Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil Finn - Sessions at West 54th DVD-V 5.1 DD

View attachment 17022

Though Dolby only, an excellent live surround mix.

Thanks so much for pointing this one out. I had bought the DVD long before I has a surround sound system, watched it a few times way back when but hadn't watched it since. Dusted it off tonight for a watch/listen. It indeed does have a pretty nice surround mix compared to most covert videos. Finn is one of my all-time favorite songwriters. Can't believe I've been letting this little gem be ignored all this time. Thanks again :sun

I've had Peachtree for years and years. It never grew on me...maybe I need to give it another listen....

Well, the country influence on this one is a bit too much for my taste, but the sound is very warm and the mix feels exceptionally organic. Fave tracks: Weight of the World, Answer in the Sky, They Call Her the Cat, Too Many Tears

Searching for Sugarman documentary. It has got a wonderful soundtrack mixed in 5.1 with the songs actually mixed in surround. Does anybody know if there's any of Rodriguez's work mixed is surround?
For those who did not see the documentary or know about Rodriguez, I strongly recommend it

Searching for Sugarman documentary. It has got a wonderful soundtrack mixed in 5.1 with the songs actually mixed in surround. Does anybody know if there's any of Rodriguez's work mixed is surround?
For those who did not see the documentary or know about Rodriguez, I strongly recommend it

Thank you for the great feedback! (y)

I got a freebie of the DVD (I used to work for the co-producers) but I've never watched the film (the shame of it!).. Needless to say, I will watch it now I know it's in 5.1..! :)

Thanks so much for pointing this one out. I had bought the DVD long before I has a surround sound system, watched it a few times way back when but hadn't watched it since. Dusted it off tonight for a watch/listen. It indeed does have a pretty nice surround mix compared to most covert videos. Finn is one of my all-time favorite songwriters. Can't believe I've been letting this little gem be ignored all this time. Thanks again :sun

If you liked Neil Finn - Sessions at West 54th DVD-V 5.1 DD live mix, check out the bluray of Bring On the Night. It's not in hirez but the 5.1 mix is very good. The first few chapters set up the show but then it's live music after that...

41SqkiixEBL.jpg

Just picked this up after somebody here recommended it. Wow, me likey! Haven't listened to Gaucho in its entirety in a long time and that might have been treat enough but what an excellent sounding 5.1 mix!

Agree that the doc is well done and I second your recommendation. Don't know if any of his work was mixed in surround but for those who have Amazon Prime, his album Cold Fact, which was the basis for much of the story, is available free there. It's as relevant today as it was when it was released IMO and worth a listen.

41L0yIfdI6L._SY355_.jpg

Another fresh purchase. I took a chance on this as I couldn't find a review here at QQ when I ordered it (found one now from some years ago). Smooth jazz that the 5.1 mix opened up to the room nicely. Not sure this isn't one of those discs that a CD played in Dolby PLII wouldn't sound very similar, but I like it.

Attachments

• s-l140.jpg
    s-l140.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 98
View attachment 17077

Another fresh purchase. I took a chance on this as I couldn't find a review here at QQ when I ordered it (found one now from some years ago). Smooth jazz that the 5.1 mix opened up to the room nicely. Not sure this isn't one of those discs that a CD played in Dolby PLII wouldn't sound very similar, but I like it.

Thanks for the reminder (y)

I haven't played this since I bought it (not always a sign of anything in particular though it has come to mean something's not struck me as all that on more than one occasion since I got into this surround game!) but I have a recollection it sounded kinda nice, the mix was kinda nice and the music, well, you guessed it, kinda nice (I'm hesitating to say average all round!) it was all just "kinda nice" I think.. I'll give it another go and see how it ranks on the nice-o-meter now! :D

Is there a QQ Poll for this one?

Thanks for the reminder (y)

I haven't played this since I bought it (not always a sign of anything in particular though it has come to mean something's not struck me as all that on more than one occasion since I got into this surround game!) but I have a recollection it sounded kinda nice, the mix was kinda nice and the music, well, you guessed it, kinda nice (I'm hesitating to say average all round!) it was all just "kinda nice" I think.. I'll give it another go and see how it ranks on the nice-o-meter now! :D

Is there a QQ Poll for this one?

Here, though response was sparse: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?5952-David-Benoit-American-Landscape-(DTS-disc)

Hi. ALL
I came across a bargain in one of New Zealand chain stores called the Ware House, they were selling of SACD Disc of Classical music for ($2.19 us) so I bought 17 of them little over $32 us dollars. I have opened one, "The Straus Family" and it sounds great, I am not a classical buff but I do like listening. grate find.
BILL... :banana:

IMG_0147.jpg

Hi. ALL
I came across a bargain in one of New Zealand chain stores called the Ware House, they were selling of SACD Disc of Classical music for ($2.19 us) so I bought 17 of them little over $32 us dollars. I have opened one, "The Straus Family" and it sounds great, I am not a classical buff but I do like listening. grate find.
BILL... :banana:

View attachment 17081

That is crazy! I would have done the same thing. Not a big classical fan, but I doubt I could have passed up such good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back