MISC: Technics SH-3433 Scope

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8trackman

TECHNICS- SH-3433

Rarity: Uncommon

Average Sale Price: $200-350

Front

sh3433front.jpg

Back

sh3433back.jpg

I think it should be considered uncommon rather then rare, as its on eBay quite frequently, the buy it now sh3433 that Blackswamp audio has on sale is overpriced as its been on sale for months now

I think Panasonic built different versions of this model.....some have less inputs/outputs on the back

I had one of these until I replaced it in '79 with a much more useful Pioneer SD-1100 scope.

Here's a picture from 1978 of my quad system.

apt-ste-jbl-tecscope.jpg

I sold the 3433 for $50. Maybe undercut myself a little...

I can't hold in the excitement any more. I bought the Panasonic branded one on eBay last night. Seller happened to be a QQ member too ;) From what I can tell, there is no difference between the Panasonic branded SH-3433 and the Technics by Panasonic branded SH-3433 is there? Also. It is disapointing that these don't have throughput. Audio goes in but doesn't come out (except visually). So it seems most people let it eat up a tape monitor (which the SQD-2020 only has one of :( ) Would it cause damage to the signal (or gear) to run a splitter or a split cable off of the tape monitor to both a tape deck and the scope? The seller advises that I use only the RCA type inputs. It seems that using the speaker wire type inputs don't get as big of a scope image? Interesting. I can't wait till the thing comes. It also looks like you can hook it up with FM MPX Out, does that just somehow pipe the quad signal over two wires? My Sony quad Receiver (which is not part of my main system) has MPX out, but I don't think the 2020 does. Sad. I'm just happy to get one of these, and the seller says that there is absolutely no burn in on the screen. Any advice will be welcome as this is my first scope.

... looks like you can hook it up with FM MPX Out, does that just somehow pipe the quad signal over two wires? My Sony quad Receiver (which is not part of my main system) has MPX out, but I don't think the 2020 does. Sad. I'm just happy to get one of these, and the seller says that there is absolutely no burn in on the screen. Any advice will be welcome as this is my first scope.

That's for looking at FM multipath distortion and sig strength. Horiz is from the MPX or discriminator output from the tuner, the unprocessed raw audio. The other input (Vert) would be a signal strength voltage from the tuner. Some older tuners from the '60s and '70s had MPX, DISC or Adaptor outputs, all actually discriminator output, for stereo or nonexistent quad decoders to plug into. Some like Panasonic/Technics and Pioneer had the two outputs (discr Horiz and sig strength Vert) on the rear panels of their tuners for hookup to 'scopes they made. Combined you can see FM multipath distortion and signal strength, and adjust the antenna for lowest distortion and maxumum signal strength.

Thanks, that part makes a lot more sense to me now. Now I just need to figure out how to hook this up and not loose a valuable 4-channel tape loop.

Would it cause damage to the signal (or gear) to run a splitter or a split cable off of the tape monitor to both a tape deck and the scope?

That should work OK. The input impedance of the scope should be high enough to not cause any problem with line level from rec out. I've done the same thing.

The only other thing that I find kinda odd from the pictures of these, is that it has a Matrix/Discrete switch. I always figured that there would only be one mode and that when playing a matrix disc, it would just look less discrete on the scope. My guess, not having found the instruction manual online for this, is that in Matrix mode, it decreases the level of the lower crosstalk activity and enhances the dominanant activity on the channel, so that people with poor matrix decoding don't just have a blob all the time. Am I right?

I've had a great deal of experience with the scope. Make sure all four traces show up. Once in a while one spoke may drop out..No worries, the pots stick easily and need to be sprayed out more often then on most units. Also, believe it or not you may feel the volume has to be turned to0 high for a great display. The solution is a small amp like Radio Shack used to sell to increase the signal and act sort of like a pre amp.
In regard to the matrix switch forget it lol. I have seen almost no difference in switch position regardless of source or settings of the source. Hope it helps mark

Good, someone with recent experience showed up with advice! I don't have an instruction manual all I have left is a service manual and it does not go into any detail how the functions work.

.. Would it cause damage to the signal (or gear) to run a splitter or a split cable off of the tape monitor to both a tape deck and the scope?
I found the specification for the low level RCA inputs in the service manual, it is 100k Ohms so there should be no effect splitting the signal to the scope.

Thank you both so much for helping me plan for this thing. It's good to know I should just be able to split the signal from the tape monitor outs. That will make this a lot easier. I can't wait till it arrives. I've always wanted to be a member of the scope club. :D

I can't hold in the excitement any more. I bought the Panasonic branded one on eBay last night. Seller happened to be a QQ member too ;) From what I can tell, there is no difference between the Panasonic branded SH-3433 and the Technics by Panasonic branded SH-3433 is there? Also. It is disapointing that these don't have throughput. Audio goes in but doesn't come out (except visually). So it seems most people let it eat up a tape monitor (which the SQD-2020 only has one of :( ) Would it cause damage to the signal (or gear) to run a splitter or a split cable off of the tape monitor to both a tape deck and the scope? The seller advises that I use only the RCA type inputs. It seems that using the speaker wire type inputs don't get as big of a scope image? Interesting. I can't wait till the thing comes. It also looks like you can hook it up with FM MPX Out, does that just somehow pipe the quad signal over two wires? My Sony quad Receiver (which is not part of my main system) has MPX out, but I don't think the 2020 does. Sad. I'm just happy to get one of these, and the seller says that there is absolutely no burn in on the screen. Any advice will be welcome as this is my first scope.

I owned an SH-3433 Quad Scope during the '70s. A nice piece of equipment for the price and a lot of fun.
I wonder if there is a comparable 5.1 or 7.1 scope on the market these days for Surround fans. Hmm....

No one has a User Manual scan?

Also, maybe it's just me. But when I got it, these things are bigger than what I expected. The pictures somehow always make them look small.

No one has a User Manual scan?

Also, maybe it's just me. But when I got it, these things are bigger than what I expected. The pictures somehow always make them look small.

I have a user manual I can scan for you if you cant find one-

Colin

Hi Colin,

Yes, still unable to find a user manual for the scope. If you could scan yours it would be much appriciated.

Thanks!

Hi Colin,

Yes, still unable to find a user manual for the scope. If you could scan yours it would be much appriciated.

Thanks!

cool if you interested I can scan my RS-858DUS manual too- I think its a bit of a rarity due to all the different RS-858 versions, I guess Panasonic had a manual for every model

should be done for Wed/Thurs next week- not sure if the quality will be good but I do my best

Back