Matrix H decoded by QS Decoder, is there any interest in a trial test?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxforddickie

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
As many know, during 1976 the BBC developed their own Quadraphonic system called Matrix 'H'. It was loosely based on QS, but totally incompatible. During the development stage they used a modified QS decoder for their tests, and when trial broadcasts were announced in 1977, and as there was no dedicated 'Matrix H' decoder, they made the modifications available to a commercial company who were able to modify users Sansui units so that the broadcasts could be decoded.

There were only a couple of commercially available 'H' encoded recordings made because by the end of 1977, Matrix 'H' had been scrapped and replaced with the incompatible Matrix 'HJ'

But thankfully, some of the broadcast material transmitted has survived in various forms, and seeing as much of it was never actually released in any other format, it has driven me to work on a way of (for the first time) accurately decoding what is easily the most complex matrix system ever created.

Until work on that project is completed, i thought it might be of interest for owners of hardware QS decoders to experience what was heard by the few who had the modified equipment here in the UK

What i was thinking of doing was to make available four or five Matrix 'H' tracks that have been modified as if they had gone through the additional electronics added to the units. This modification is 100% accurate, so the final result will be exactly as heard back then.

So, my question is: Is there any interest in this?

OD

The Ambisonic discography lists

- BBC H-Matrix Demo Disk. This LP was printed around
1977. The cover says "BBC Radio presents A
Demonstration record of broadcast standard quadraphonic
programme material recorded with the BBC matrix H

- Instructions For Angels. Virgin records V 2090, Matrix H
(U.K.) ('77)

- The Last Night of the Proms. Philips 6502-001 (LP), Matrix H
(England), This was the original release of the 1969 Proms
concert.

* Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. the BBC obtained the masters and
remixed them for Matrix H transmission in 1978, they were done by Tony
Wilson at the BBC, broadcast over National BBC FM Radio 2 in the United
Kingdom.

- Gentle Giant-Golders Green Hippodrome, London, January
5th 1978. Radio Broadcast January 21, 1978 in H-Matrix.
Richard Elen provided a review:
On decoding it via our UHJ decode process, it does indeed
appear to be an Ambisonic recording (with the exception of
the last two tracks, which are of dubious audio quality, come
from OGWT in 1974, and are in mono). Audience appears to come
largely from the rear while the band occupies a wide front stage
and some items pop out or occasionally occupy locations further
round. Non-LF aspects of the soundfield appear to be rotated
somewhat, which does indeed suggest Matrix H, and the surround
decode is definitely worth the effort. Goodness knows what setup
was used to record this.

OD Provided some updates to the classical discography that have not been officially added yet

* NIM-2114 (Matrix H) Beethoven: Piano Sonatas. No.31 in A flat major,
Op.110 No.32 in C minor, Op.111. Willem Brons (Piano) [England]

* NIM 2117 (Matrix H) Bridge: Cello Sonata. Kodaly: Sonata for solo
cello, Op.8. Christain Hocks (Cello), Martin Jones (Piano) [England]

OD:

I would be interested. If I may ask - what types of music were encoded?

Justin

Firstly,thanks to Mark for the list. I was going to include a track from some of those listed (including the Gentle Giant), along with one from the BBC archives (Lone Star) not listed, Haven't decided which yet, and as the interest seems to be so low i'll leave it a little longer.

As i mention, it's just to give people a taste of what was happening here in the UK. The BBC produced quite a few rare quad tracks not available anywhere else.

- Gentle Giant-Golders Green Hippodrome, London, January
5th 1978. Radio Broadcast January 21, 1978 in H-Matrix.
Richard Elen provided a review:
On decoding it via our UHJ decode process, it does indeed
appear to be an Ambisonic recording (with the exception of
the last two tracks, which are of dubious audio quality, come
from OGWT in 1974, and are in mono). Audience appears to come
largely from the rear while the band occupies a wide front stage
and some items pop out or occasionally occupy locations further
round. Non-LF aspects of the soundfield appear to be rotated
somewhat, which does indeed suggest Matrix H, and the surround
decode is definitely worth the effort. Goodness knows what setup
was used to record this.

That one was released on CD, but I don't know if encoded, or not.

-Kristian

This was long ago, there was no interest and things have moved on. True decoding of Matrix H is now a possibility, in fact it has been done, just haven't released anything yet.

If you knew what rare quad material was done by the BBC (Queen being one) then many blog users will be interested, 99% of who know nothing of this forum

If you knew what rare quad material was done by the BBC (Queen being one) then many blog users will be interested, 99% of who know nothing of this forum

Then the question becomes whether or not the BBC would consider making these recordings commercially available. If something can properly decode the format, and such decoders are extremely rare, I could see the BBC considering releasing them in a discrete format, but not in Matrix H.

The answer is no. They dislike talking about that period of their Quad tests, and the original 4 channel masters don't exist. All we have is the encoded material that has 'leaked' out in the past, plus off air recordings.

The answer is no. They dislike talking about that period of their Quad tests, and the original 4 channel masters don't exist. All we have is the encoded material that has 'leaked' out in the past, plus off air recordings.

I'd be concerned that off-the-air recordings could be compromised by the quality of the deck used to record them, and any phase distortion that might be introduced. That would affect the ability to decode it correctly, rendering them essentially useless, other than preserving the performance.

Yes, your correct, although i've quite a bit of experience with damaged encoded material, so that material that has been derived from off air recordings may be a little harder to deal with, i have some encoded material in A1 condition, which shouldn't prove any problem at all :)

Too little interest, too late i'm afraid. As i've previously said, i've moved onto the accurate decoding of Matrix H, which makes this thread obsolete i'm afraid.

There was never a proper Matrix H decoder, just one that did a bodge job of it. The fact matrix H only existed for 3 months before being replaced by the incompatible HJ stopped all development in releases and hardware.

Virgin started work on a number of Matrix H releases, but pulled the project once news of 'H's demise hit the streets, with only one album being released - David Bedford's Instructions For Angels

Nimbus released less than a handfulof 'H' encoded, then switched to 'HJ' for a couple then settledon UHJ, which they still use to this day.

There will be releases of the 'H' material i have at the obvious place, in the near future

Back