Mislabel or what

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadchuck

I have 2 Tony Mattola with strings albums. Both say quad but one has CD-4 sticker, and the othe doesn't.
The c-4 album plays fine but the other doesn't play cd-4 yet both are 5069 QD and records are
etched in guard band QD.
Is it a known error or is the other album a SQ or RM and not labeled?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20231224_090509.jpg
    20231224_090509.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231224_090628.jpg
    20231224_090628.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231224_090639.jpg
    20231224_090639.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 0
I have the EV-4 recording of that particular album.

If it were CD-4 it would likely have the sticker to say as much, same with QS and SQ records from Project 3.
At least that's been my experience with Project 3 quad records.
They are the only record company to issue vinyl in 4 different quad formats.

I have Project 3 test records, one SQ and 1 CD-4 , but they are clearly labeled.
I don't get why some were so vague, also as if they were afraid to clearly state
format.

Yea, I know .

But I think that's indemic of their EV-4 albums ....no sticker to indicate what vinyl format they are .

I have a few SQ , and one QS, and also The Popular Science test and demo disc's for CD-4 , and QS .

I have Permissive Polyphonics in EV-4 , from Realistic Radio Shack And that one says EV-4.
Also I have it in QS and CD-4 both have the aforementioned labels for identification .

I notice my copy of Tony Mottola with Strings (EV-4) has only a quarter inch run out ...on side one. That's a dead giveaway it's not CD-4 . I don't think I've ever seen a CD-4 album with less than an inch run out .

So no indicative sticker...you can assume it's EV-4.

I have 2 Tony Mattola with strings albums. Both say quad but one has CD-4 sticker, and the othe doesn't.
The c-4 album plays fine but the other doesn't play cd-4 yet both are 5069 QD and records are
etched in guard band QD.
Is it a known error or is the other album a SQ or RM and not labeled?
Thanks
The first label clearly shows CD-4 after the record number the other does not. The second copy would most likely be EV-4.

Thank for response.
Listening to SQ or any matrix record seems like work. I prefer a CD-4, of course the cleaner the better.
I like my collection of SQ/QS but seldom listen to them

That's probably a QS LP. Tony and Strings was never released in EV

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Project3.htm
The most annoying thing about Project3 albums is that other than the CD-4 and most of their SQ albums, they never indicated what the matrix used was. There were early stickers for EV and QS, but those are rare and were only used for a short time. In fact, I never saw the EV or QS stickers, and the ones shown in the QQ Label Page for Project3 linked above I got from Nick Perugini, who knows everything there is to know about Project3. He also gave me that order form that's linked to on that page.

Their CD-4 stuff is clearly marked with not just the sticker, but in the album number, like yours is. Many of their later SQ albums are numbered with SQ after the pressing number.

But with the EV and QS LPs, you are pretty much on your own

EV was the first matrix system (other than DY and DQ) used to record quadraphonic records. Many labels at that time just put "quadraphonic" on without identifying a system.

EV was the first matrix system (other than DY and DQ) used to record quadraphonic records. Many labels at that time just put "quadraphonic" on without identifying a system.
Yep, Got a few of those myself. Who knows what they’re supposed to sound like?

Back