Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, Miles Davis's Live is very worrisome that the applause that was in the back changes to the front depending on the song.

You may or may not know ,but that recording was carried by ALL 4 of Tokyo's FM stations back in the day . And broadcast in Sansui QS but sponsored by Sony.
No doubt there's some phase interference with the actual broadcast providing the weird location of audience placement. Nevertheless that's a jewel of a collector's CD to have.

I notice that very same strange occurrence on the CD-4 , SACD , and Blu-ray at the beginning of The Doors live song in quad "Who Do You Love".

It's a topic unrelated to surround sound sources,
In Maurizio Rolli's Mood Swings (RKCT-2500), the phases of the left and right channels are reversed due to recording mistakes except for the 1st and 12th songs.

Seems like Nilsson Schmilsson was only available in discrete Quad formats. So... no CD version available, right?
Yeah, I guess so, I see CD-4, R2R Quad & Q8, but no matrix; total shame it’s never been released in a Digital format. Could be an interesting project for someone with an Involve encoder board to use converted discrete files and encode them to QS.
Just for kicks ya know.

Seems like Nilsson Schmilsson was only available in discrete Quad formats. So... no CD version available, right?

Yep. It's too bad RCA didn't choose a matrix such as QS , SQ or BBC H in their latter years . I mean they released very few by 1977 ,as I think they saw the writing on the wall . CD-4 was rapidly disappointing audiophiles and even more rapidly disappearing as a viable quad format.

Yeah, I guess so, I see CD-4, R2R Quad & Q8, but no matrix; total shame it’s never been released in a Digital format. Could be an interesting project for someone with an Involve encoder board to use converted discrete files and encode them to QS.
Just for kicks ya know.
I believe it has already been done by national-kid on his yt channel

Yep. It's too bad RCA didn't choose a matrix such as QS , SQ or BBC H in their latter years . I mean they released very few by 1977 ,as I think they saw the writing on the wall . CD-4 was rapidly disappointing audiophiles and even more rapidly disappearing as a viable quad format.

I thought RCA was using Dolby Surround in the '90s.

Oops, I guess it was a different channel.

Huh? It says Quadradisc on the cover.

Huh? It says Quadradisc on the cover.
Since the Dolby method is "backward compatible" with the Sansui QS method, I think it would have been better if the display was set to Dolby and the contents were recorded using the Sansui QS method.
There are various types of RCA Dolby CDs, mainly classic (and Tomita, etc.), but as a result, valuable sound source information was lost, which is a shame.

I meant Soon after they quit with CD-4. He'll they even had a dynaquad like matrix on one of their pieces of equipment "dementia preacox" I believe ... in 75.
They could easily have adopted one of the late 70's currently active matrices I mentioned, rather than "wait some 15 plus years!!!" after the CD-4 demise.
And to be clear it was BMG/RCA that decided on Dolby encoded CD's ,a much bigger record Company. I used to have 2 of their rather large illustrated CD Catalogues ,chock full of Dolby MP CD'S.;)

Even before the 90's.... RCA Vison had Betahifi,& VHS HIFI Dolby MP encoded tapes and one SQ encoded tape --Dolly Parton -Live In London(Tate SQ).

Just got BJH Once Again Quad CD

Mike ,
I never got that SQ one on Brimstone.. Mainly because I have the quad DTS,DD and 96/24 SQ DVD version.

If you like that one ,I recommend Electric Light Orchestra-Light Years with SQ quad tracks ,two of which are from the unreleased Quad 2nd album.

16442852703955662509155619061037.jpg
1644285305938542909483249253584.jpg
16442853357088021779452880989457.jpg
16442853875861782362635040963216.jpg

Mike ,
I never got that SQ one on Brimstone.. Mainly because I have the quad DTS,DD and 96/24 SQ DVD version.

If you like that one ,I recommend Electric Light Orchestra-Light Years with SQ quad tracks ,two of which are from the unreleased Quad 2nd album.

View attachment 75797View attachment 75798View attachment 75799View attachment 75800
I decided on the Once Again Quad CD because I do not like the surround mix on the Octoberon DVD I have.
Hot vocals, if I recall. I like the CD a lot.
I'll happily check out ELO early years.

I decided on the Once Again Quad CD because I do not like the surround mix on the Octoberon DVD I have.

The Once Again quad mix is pretty wonky too, I remember one of the songs has the lead vocal in left rear! I've read that Esoteric is planning a reissue for later this year containing both the quad mix and a new 5.1 remix, but for now the only place where you can find the quad in discrete form is the 2011 EMI DVD (which also includes the SQ matrix-encoded stereo).

Essentially, they did, but not for everything they released in quad. They did release some movie music, as well as some miscellaneous instrumental recordings, and several Tomita albums. Their use of Dolby Surround made them basically compatible with QS (the systems are nearly the same). Playing any of these discs through the Surround Master, you'd almost swear they're discrete.

It's a topic unrelated to surround sound sources,
In Maurizio Rolli's Mood Swings (RKCT-2500), the phases of the left and right channels are reversed due to recording mistakes except for the 1st and 12th songs.

I have one classical album (I can't remember which) that was entirely recorded out of phase.

I didn't know this until I played it on the Dynaco diamond. Most of the sound came out of the back speaker.

Back