Miles Davis The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965 SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emili

Can anyone recommend an online retailer where you can get a good price for this item?
As it is a Tower Records Japan exclusive, I have asked CDJapan to get me one copy as a proxy but they told me they only have two accounts to act as proxies and as the quantity to buy from Tower records is limited to two copies per customer and they have already purchased four for customers, they cannot get it for me.
Cdsvinyljapan has a good price but I have read very bad comments about them.
On Ebay you can get a factory sealed one for about 200€-240€ but the main issue here is not one seller is including VAT or custom taxes and though I'm not concerned about paying them, I'm reluctant to pay, on top of that, a huge amount for DHL's or other carriers' fees.
Any help here would be really appreciated.
Thank you all before hand

I was likewise eyeing this box set from Miles but am likewise turned off by the Proxy Services offered by CDJapan.

Wonder if SONY Japan will re~release it on hybrid Stereo SACD once the Tower Record exclusive expires. Since the DSD mastering is already done, my guess is YES!

I can recommend to use one of the Japanese proxy purchase service Buyee.jp. They work with the most popular Japanese shopping sites - Yahoo! JAPAN Auctions, Mercari, and Rakuten. Also you can order from Tower Records and many other shops with them.
I have used this service several times and was quite satisfied.

Ps. If you register as a new member of Buyee from this URL, you will receive a discount coupon for up to 1,000 yen worth in item value!
https://buyee.jp?fc=6521a8d5748e2
*Clicking the URL will take you to the top page of the Buyee site. You will receive the coupon upon completion of member registration.

Buyee is one of the largest proxy purchase sites in Japan
https://media.buyee.jp/pr/buyee_beginner/en/
Ps#2. This is my referral url, I hope it is not against rules.)

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend an online retailer where you can get a good price for this item?
As it is a Tower Records Japan exclusive, I have asked CDJapan to get me one copy as a proxy but they told me they only have two accounts to act as proxies and as the quantity to buy from Tower records is limited to two copies per customer and they have already purchased four for customers, they cannot get it for me.
Cdsvinyljapan has a good price but I have read very bad comments about them.
On Ebay you can get a factory sealed one for about 200€-240€ but the main issue here is not one seller is including VAT or custom taxes and though I'm not concerned about paying them, I'm reluctant to pay, on top of that, a huge amount for DHL's or other carriers' fees.
Any help here would be really appreciated.
Thank you all before hand
I got in a month ago through CDJapan proxy service and my SACD is soon on its way!

I've finally bought it from Tower Records using Buyee proxy.
We'll see how much I end up paying for it.

I'm curious did you get a discount coupon from the link above?
No, it turns out I had created an account a long time ago. I only realised it when tried to create a new one and said emaol address was already on their system, had to use remember password to log in

I paid $132.68 plus shipping from CDJapan proxy service
138,44€ I paid but now they will add shipping and some kind of fee I guess.
Ill make them ship it by EMS as Ive heard DHL fees are huge, at least here in Spain.
Fedex may be another option but shipping is still expensive with them.
On top of that, VAT and possible customs taxes.
I emailed them about which value will declare for the item when they ship it: only retail price (19800¥) or the total amount including fees, etc
If it is below 150€ I may end up paying only VAT

138,44€ I paid but now they will add shipping and some kind of fee I guess.
Ill make them ship it by EMS as Ive heard DHL fees are huge, at least here in Spain.
Fedex may be another option but shipping is still expensive with them.
On top of that, VAT and possible customs taxes.
I emailed them about which value will declare for the item when they ship it: only retail price (19800¥) or the total amount including fees, etc
If it is below 150€ I may end up paying only VAT
CDJapan are adding the VAT automatically for the UK now, so I assume that would be the same for the EU, so you should be OK with no additional courier tax gathering fees

Received at Buyee's warehouse.
jusy paid 33,85€ for shipping using EMS which says it takes about 7 days, I could have saved 10€ using just air mail but as this was their recommended method...
Now we'll see jow much they hit me with at Spanish customs.
Keep you posted.

After 3 days waiting for customs to do their work, I ended up paying 27,77€ for VAT with a small fee included.
All in all: 138,44€+33,85€ EMS shipping=172,29€+27,77€ VAT=200,06€

Hope to get it tomorrow or on Monday

Are the folks buying this because they missed out on the original CD box set in the 90s? Being a live album, Shirley, the improvements can't be that great for those who already have that set?

Timing for this thread was great for me. Saw the first segment of the Wayne Shorter documentary, Zero Gravity (on Amazon Prime), and after he talked about the approach the band had taken for the Plugged Nickel gigs, I wanted to hear every note. From this thread I decided to use a purchasing proxy (WorldShopping) to get the SACD box. Arrived, was cheaper than eBay, and sounds great in context. Thank you all for sharing!

I placed an order for one of these boxes via Tower records Japan site > the purchase was forwarded to a 3rd party ordering/shipping site (WorldShopping). The Tower price was listed as 19800 yen. WorldShopping sent me an invoice for 21780 yen. So, a surcharge of 1980 yen to WorldShopping. I put through a credit card payment for the 21780. Four days later they sent me an email stating the item had arrived at their warehouse and they now needed me to pay an additional 4758 yen for DHL delivery (to USA). So, 146 US dollars plus 35 US dollars shipping ($181). WorldShopping said they would 'store' it for 10 days before sending it back to Tower. I have a few more days to think about it and complete the purchase.

I placed an order for one of these boxes via Tower records Japan site > the purchase was forwarded to a 3rd party ordering/shipping site (WorldShopping). The Tower price was listed as 19800 yen. WorldShopping sent me an invoice for 21780 yen. So, a surcharge of 1980 yen to WorldShopping. I put through a credit card payment for the 21780. Four days later they sent me an email stating the item had arrived at their warehouse and they now needed me to pay an additional 4758 yen for DHL delivery (to USA). So, 146 US dollars plus 35 US dollars shipping ($181). WorldShopping said they would 'store' it for 10 days before sending it back to Tower. I have a few more days to think about it and complete the purchase.
And you didnt know it before? All these proxy services work the same more or less.
Lucky you if you do not have to add any taxes when they get to the USA.
If you decide for them to send it back to Tower Records, first make sure you will get your money back because I think that is not the case with some of them.

Back