Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure Getz - Stan Getz SACD 5.1
Southland of the Heart - Maria Muldaur Dolby Surround CD
Waitress in a Donut Shop - Maria Muldaur CD-4
What Were Once Vices... Doobie Brothers CD-4
Live - Alison Krauss & Union Station SACD 5.1
Best of Doors CD-4
Countdown to Ecstasy - Steely Dan QS
Kabuki Wuki - John Lee Hooker QS
Tchaikovsky: 1812 - Kunzel Cincinnati DVD-A
On an Island - David Gilmour (incl in Live at Gdansk box) DD 5.1 Crosby & Nash guest, I also saw them on Letterman in 5.1 last night
Overnite Sensation - Zappa/Mothers CD-4
Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel SQ

Linda
Half of the Time We're Gone, But We Don't Know Where

Open Our Eyes - Earth, Wind & Fire SQ
John Dawson Winter III SQ
Shock Treatment - Edgar Winter SQ
Svengali - Gil Evans CD-4
Love, Devotion & Surrender - Santana/Mclaughlin SQ
Moving Waves - Focus Q8
360* of Billy Paul SQ
Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan QS
Paul Horn & the Concert Ensemble Q8
Wurst of PDQ Bach - Prof. Peter Schickele SQ Is this guy kidding? Yer mudder wears construction boots.
Spitfire - Jefferson Starship CD-4
Workingman's Dead - Grateful Dead DVD-A
Mirror Image - Blood, Sweat & Tears SQ
JT - James Taylor SACD 5.1
Best of Junior Wells Dolby Surround CD

Linda

Secret Treaties - Blue Oyster Cult SQ
Tres Hombres - ZZ Top Q8
Playing Possum - Carly Simon CD-4
Blood, Sweat & Tears Q8
The Last Concert - Modern Jazz Quartet CD-4 they reunited later
Plastic Dreams - Modern Jazz Quartet Q8
Venus & Mars - McCartney DTS CD
Mama Lion Q8
Brain Salad Surgery - ELP DVD-A My first, in a CD-size jewel box
Best of Ramsey Lewis Q8

Linda
Got This Sickness to Live, That I Might Die

As my back recovers from its shock, I'm able to listen to some more stuff...

Talking Heads '77 (they sounded....HAPPY!!! it was a totally different band)
Talking Heads-More songs about Buildings and food -DVD-A (They got "serious" on this one..I think they discovered the Peruvian Marching Powder.....Tina Weymouth kicks some SERIOUS ass on her bass-she is the REAL revelation!!!)
King Crimson-ITCOTCK DVD-A (can't get enough of this one)
Björk - Medulla on DVD-A (a couple of levels above the SACD)
Depressed..erm, I mean, Depeche Mode-Ultra DTS 96/24 (the SACDs are just there gathering shelf time and dust)

Depeche Mode - Exciter DTS 96/24 (No SACD here)
and,
a personal surround recording_
"Taha'a at Noon" DTS CD
recorded with my Zoom Quad recorder
On the small island in the middle of the photo, I positioned the recorder looking east with the wind and waves on the opposite direction(red arrow)....
...best honeymoon ever and about 50 minutes of BLISS to remember it by....

Tahaa.jpg

Emmylou Harris - Producers Cut DVD-A
Moody Blues - To Our Children's Chiildren's Children SACD
David Crosby - If Only I could Remember My Name DVD-A
KC - SABB DVD-A

Had a few people over so I wow'ed them with:
Pink Floyd - DSOTM 4.0 Quad Mix
Pink Floyd - WYWH 4.0 & 5.1 Blu-ray
Deep Purple - Machine Head Quad SACD
Roxy Music - Avalon SACD
Beatles - Love DVD-A
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink DVD Dullby
KC - Red

May have got one of them "hooked" :spot

How many have you had?:D:D:D

yeah yeah,,you got me :rolleyes: ... but I bet it's almost impossible to improve and I highly recommend it....I was born in Puerto Rico and grew up going to exotic beaches(well, and grew up ON the beach)...but, lemme tell ya...Bora and Taha'a are ANOTHER WORLD!!!
didn't have to even change the time on my watch!

back to the thread;

-Queen - ANATO-DVD-A (Hollywood records 2002)
-Roxy Music -Avalon SACD(I remember listening to "The space between" in WMMR (or WYSP) in Philly way back in 1982, and was so pleasantly surprised to discover in 2008 it was track 2 of this disc..BONUS!! (i.e. I never had this on LP, CD or Cassette) ...now why couldn't they release this on DVD-A???
-Cornelius - Five Point One DTS 96/24....a real fun one

Edgar Winter- Jasmine nightdreams DTS- CD
Elton John-GBYBR DVD-A (30th anniv)
Doobie Bros.- Takin' it to the streets DTS CD (positive that it's from a master tape-sounds too good to be an upmix-too much separation on rear channels)

Linda....kwad kitty..where are you? (opened up a can of tuna!!!)..here kittykittykitty
^^
>`´<
\
...meowsurroundpurrr????

