Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Linda, my copy of Irrlicht is on the Italian PDU label and is SQ. Is there a German QS version? I assume this is a typo. Great album in any version.

Busted! Yes, Jefe it is SQ. If you connect an SQ decoder backwards, will it do QS? lol!!

WOMEN ON TOP! - Various DVD-A
Ten Summoner's Tales - Sting DTS CD
Strange Days - Doors (Perception) DVD-A
There's One in Every Crowd Eric Clapp CD-4
Violin Concertos - Hilary Hahn SACD 5.1 with a guest star named Brahms Stravinsky! Marriner/Academy of St, Martins in da Fields
Tchaikovsky: 6 - Jarvi/Gothenburg Symphony SACD 5.1
Beethoven 7 - Barenboim/Berliner Staatskapelle DVD-A
In Deep - Argent SQ
Motown - Michael McDonald SACD 5.1
Motown Two - Michael McDonald SACD 5.1
Vivaldi: Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter (Johnny?) - Orbellan/Massimo SACD 5.1
Tubes 2003 - Oldfield DVD-A

Linda
I Was Made to Love Her, Build My World All Around Her

Nothing Like the Sun - Sting DTS
Madman Across the Water - Elton John SACD 5.1
Reptile - Eric Clapp DVD-A
Lettin' Go - Son Seals Dolby Surround CD
Angel Clare - Artie Garr SQ
Lady in Satin - Lady Day SACD 5.1
Fennell Conducts Anderson SACD 3ch
Nat King Cole Story SACD 3ch

Linda
Butterflies, moonbeams and fairy tales, it's all she ever thinks about. Ridin' with the wind.

Krimson-ITWOP DVD-A
Synergy-Cords -DVD-A Stereo from clear vinyl gatefold LP(not really a bona fide Quad release but it decodes eerily close to being one in DPL II ) with the creepy photo of Larry in front of the Twin Towers...:yikes)
Bread-Best of DVD-A from Q4
Miles- Witches Brew from Q4, these last 2 ones courtesy of a QQ member who ROCKS!!!

EDIT;(more)
Grateful Dead-American Beauty DVD-A...pretty cool..and I wanted to get rid of it!!!
another edit:
Deep Purple "Stormbringer" DVD-A from a Q4 xfer by one of the usual gang of ....(beats the shit out of the commercial release)
Beethoven-Pastoral Symphony (and no. 8 too) dts cd (homebrewed)from an EMI licensed "Disky" CD by Eugen Jochum & the LSO
Stravinsky- Rite of Spring DTS CD (homebrewed too) from a CBS CD (Z Metha) with an Alistair Crowley (??!!!) cover....
Boulez Conducts Bartók- QQ xfer from Q4....

Last edited:
* - Company DVD-Audio (one of my all time favorite quad albums - I just love the music - like Dark Side Of The Moon, the quad mix contributes so much to the album that, as good as the music, lyrics, performances and recording are, it's just no fun to listen to in plain 2-channel stereo. Considering it's one of the very early quad releases from CBS, when quad mixers were still figuring it all out, the quad mix is a stunner, both the discrete and SQ versions. And the SQ version is amazing even though it was encoded with the original prototype 'square 4/2' SQ encoder, before CBS knew about position encoding or how to properly encode side images, diagonal splits, etc... and their pro SQ Logic decoder it was monitored on was the super slow 2400 gain-riding logic decoder - it's so slow that no consumer decoder ever released for SQ was as slow as that original 2400. Yet they managed to overcome all the obstacles and create an SQ recording that sounds amazing on the Tate and even better fully discrete. And to top it off, there's an amazing documentary available about the recording of the soundtrack album back in 1970.)

* - Best Of The Doobie Brothers DVD-A - this is wonderful in quad.

* - "Earthquake" original soundtrack DVD-A - My favorite film of all time and one of my favorite film scores. Thank goodness JVC released this in CD-4 quad for the Japanese market (and imported it and the CD-4 Jaws to the US for direct-to-quad-consumer sales) or all we'd have available in any format is the re-recording John Williams did for the official LP release - as he also did for Jaws. The soundtrack recording for a film back then was often done very quickly and since theater sound reproduction was so bad and hid most recording/mixing defects well enough, composers often felt the need to go back and completely re-record their score properly for release on LP and tape since the truly high fidelity nature of the LP and home systems would often clearly expose the flaws of the original score's recording. Unfortunately, in the case of JAWS and EARTHQUAKE, the essential "magic" of the scores that was captured in the initial recording sessions is entirely missing from the "official" soundtrack versions. The 'official' releases are dull, lifeless and seem to lack any excitement. Except for the CD-4 Quadradisc release, Earthquake's original soundtrack has never been available apart from in the film itself - even the Varese Sarabande CD of Earthquake is the re-recorded version. It's pretty much the same with Jaws - the original score used in the film has only been available on the CD-4 Quadradisc, although I believe Jaws finally got an anniversary re-issue on CD some years back that used the actual film score. (now if they would just issue Jaws on Blu-ray with its original mono sound and not the stereo version with all the added effects and foley that didn't exist in a form usable for the stereo remix - I don't care if films are remixed for stereo, just make sure to always give us the original mono version too, and not just a summed to mono version of the new mix - which is distressingly common.)

