Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up this RM encoded cd by TOD .

Thanks and a shout out to @kamranv , keep em coming.

20230423_122022.jpg

Yes , Duncan I thought I'd buy the CD first ...and if I really like it, then......
the bluray.
I think it's also on vinyl to , but I'm not totally certain of that.

Anyway I thought I read that there are also a handful of bandcamp artists using the RM matrix or "Quark" on their releases, cd or vinyl .
Perhaps @kamranv can elaborate.

Been searching for a copy of this rare cd set for a while. Finally found a copy at Discogs . Paid a bit much , but I like SQ collector's albums.

ELO The Harvest Years 1970 - 1973

CD # 3 contains the alternate mixes to the first album , which are actually the Quad album mixes from 73 .
Only track #1 ...10538 Overture , and track #7 are SQ encoded ...the rest are mix downs from the Quad masters.
Also the CD#2 track "In Old England Town (Boogie #2) is SQ Quad encoded.
(There may be other tracks from ELO 2 that are encoded as well , so I'll have to test em all. ...I notice someone on Utube has posted the entire album , ELO 2 in quadraphonic?!)
This disc set will go good with my other two that have SQ encoded tracks as well ....2, from ELO 2 and 8, from ELO 1.

👌
16841827393191001569432633767902.jpg
16841826743523386692406567164032.jpg

I really had to read and reread the extensive liner notes before concluding this was indeed an SQ broadcast , and a one off , only this release by the BEEB was broadcast in quad and rebroadcast.

The only surviving BBC tapes are the quad master 4 track and the 2ch master tape, (SQ encoded).

Not Deep Purple 's best work , but it is quad.

16869665184597845949626344776877.jpg
16869665933534813306211817989952.jpg

I really had to read and reread the extensive liner notes before concluding this was indeed an SQ broadcast , and a one off , only this release by the BEEB was broadcast in quad and rebroadcast.

The only surviving BBC tapes are the quad master 4 track and the 2ch master tape, (SQ encoded).

Not Deep Purple 's best work , but it is quad.

View attachment 92781View attachment 92783

As far as I can determine, despite the blurb in the CD booklet, this concert was never and could never have been broadcast in quad in the UK. A search of the Radio Times listings reveals that the concert was only broadcast three times, all in 1974:

deepp.JPG

You'll note that the listings do not identify them as being in quad, for good reason - these broadcasts all precede by some three years the BBC matrix test transmissions. The BBC did make one very experimental quad broadcast in 1974 but that was using two separate stereo VHF channels. So this concert was never broadcast in any form (even in mono!) during the BBC's quad era. The Transcription Services disc dates from 1978 when SQ encoding was an option for the overseas broadcasters they were only provided to. TS discs were never broadcast in the UK due to copyright limitations. There appear to be several other errors in the CD booklet, not least of which is that it gives the month of the original broadcast as June 74 when it was actually May.

Last edited:
As far as I can determine, despite the blurb in the CD booklet, this concert was never and could never have been broadcast in quad in the UK. A search of the Radio Times listings reveals that the concert was only broadcast three times, all in 1974:

View attachment 92813

You'll note that the listings do not identify them as being in quad, for good reason - these broadcasts all precede by some three years the BBC matrix test transmissions. The BBC did make one very experimental quad broadcast in 1974 but that was using two separate stereo VHF channels. So this concert was never broadcast in any form (even in mono!) during the BBC's quad era. The Transcription Services disc dates from 1978 when SQ encoding was an option for the overseas broadcasters they were only provided to. TS discs were never broadcast in the UK due to copyright limitations. There appear to be several other errors in the CD booklet, not least of which is that it gives the month of the original broadcast as June 74 when it was actually May.

I'll know more when I give it a good spin .

Given the time constraints I'm sure lots of errors in reporting occurred.

There are actually 3 different little blurbs in Billboard regarding the BBC DISCRETE tests , which I found interesting.

Ive Been gathering up olde krautrock quads lately. This was one that eluded me on the vinyl , as it didn't say anything on the cover , just this bizarre art of pictures. But I finally figured it out as it had the title I was seeking on the spine.

And now it's an SQ encoded CD.....Tiger B Smith - Were The Tiger Bunch

16961088542715472783587776861785.jpg

Ive Been gathering up olde krautrock quads lately. This was one that eluded me on the vinyl , as it didn't say anything on the cover , just this bizarre art of pictures. But I finally figured it out as it had the title I was seeking on the spine.

And now it's an SQ encoded CD.....Tiger B Smith - Were The Tiger Bunch

View attachment 96811
Just had a listen on YouTube and thought that is interesting, Rocky and little bit crazy so I've just ordered a copy from Germany! thanks for finding it :)

Just had a listen on YouTube and thought that is interesting, Rocky and little bit crazy so I've just ordered a copy from Germany! thanks for finding it :)

No problemo , Duncan ..it's not one of my favourites, but it sure is collectable.

I don't know how many of these Bellaphon Bacillus SQ CD 'S are still available, but this one (above) was the very last one I needed to complete the series.....back in the day.

I believe both Omega disc's are available, and Dzyan and Karthago ....Krokadil may or may not be . All can be found on grooves.land from Berlin. Also some are available on vinyl ?

Got this in the mail about 2 weeks back.
The original SQ vinyl , was tricky to confirm. The Cosmic Couriers Emblem said Stereo and Mono....but in small print on the back it said it was an SQ recording.
So I took a chance..(still sealed Lp) ....and sure enough the vinyl said SQ Quad.

POPOL VUH - SELIGPREISUNG...SQ CD

16962060734468026096302249058990.jpg

Hi Fizzy which CD edition of Cyborg is SQ encoded ?
I gave up trying to find the quad vinyl a long time ago.

Hi Fizzy which CD edition of Cyborg is SQ encoded ?
I gave up trying to find the quad vinyl a long time ago.

I'd go with the Cosmic Couriers edition....as is pictured.

This is one I never had back in the day , as it never even hinted as a quad album as was the case for the first edition from Germany.

Now I see*, both the Italian and French copies said quad....the French more so.
*Check out discogs for pictures of the quad album.

My best guess is that it was encoded in quad on the Cosmic Couriers editions , which were released a year or more after the original Brain/OHR album.

Back