary Thain. But, to be honest there isn't a standout track on this entire album. It doesn't help that the US press on Warner Bros. sounds terrible. I'm sure the UK or German Bronze sound better, but I don't like the album enough to splurge for the Bronze. Thankfully, they rebounded with the follow-up Return To Fantasy, which I like quite a bit.
That's too bad, it's a great album cover!

I like their old material. I think "the wizard" was one of the first tunes I learned to play on gtr.

That's too bad, it's a great album cover!

I like their old material. I think "the wizard" was one of the first tunes I learned to play on gtr.
My band played "Lady in Black", "Sunrise" and "Gypsy". Our guitar player was improving rapidly, but he couldn't figure out how to play "The Wizard". I seem to remember that it is an odd tuning, which he never used.

Back