Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1000002646.jpg

One of my all-time faves! UK first press.

1000002666.jpg

US Promo Press

Unfortunately Crack The Sky didn't make too much of a dent in the prog world outside of the Baltimore area. I mean most prog heads have heard of them I'm sure, but listening is another story. They were so good until the 80's. Lots of Nektar and Queen influence, I'm hearing. Great album!

Last edited:
You want to hear a good drum mix?

Play this LP through a good setup, and turn it up.

You could even argue the drums are too prominent: but Martin Deller is on fire here, and the sound is stupendous. 1978 release, so still analog gear I think? Must have been a nice board, compressors, mics, engineers, the whole 9 yards.

black_noise.jpg

Plus killer synth, bass, electric violin: Nash the Slash is ripping it up, Cameron Hawkins too.

Wow, look what I found

Allen Toussaint, The Meters, Dr. John backing. First time I've heard backing vocals run through a Leslie speaker? Pretty wild.

Aside from that Pink Floyd song, but those were lead vocals. Echoes, wasn't it?

Great harmonica!

View attachment 102245
I'm a huge fan of Richard Newell aka King Biscuit Boy RIP!
Lovers & Leapers is funky & catchy. Toussaint!
Bough this one on LP and a Japan CD

spins:

Pyramid of the Moon - Azteca
On the Boards - Taste UK LP
Bobby Gentry & Glen Campbell

You want to hear a good drum mix?

Play this LP through a good setup, and turn it up.

You could even argue the drums are too prominent: but Martin Deller is on fire here, and the sound is stupendous. 1978 release, so still analog gear I think? Must have been a nice board, compressors, mics, engineers, the whole 9 yards.

View attachment 102248

Plus killer synth, bass, electric violin: Nash the Slash is ripping it up, Cameron Hawkins too.
This was one of the first albums when I started my vinyl revival. I love this album. Not a bad song on it. I was lucky enough to see them play most of this album at NEARfest several years back.

Oops that came out in 1977

Here is a direct-to-disc live recording. It doesn't have quite the punch of the other ( missing that magic tape compression? Haha ) but it's probably due to the different studio gear & techniques.

Different songs

View attachment 102280
This one is interesting. I found out that there were two different pressings. If I recall one has a different take of Side 2. I did not know of this until I put the info into Discogs.

Back