HiRez Poll Mingus, Charles - MINGUS MOVES [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Charles Mingus - MINGUS MOVES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new reissue of the classic album "Mingus Moves" by Charles Mingus.
Reissued on Blu-Ray Audio disc as part of Rhino Records' Quadio series, this release features the first release of the original Quadraphonic mix since the 1970s!

(y) :) (n)

MingusMoves_Quadio.jpeg

Listening right now. Given that it's a jazz record, I was afraid it was gonna be antiquated in its mix like early (esp Beatles) stereo mixes, with discrete elements in each channel, and little balance in the sound field as a result.

Instead, it was nice, but not spectacular. There are discrete elements coming out of singular channels, but not all elements are so, allowing the mix to not feel lopsided whenever a solo presents itself. Trumpets are in each of the back channels, allowing for some great interplay when both are present.

I was about to rate this a 6, but I realize my biases against the music might be at play, so I find 7 to be a fair score.

Last edited:
A wonderfully mixed recording from a Jazz legend.
I was expecting Charles's bass to be featured predominately and shouldn't have been surprised that it was mixed across the fronts only. Loved the horns discreetly separated in the rears, this really makes you feel "in the room".
While not the best of Mingus recordings, there are still enough highlights to make it worth your time. The sonics are great for a 50 year old recording.
Opus 3 and Opus 4 are highlights for me, they sound more like his classic stuff.
Wondering why it was never released...and if there are more like it.
A solid 8.

I decided to start listening to my new quadio bundle with the music that was least familiar to me.

Remarkable low bass on some tracks, the mix is a bit isolated and rear-heavy (unless my cat bumped the vollume knob on the back amp, and I don’t have a cat at the moment), but very enjoyable. I think it will grow on me. I gave it an 8.

This one was an unexpected stunner for me. I wasn't quite sure how jazz, especially with such stripped down instrumentation, would convert to quad, but I think the mix is handled perfectly, with horns in the rears and rhythm section in the fronts. I know that this album is not considered to be one of Mingus's best, but I loved it, as it sits right on the edge of classic jazz and the "new sound" of the 60s/70s. There were even a couple songs that wouldn't sound out of place on Zappa's jazzier albums. Some great soloing by the sax player, and Mingus's bass comes through loud and clear. I would love to see more jazz in this series. I give it a 9.

"9" from me. The album sounds wonderful. Great quad mix that really works well for the material. But while I'm big fan of 60s/70s jazz, this wasn't Mingus' best set. It's VERY GOOD, but just short of GREAT. So I have to stop short of giving it a "10".

But overall, it's the best release from this current batch, IMO.

Loving the Mingus over here, it sounds sweet! Pleasantly surprised that something this old was able to be restored and made available to the Surround Freaks that we are! Also...anyone else's copy have the 2nd page of the insert stapled upside down? Or is this the million dollar variant I've been looking for, lmao?!

I love reading this thread! Isn't it great when you get exposed to new music or to an artist that you might have pre-existing biases towards (good or bad) only to pleasantly surprised...I understand this site has enthusiast's of all shapes and financial wherewithal but on even a "modest" surround system, this 50+ year old title does NOT musically or sonically sound "dated". I personally love the quad mix and hope Rhino releases more Atlantic or Nonesuch jazz "Quadio" titles. A sometimes musically challenging session but sonically sublime nonetheless. A 9/10 in my book...

As a quadraphonic mixed album - how it performs and sounds on high-resolution disc - a Jazz album here on it's own terms rather than against other jazz or Charles Mingus titles, it's simply a 10.

They may not have had to do much in the mastering here to 24/192kHz for BluRay, it appears that the production, recording, and mix of the original quad master was impeccable, and the LPs (both quad and stereo) which I own sound great too.

Not really a jazz fan, I likely never would have picked this up if not for Quadio.

Surround sound quality and performance are all excellent. The only thing that I didn't like were the vocals on "Moves", sorry Honey and Doug. I'll give it an eight.

Last edited:
Highest marks for Rhino's Quadraphonic 'digital' debut of Charles Mingus' 1973 album MINGUS MOVES! Extraordinary sonics, discrete placement of instruments and gratifying to have at least one of the jazz great's albums on BD~A!

I gave it a 10

And a review from blu~ray.com which continues to review RHINO'S latest QUADIO releases

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Charles-Mingus-Mingus-Moves-Blu-ray/348260/#Review

Last edited:
Last edited:
I finally got around to listening to this. Well, I should say attempting to listen to it. I only purchased it because 1) how can you pass up the Quadios deal on a 4 pack? And 2) the reviews here on QQ convinced me that I must try it.

I'm actually not going to cast a vote because I'd be swaying the results. I couldn't get through it. The music just isn't my thing. I listen to a few minutes of the first 4 songs, skipping ahead each time hoping that the next tune would be "better" IMO. ☹️ But nope. I tried.

I'll probably try one more time when I'm in a different mood, but it'll probably end up on eBay for $10. (Since, buying the 4 pack instead of 3, I actually only paid $5 for it.🙂 Still a win.)

Back in my radio days, my music director, (who is now a morning anchor on 1010 WINS in NYC,) coined the phrase "pop tart". Yes, I love pop music. And Mingus is not it. 😥

I finally got around to listening to this. Well, I should say attempting to listen to it. I only purchased it because 1) how can you pass up the Quadios deal on a 4 pack? And 2) the reviews here on QQ convinced me that I must try it.

I'm actually not going to cast a vote because I'd be swaying the results. I couldn't get through it. The music just isn't my thing. I listen to a few minutes of the first 4 songs, skipping ahead each time hoping that the next tune would be "better" IMO. ☹️ But nope. I tried.

I'll probably try one more time when I'm in a different mood, but it'll probably end up on eBay for $10. (Since, buying the 4 pack instead of 3, I actually only paid $5 for it.🙂 Still a win.)

Back in my radio days, my music director, (who is now a morning anchor on 1010 WINS in NYC,) coined the phrase "pop tart". Yes, I love pop music. And Mingus is not it. 😥

If you are like me, you can handle only one song of this style of jazz; then it is back to our more preferred stuff.

This was the disc I was most looking forward to in Batch 2. Nice Jazz disc as there seems to be so little good Jazz available in surround.
A nice album form one of the big stars not his best bet one that does sound great putting you in the middle of the room band playing in the round. Bass upfront and center wonder what the headliners instrument of choice is?
Great disc let's have more please.

I did give it a "10". Even though it's more adventurous in some places than I generally take my jazz (I lean more toward Donald Byrd and the Mizell brothers), it is a spectacularly-performed, recorded and mixed release. I was surprised at the active nature of the original Quad mix, with so much discrete instrumentation coming directly from the rear speakers at full volume. I much prefer activity in the rears rather than ambience, and this one definitely scratches my itch. Great record.

Back