My new Surround Master V3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon my adolescent naiveté but, what the hell does a SM(v3) do in a nutshell?
Can I play my Led Zep CDs and mad-jack-ally get quadraphonic ejaculation?
:51QQ

Er, uhm, how does it do it, baby?
best-austin-powers-quotes-103119.jpg
OK I think I'm done with Tribbys education about quad ejackulation from an earlier post about ELO. Since there is so much here to answer his question about the Surround Master why should I bother?

Last edited:
I'm not gonna spend weeks wading through literally thousands of posts and useless youtube videos that don't explain what the hell is this thing and part with my hard earned cash. $1,000!!! Sorry. There is too much trash around here. I need clear technical explainin' to part with that hefty sum.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna spend weeks wading through literally thousands of posts and useless youtube videos that don't explain what the hell is this thing and part with my hard earned cash. $1,000!!! Sorry. There is too much trash around here. I need clear technical explainin' to part with that hefty sum.
Lazy. Make the effort. Clear explaining here.

Last edited:
in a nutshell, it does what earlier surround processors do with music and movies, i.e., provide a plausible surround sound environment using just two original channels via extraction and logic steering/processing of matrixed or random out-of-phase elements inherent in most existing stereo recordings. IOW it extracts said stereo surround/difference signal and sends it to 2 or more rear speakers, plus it derives via extraction of L+R and some logic steering, a center channel between the left and right stereo speakers [useful for filling in the hole in the middle if you have them wider than the recommended 60-80 degrees apart] as well as supply a filtered 120 cycle subwoofer output. it by all accounts does these tasks better than dolby pro logic IIx and Neo: 6 as well as earlier generations of matrix-based surround decoders. and it does this with the universe of existing stereo recordings out there. granted, it is not the same as dolby digital or other true digital surround formats that give you discrete channels from the git-go, but it supplies a plausible imitation of that result just the same, with any stereo record you got. a while ago they were selling scratch-and-dent models for a hundred bucks cheaper. watch out for those rare sales. i know i will eventually go into debt to get one of these babies just as soon as they become available again [artificial scarcity going on here?].

in a nutshell, it does what earlier surround processors do with music and movies, i.e., provide a plausible surround sound environment using just two original channels via extraction and logic steering/processing of matrixed or random out-of-phase elements inherent in most existing stereo recordings. IOW it extracts said stereo surround/difference signal and sends it to 2 or more rear speakers, plus it derives via extraction of L+R and some logic steering, a center channel between the left and right stereo speakers [useful for filling in the hole in the middle if you have them wider than the recommended 60-80 degrees apart] as well as supply a filtered 120 cycle subwoofer output. it by all accounts does these tasks better than dolby pro logic IIx and Neo: 6 as well as earlier generations of matrix-based surround decoders. and it does this with the universe of existing stereo recordings out there. granted, it is not the same as dolby digital or other true digital surround formats that give you discrete channels from the git-go, but it supplies a plausible imitation of that result just the same, with any stereo record you got. a while ago they were selling scratch-and-dent models for a hundred bucks cheaper. watch out for those rare sales. i know i will eventually go into debt to get one of these babies just as soon as they become available again [artificial scarcity going on here?].
Just make sure you have everything else you need as well, before going into debt for the S.M. They don't have an HDMI out, so you will need a receiver with analog inputs and 4 identical/similar speakers. If you don't have the receiver you will need 2 identical stereo amps and 4 speakers minimum and will need to manually adjust the level on the S.M. since it doesn't have remote control.

My receiver with analog inputs died so I am having to save up to buy amps or pay big bucks to get a new receiver with analog inputs. They are really expensive new with the analog inputs. So unfortunately I haven't been able to use my S.M. for months. I hope to purchase 2 new mono-blocks for my 2 channel stereo and then repurpose the 2 stereo amp currently switched to mono-blocks to use for my quad setup. This seems like a better option than just putting an extra $2k into a receiver, but I also am considering the receiver option to get Atmos ( more speakers and more $$ ). Hard decision.