John Williams score for "The Towering Inferno" was also re-recorded for LP release and sadly the version heard in the film has never been released in any form. It could have made a beautiful quadraphonic release.

The Edgar Winter Groups albums "They only come out at night" an "Shock Treatment". The track "Frankenstein" is quad (4 channel) demo stuff...love it....

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration DVD/DTS
Depeche Mode - Construction Time Again DVD/DTS
The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children SACD and .........

Scorpions - Moment of Glory SACD :eek:

Last edited:
Dug out a few gems based on postings on this thread:
Company SQ Stritch rules! I prefer Raul Esparza revival. Saw it twice at Barrymore on Bway, have it on Blu-Ray and a poster signed by entire cast. SONDHEIM!
Love Will Keep Us Together - Captain & Tennille CD-4 Also played "Por Amor Viviremos" on 2ch LP- the album en Espanol
Nightbirds - Labelle SQ
With a Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker Q8
Stormbringer - Deep Purple CD-4
Zappa: Omnibus Wind Ensemble SACD 5.1
Shock Treatment - EWG SQ
Dvorak 6 - Sir Colin Davis/LSO SACD 5.1
That's the Way of the World (Studio Album) - EWF SQ
Kind of Blue - Prince of Darkness SACD 5.1
Orff: Carmina Burana - Runnicles/Atlanta SACD 5.1
Baby, I'm a Want You - Bread CD-4
Beethoven 8 - Barenboim/Berliner Staatskapelle DVD-A
Gaucho - Steely Dan SACD 5.1
Frampton Comes Alive DVD-A
If Only I Could Remember My Name - What the Hell IS his name? DVD-A
Free-for-All - Nugent SQ
Legalize It - Peter MacIntosh SACD 5.1
Blood on the Tracks - Robert Zimmerman SACD 5.1
Mahler 1 - Tilson Thomas/San Francisco
Cold on the Shoulder - Lightfoot CD-4
Red Octopus - Jefferson Starship CD-4 Miracles is my all-time #2 song
Chicago Transit Authority Quadio DTS Beginnings is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE SONG

Linda
Someone to Sit in Your Chair and Ruin Your Sleep

Ain't No Stopping Us Now - Tower of Power SQ
In the Court of the Crimson King DVD-A
Joe Cocker Q8
Muscle of Love - Vincent Furnier CD-4
Steal Your Face - Grateful Dead QS
Tommy (symphonic) Q8x2
Body Heat - George Benson SQ
Prelude - Deodato SQ
JT - James Taylor SACD 5.1
Lazy Afternoon - Barbra Streisand SQ
Playing Possum - Carly Simon CD-4
Santana SQ

Linda

Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning

still getting into this one, liking it a little more than the first couple plays

Genesis - Live at the Rainbow 1973..whew!!! Man!!!
Concert for George DVD DTS (OK, so it's really a DVD,....)Love the Indian 1st part (I confess; I AM IN LOVE with Anoushka!) one hell of a concert and vibe!!! The mix is more open in the Rock portion of the program.

* -
* - "Earthquake" original soundtrack DVD-A - My favorite film of all time and one of my favorite film scores..

I saw it in the theater when it can out still remember those lobby cards proclaiming you need to be in good health to see this movie. Question would that have been the first wide spreed use of subs in public theaters?

Wish you were here - immersion boxset/ Pink Floyd / Blu ray
Dark side of the moon - immersion boxset/ Pink Floyd / Blu ray
Damn the torpedoes /Tom Petty /Blu ray
Playing the angel / Depeche Mode/ SACD
Ah Via Musicom /Eric Johnson/ DVD-A
LAGQ /Guitar Heroes / SACD (i play this when i want to remember my father, a few months before he passed, i played this title for him and seemed to like it very much)
Billy Idol in superoverdrive / Billy Idol/ Dolby Digital - DVR recording from Concert Channel (sometimes i turn off the tv just to listen to the music)-
In Rainbows/ Radiohead/ Dolby digital -DVR recording from Concert Channel-

Can´t wait til tomorrow to hear all the 3 Rush boxsets. Great year for surround¡¡¡¡ (even with a few releases)

OMG!!! Pink Floyd WYWH SACD direct DSD. Pure analog out of NAD M55 into an NAD surround preamp then onto Linn setup. OMG...worth the wait....this is what it is ALL about!

I saw it in the theater when it can out still remember those lobby cards proclaiming you need to be in good health to see this movie. Question would that have been the first wide spreed use of subs in public theaters?

Yes, it was. And Sensurround is still the only system that used them so extensively in each theater. The very best modern theaters with digital sound are anemic sounding when compared to Sensurround's low frequency reproduction - and it makes a big difference in the overall experience. A film like "Jurassic Park" would have been a totally different theatrical experience with Sensurround.

FYI - There is an error in the Quad mix of Company. Although the singer (Bobby) is front center for the whole song (Side By Side), his tap-dancing feet are heard front right.

Deodato Prelude...not a great album but a fine mix, and "2001" is worth hearing even if the rest is a bit too slick and polished for its own good. Of course, being anywhere near Creed Taylor, it would be just good enough to avoid greatness (with a few exceptions).

ED :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back