Nektar-Live in NY 5.1 SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sspsandy

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Latest news from the Nektar camp:

LIVE IN NEW YORK 1974 - Dream Nebula DNECD 1206/7

The complete concert recorded at the Academy of Music, New York City on September 28th 1974, spread across two CDs, available in the SACD 5.1 surround hybrid format. Eclectic Discs are pleased and proud to present Nektar’s first ever concert in New York City in the manner in which it should be heard. This album is a tribute both a wonderful band and their loyal audience. The first thousand will be available as a double Digi-Pak, released on September 13th 2004.

Now available for pre-order from Eclectic discs. Contains all the music from the double album Live in NY and the subsequent double lp More Live in NY. At $22.00 that's 4 lps for the price of one SACD. At this rate, Nektar is going to be in Bob Dylan and Steely Dan territory as far as total SACD multichannel releases.

sspsandy said:
Latest news from the Nektar camp:

LIVE IN NEW YORK 1974 - Dream Nebula DNECD 1206/7

Now available for pre-order from Eclectic discs. Contains all the music from the double album Live in NY and the subsequent double lp More Live in NY. At $22.00 that's 4 lps for the price of one SACD. At this rate, Nektar is going to be in Bob Dylan and Steely Dan territory as far as total SACD multichannel releases.

This IS excellent news Sandy. The others are great! Eclectic Discs are excellent to deal with too. I wonder though, why the new studio recording they are working on is only a Redbook CD though. You would think that they could record it with MC SACD in mind. I would have prepurchased it when they were looking for sponsers if it had been announced as an SACD. Curious! :confused:

Mike.

I wondered that myself. I do know that the financial constraints are tight, so perhaps if it does well they'll re-release it in SACD. The back catalogue has a built-in following that insures decent sales, the new Nektar Evolution band at this point is unproven.

sspsandy said:
I wondered that myself. I do know that the financial constraints are tight, so perhaps if it does well they'll re-release it in SACD. The back catalogue has a built-in following that insures decent sales, the new Nektar Evolution band at this point is unproven.

I asked the same question..the answer was that it costs more money to do it as a hybrid sacd and regular cd dealers won't pay a premium. They were also concerned that the new release would get buried in some SACD section only..

My response was to just do it anyways and treat the release similar to DSOTM or the Rolling Stones and essentially call it a CD release with "bonus tracks" containing a 5.1 hires version..

I picked up the Nektar Live In New York SACD last Friday night when I saw Nektar and Caravan play the last show of their US tour at the Keswick Theater outside Philadelphia. I've listened to it a number of times, so here are some of my impressions of it.

The show from the Academy of Music, September 1974, was recorded on 16 track tape. It was also broadcast live on WNEW-FM. The Bellaphon lps/cds of the show were taken, for some reason, from the stereo broadcast which was very compressed, so the sound quality was very thin. For the new SACD remaster, the original 16 track recordings were found in the vaults and used. Unfortunately, they had suffered water damage. The engineer of the project, Paschal Byrne, had to take each individual track and convert them to digital.

Despite the multitracks, much of the instuments and vocals were difficult to isolate, so it was decided to make the 5.1 remaster the best possible reproduction of the live concert sound. This being said, the end result is quite satisfactory. The instruments and vocals are super clear, the bass response is excellent, and the overall mix is of the all around surround variety.

While much of the music is in more than one channel, the sounds have been assigned in a very tasteful way. The vocals come clearly from the front speakers, but you get some echo and reverb in the rears. The drums are up front in parts, yet certain cymbal sound and kick bass will be coming from the back. There are parts where the lead and bass guitars are up front, and the keyboards are coming from the back. And as well, on guitar solos, there is echo and reverb coming from the rears. In places the audience is all around you, and at times distinctly from the rears. There is also separation of sounds between the front l&r speakers, as well as the rears.

Now it is not as discrete as the CD-4 of Live At The Fillmore by The Allman Bros., but it is also not the typical sound up front, audience and ambience in the rears of many current live discs. Considering what they had to work with, this album is an excellent example of how an almost lost live recording can be archived as a showcase piece of rock history. And quite simply, it blows the Bellaphon lps/cds out of the water. They also included the entire performance on this 2 SACD set, including the introduction by Allison Steele, comments to the audience by the band, and the part in Remember the Future where a roady kicked the main power cable out and cut off the sound in the middle of the song (which was edited out on the lp/cd).

This SACD really sounds like you are sitting at a live show, they went all out with this one when they could have just done it as a remastered 20 bit cd, and reportedly it cost a bomb to do. All through the efforts of their own record label, Eclectic Discs, without the support of any major label or distributor. Copies are a limited pressing, and depending on how well it does will determine whether a second one is in order, or whether the new album, Evolution, gets the 5.1 SACD treatment.

Since the tour was pretty successful, they managed to fill the halls and theaters that they mostly rented in advance, they are now set to put Down To Earth out as an SACD 5.1, as the multi track tapes for the quad mix are in excellent condition and won't need much mastering. There's also a spring tour planned for the west coast, with possibly a couple of NY/NJ shows to kick it off. The band is back in a big way, they were quad pioneers and now are totally embracing the new multichannel scene. The new album is getting great reviews as being a continuation of the sound and concept ideas that they had going in the mid 70's, yet with the idea of moving on into the future.

All in all, this release is one you'd want to grab for your collection if you are a multichannel enthusiast, especially if you like their other releases. It's an excellent cross section of their classic period, and their playing at this show was a creative peak for the band. Very satisfying.

Last edited:
Great review of the new SACD release. Sounds promising! I'll have to order it. I too saw Nektar (with Caravan) on Sunday, September 19th at a club called Martyr's in Chicago. Good show! I was amazed at how packed it was (too bad I didn't pick up the live SACD then).

You guys are lucky..

I was so looking forward to seeing them again but the show in Toronto got cancelled..:(

Reviews for both the live show and new album were very positive..

How I wish they would have issued the new album as a hybrid MC Sacd..

Guess I'll have to pick it up anyways..

John, I haven't gotten it yet, wanting the SACD first, but will be ordering it this weekend. Have hope, things seem to be really gelling for Nektar, my understanding is that they are really into SACD as a format and are going to get as much stuff out in multichannel as they can. Note how Remember The Future was first done as a 20 bit remaster redbook cd, and then put out as a 5.1 SACD hybrid. The remastered cd is now a rare collector's item, so it would be worth it to get the new Evolution album, as it was pressed in a small run and they've been going quick. From the reviews I've read, it is a return to form for the band, continuing the saga where Recycled left off. Sorry you missed them, it was well worth the drive to catch them. The spring tour sounds like a good excuse to take a vacation on the West Coast!

Here's the context that I meant that statement in. I have 6 different versions of Remember The Future, Australian, German and US lps, the 1st Bellaphon cd with the wrong mix, the Bellaphon Nektar approved remaster, and the new SACD (hardcore fan, I know). I check what's available on eBay, and the German lp is pretty scarce, the Australian lp on the Real label almost never shows up, but I haven't seen any of the wrong mix cds in quite a long while (Bellaphon pulled them), and the 20 bit remaster was a very limited run. It is now completely out of print, and I have yet to see one on eBay since the SACD came out. As well, their albums and out of print Bellaphon cds seem to be getting higher prices than just a year ago, and in this economy that's not bad (I know, 'cause I'm trying to get some of the original lps on either Bellaphon or UA labels in clean condition). So as to it's value, only time will tell, but as far as pressings go I think it is fair to call it rare at this point. As to an offer, let me get the new Evolution cd first, and I may very well take you up on it, it would make a neat Christmas gift for somebody. :smokin

Back