Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Horn again, solo flute on location.

This time he's in the Taj Mahal, 1968. Atmosopheric stuff: big natural reverb.

horn_inside.jpg

Ah, cool. There is a fellow singing occasionally: solo too, but I don't think it's Paul Horn as he's using non-western scales?

I don't have the insert it's probably explained on it.

I prefer the flute bits, but in all it's a neat recording of a distinct time & place.

His pyramid of Giza recording is quite good too.

Oh man, this is funny! From wiki

"Initially, Horn wanted a photograph of the Taj Mahal on the front cover, but "freaked out" when he saw what Epic had decided upon: a close up of his face from the top of his eyes to his chin."

I was wondering about that....I was thinking the Taj Mahal on the cover would be more appropriate, glad I'm not alone! Lol

Fascinating! Never heard of Paul Horn, looked him up with this title and I'm intrigued. Ordered a near mint copy on discogs. :)

That has to be my favorite thing about this site, great artists that I've never heard of......opening my music taste.
That's also what I love about Rhinos Quadio's, as the last couple bundles have included an unknown (to me) artist......BUT, Iam still stuck in the 70's, with listening habits 😂

Today I have the new album from Judas Priest - Invincible Shield double picture disc, the colours on this are stunning and the music isn't half bad either. Judas Priest are a band I saw play live many times back in the '80s.
View attachment 102986

I'm OK with the music. Wondering how is the fidelity? Standard crispy, with horrible dynamics?

Today I have the new album from Judas Priest - Invincible Shield double picture disc, the colours on this are stunning and the music isn't half bad either. Judas Priest are a band I saw play live many times back in the '80s.
View attachment 102986
I saw them 3 may be 4 times in the mid-late 70s, first few times they were the support band!

ACC62600-A2F8-44F0-89F9-2BDD647487CB.jpeg

Eddie Schwartz - No Refuge

2nd album (1981) from this Toronto artist (whose biggest claim to fame was writing Hit Me With Your Best Shot).
Apparently 3 tracks from the album got airplay on both sides of the border but I don’t recognize anything here.
Decent pop/rock, nothing special.

Picked up this 1983 soundtrack by Vangelis, Japanese pressing. Great synth sounds, very well done. A bit dated due to some of the 80s drum sounds but "chariots of fire" was a HUGE hit and part of his signature sound, so it's to be expected.

antarctica.jpg

Then I watched the film. A sad story based on a real Japanese expedition to Antarctica that happened in the 50s. And the Sakhalin huskies they were forced to leave behind.

Hunt down the Japanese version ( of the film ) it is a longer cut.

wiki link

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back