Wings-Venus and Mars DTS CD (would LOVE to hear one day the Q8 version of that....AND I HAVE IT ... NEW!!!!---just got no player)...my favorite Wings album...
Sting-10 Summoner's tales....DTS -CD (ain't no other) My favorite Sting CD..slowly starting to grow on me...still flat as a pancake....
Jean Michel Jarre-Aero...pretty cool!!!
Rush-Moving Pictures DVD-A..."extended stereo -often slammed mix" but still great to have it in all its 96/24 glory!

EDIT: one more!
Deep Purple-Machine Head DVD-A (from Q4)..weird, different mix ---cool , though....

Last edited:
Last 2 days

Eagles - Hotel California SACD
King Crimson - In the court of Crimson King DVD-A
Depeche Mode - Music for the masses SACD
Steven Wilson - Grace for drowning Blu Ray
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells SACD
Genesis - Selling England by the pound SACD

Live at Carnegie Hall. 1970 from Stand Up 2CD/DVD-V Collector's Edition - Jethro Tull DTS 5.1, audio only. 3 channels in front, audience in rear. Get it!
Mass - Leonard Bernstein SQ
Someday, My Price Will Come - Miles Davis SACD 3ch
Supernatural - Santana DVD-A
#1's - Elvis DVD-A
16 greatest - Grassroots Q8
greatest - Tommy James Q8
Rhymin' Simon - Paul Simon SQ
Nightmares - J Geils CD-4
Irrlicht - Klaus Schulze QS German Import

Linda

Da World is a Ghet-to - War Q8 I partied and shot pool with them in between shows in the late '90s.
Graham Central Station CD-4
Sly & the Family Stone's Greatest - SQ Quad is the ONLY way to listen to this.
Al Green's Greatest DVD-A
3+3 - Isley Brothers SACD 5.1
War Child - Jethro Tull CD-4
Turnstyles - Billy Joel SQ
Streetlife Serenade - Bill Joel SQ
Holst: Planets - Tomita Dolby Surround CD
Shaman - Santana DVD-A
Honey - Ohio Playas - DTS CD

Linda
It Ain't No Fun to Me

Da World is a Ghet-to - War Q8 I partied and shot pool with them in between shows in the late '90s.
Graham Central Station CD-4
Sly & the Family Stone's Greatest - SQ Quad is the ONLY way to listen to this.
Al Green's Greatest DVD-A
3+3 - Isley Brothers SACD 5.1
War Child - Jethro Tull CD-4
Turnstyles - Billy Joel SQ
Streetlife Serenade - Bill Joel SQ
Holst: Planets - Tomita Dolby Surround CD
Shaman - Santana DVD-A
Honey - Ohio Playas - DTS CD

Linda
It Ain't No Fun to Me

Hey Linda, don't know if you're interested, but as with the Edgar Winter "White Trash", there is a Q4 conversion on the 'noid of the Sly Stone.(AMAOF, I think there are TWO of them!)...now , the only drawback is to have enough seeders to d/l it; that's why I prefer file sharing sites like MU, etc....
Cheers from Madrid and keep the info coming...

Thanks, Kap'n! That conversion sounds great!

Sadly, I don't have a Q4 deck. And unlike Q8's, I can't play a Q4 twice through on my 2ch 3300. lol! I've owned several Q4 decks over the years and need another.

After posting, I realized that people might take my Sly comments the wrong way. I was saying that Quad was the way to listen to Sly, not necessarily in SQ. I own a Q8 and SQ of it. I've mostly heard the Q8 over the years. For the last 30+ years, I prefer to listen to matrix over Q8 where possible. I'd rather sacrifice the discreteness for the far better fidelity of vinyl. That coincides with my first high-end seperates system. Getting in from a date at 2AM didn't help my clarity. lol!!

10 years ago, I purchased my second seperates system and this one does all the modern surround formats. Quad, too w/4DD5, SQD-2020 and CR-80DSS attached. Way more synthesis options than I ever had before. A few years later, I bought an upgraded preamp. I own three preamps now, two are modern surround. I've owned 4 preamps: h/k Citation, Philips and 2 B&K's.

Although there are more expensive and better performing seperates, I've immensely enjoyed selling and owning B&K. B&K was kind enough to upgrade my Ref 20 peamp to 6-channel in's for free when I upgraded to the Ref 50, which has 6 ch in's already. They also upgraded my ref 4430 3-ch power amp to balanced lines, or XLR connectors for free, as well. My 2ch ref 4420, which I use for the fronts already had them. This summer, I upgraded the subwoofer to a Rel T-9 and the bass has never been as tight and low. Head and shoulders the best gear I've ever owned.

Linda
Don't Want to Be Unbalanced

Hey Linda, don't know if you're interested, but as with the Edgar Winter "White Trash", there is a Q4 conversion on the 'noid of the Sly Stone.(AMAOF, I think there are TWO of them!)...now , the only drawback is to have enough seeders to d/l it; that's why I prefer file sharing sites like MU, etc....
Cheers from Madrid and keep the info coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back