Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine there will be plenty of action on eBay CD-4 sales once this is shipped.
Stock up now.
You may still find minty fresh shrink-wrapped copies of your favorite titles. (or a test disc)

Tektaff, I believe Lou has already published the schematics. See earlier posts in this thread. But I suspect there will be written material. Jrlinks, the new demodulator uses FM radio type limiting principles, so a carrier level control pot is not necessary. Just plug and play!

The Quadfather

'Just plug and play!'
So no need for a setup disc now?
Or would it still be a useful adjunct for setting the separation controls?

A setup disc could be used to adjust the separation. But it is not necessary. I generally use a Doobie Bros (Tolouse Street) album. They have good separation that is easy to hear. As I recall, the price was also discussed in the early postings of this thread. I believe somewhere around $500.00 . It was a graduated scale depending on the number of units ordered, and the criteria for the cheapest price has been met.

The Quadfather

Will I need to replace my tonearm RCA interconnects with new low capacitance cable
for use with MM type cartridges?
If so how do I determine the correct cable to buy?

Will I need to replace my tonearm RCA interconnects with new low capacitance cable
for use with MM type cartridges?
If so how do I determine the correct cable to buy?

If I remember correctly, Grado cartridges are immune to changes in cable capacitance.

Maybe Master Dorren or other forum posters can confirm this for us.

One reason I was so happy to hear the demod was going to come with a Grado cartridge was to avoid any doubts I have as far as the cable capacitance of my Sony TT, i'ts at 100pF and that's right at the upper limit of what's allowable and still have good CD-4 performance.

Yes - I did a series of tests on a Grado Gold1 that I own, capacitance had negligible effect... although lower resistive load seemed to improve sound marginally (for stereo)

I am not sure whether 100k load will be needed with the Grado either.... and the Grados do tend to perform better at around 10k to 15k resistive load (for stereo).

I am continuing to wait with great impatience for the full review of the first unit...

Don't hate me for asking this.
My Onkyo receiver in direct analogue mode has no trim controls
for channel balance.
Does the new demod have outputs with trim?
I ask because I have already decided that one of my 3 CD-4 AT cartridges
can not be used because the left channel is down by 2.75db
No, not a stylus problem, the generator coils are not balanced.

Which Audio Technica has the problem? There are lots of AT cartridge bodies floating around out there. Why not look for a replacement body? They are usually pretty cheap, because the stylus is the expensive bit. I got my AT20Sa body for $25 worth of used jazz LPs (I hate jazz anyway), and the guy was happy to get rid of it. I found a brand new genuine ATN20 stylus for $100 with shipping, and I haven't looked back.

My question was about output trim on the new demod.
I'm sure most users would not bother to measure the channel balance
of their cartridge as I do.
For what it's worth I have an AT20ss, an AT15ss, and 2 AT14Sa.
I had to retire one of the AT14Sa bodies due to the left channel loss.
The others are within .75 db.

do we know how many RCA inputs there wll be? More than one set?

What about additional inputs (equalized) for reel2reel inputs (with switching) for Project3 and some other 4 channel tapes?

maybe this was discussed and I missed it?

I just received my QSI record cleaning set
And like at least one other member here
NO instructions for use are included.
Anyone point me to a PDF for this please?

Got cleaning instructions I needed from Lou.
All is well.
James

Last edited:
Back