Pardon my adolescent naiveté but, what the hell does a SM(v3) do in a nutshell?

You can try surround sound nearly for free:

If you have 1 extra speaker sitting around your place, you can try what's called the "Hafler/DynaQuad" passive (no decoder needed) surround sound method.

On your stereo amplifier, connect one speaker wire (of your 1 extra speaker) to the + terminal for the L speaker and the other speaker wire (of your 1 extra speaker) to the + terminal for the R speaker.

This 1 extra speaker should be placed behind you in your listening area, the surround sound effect is fairly good, but not nearly as good as the SM.

Kirk Bayne

My only biased addition to your comments is that audiences either cannot pick the difference or have a slight preference to Involve encode/ decode when instant A/ B compared to discrete Dolby. Issue is aside from Suzanne Ciani Quad album there are no Involve encode sources around!

Just make sure you have everything else you need as well, before going into debt for the S.M. They don't have an HDMI out, so you will need a receiver with analog inputs and 4 identical/similar speakers. If you don't have the receiver you will need 2 identical stereo amps and 4 speakers minimum and will need to manually adjust the level on the S.M. since it doesn't have remote control.

My receiver with analog inputs died so I am having to save up to buy amps or pay big bucks to get a new receiver with analog inputs. They are really expensive new with the analog inputs. So unfortunately I haven't been able to use my S.M. for months. I hope to purchase 2 new mono-blocks for my 2 channel stereo and then repurpose the 2 stereo amp currently switched to mono-blocks to use for my quad setup. This seems like a better option than just putting an extra $2k into a receiver, but I also am considering the receiver option to get Atmos ( more speakers and more $$ ). Hard decision.
Working on the HDMI thing right now

You can try surround sound nearly for free:

If you have 1 extra speaker sitting around your place, you can try what's called the "Hafler/DynaQuad" passive (no decoder needed) surround sound method.

On your stereo amplifier, connect one speaker wire (of your 1 extra speaker) to the + terminal for the L speaker and the other speaker wire (of your 1 extra speaker) to the + terminal for the R speaker.

This 1 extra speaker should be placed behind you in your listening area, the surround sound effect is fairly good, but not nearly as good as the SM.

Kirk Bayne
But I always liked it!

Sounds like Surround Master v4 is coming someday. Since I use it in my family room system with an Exasound 7.1 channel DAC, and a Coleman 7.1sw switcher, I do not require HDMI though. But surely a good many can probably use HDMI. Will it be both HDMI in and out?
Nup, it will be a separate 8 channel in to HDMI box

I'm hoping you guys win a $20k lottery ticket. Umm.. maybe $40k more?!
The real trick is to bypass paying $20K per annum fees

I was afraid this would be a major sticking point. I remember when HDMI first came out I discussed this with my SSP manufacturing, Theta Digital, hoping they would upgrade my analog Theta Casablanca 3 SSP to digital. Back then I did some beta testing for them. Neil Sinclair, getting towards retirement, decided to sell the company to ATI, which had the financial resources to develop the Casablanca into the digital age. And HDMI costs were a significant factor then. Though I don't know how this has changed in the many years since then, I would hope that HDMI licensing would get cheaper. Certainly an 8 channel analog in to HDMI box would be a great product! Back in my analog Theta Casablanca 3 days (through 2011, when the new Theta upgraded to digital HDMI) (by the way, back then Theta had a Circle Surround mode, which worked nicely), Theta had an analog Six Shooter, with 7.1 analog and balanced inputs and outputs, as an addition to the Casablanca 3 SSP. Your idea will upgrade and simplify that to HDMI out!

A quad to HDMI encoder. I did a bit of research a couple of years back and found A-D chips that output IIC and an HDMI chip that took that input, so it’s doable, but I still have so many projects in my house that I tell people I live in the projects.
How do you get the chips without the license?

Back