Marantz 3300 Preamp with Center Channel output

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'm not knowledgeable about Marantz gear so I'm asking in case someone here knows the answer. The 3300 is a unit which came out in 1973. It is a Stereo preamp. Why would there be a Center channel output? Was this for people playing music in Mono to be heard through a dedicated Mono amp/speaker? Perhaps this was added for people who wanted to have music in another room?

Marantz 3300 preamp.jpg

I'm not knowledgeable about Marantz gear so I'm asking in case someone here knows the answer. The 3300 is a unit which came out in 1973. It is a Stereo preamp. Why would there be a Center channel output? Was this for people playing music in Mono to be heard through a dedicated Mono amp/speaker? Perhaps this was added for people who wanted to have music in another room?

Had that on a circa 1972 Lafayette. It wasn't powered, so it required a powered speaker of some type. According to the manual, it was for use in rooms where the left and right speakers were very far apart to avoid a "hole in the middle" effect.

I actually had an appropriate speaker and used it, but I don't remember if it really made a huge difference or not. I was a lot less discerning at 14 than now...

So I guess the signal was a sum of both left and right signals then.

Thanks for your input!

The service manual with circuit diagram is available from HiFi Engine
It takes the speaker levels from each side , attenuates them and then sums them. The level control would seem handy but I would rather it got the signal at line level in the first place. Would be a fairly easy modification to make.

So I guess the signal was a sum of both left and right signals then.

Oops! Yes, I meant to explicitly say that and just forgot.

Ancient memory just came back to me: At one point, I ran a wire under the house to the other side of the room and put that mono speaker center rear, so it was normal stereo up front and summed mono behind. I don't remember at all how it sounded, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Oops! Yes, I meant to explicitly say that and just forgot.

Ancient memory just came back to me: At one point, I ran a wire under the house to the other side of the room and put that mono speaker center rear, so it was normal stereo up front and summed mono behind. I don't remember at all how it sounded, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Thanks again! :)

Back