NETFLIX for the win!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that! Who knew they supported ATMOS <tilt>!

Comparing Netflix to HBO, I get better sound from Netflix -- maybe it is because I use NEO:X, HBO has the occasional sound problem -- ads will sometimes only play in the left channel, but the actual show (say, WESTWORLD) will be good to great 5.1. On the recent GAME OF THRONES episodes, though, I get a tinny sound in the high range on (admittedly rare) occasions. Not very often, but enough to be annoying. It's the same sound as if your tweeters are blown, but I know they are not, as that is the only place I hear it.

Overall, I'm very happy with the two for multichannel on my 7.2 system. There is also the streaming CBS: I watch STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, which sounds fine -- until the streaming audio goes awry from the video, and the lip-synch is bad. I've tried several fixes, including pausing for the buffer, going away and coming back, but at some point the very vexing mis-match happens.

Last edited:
It's a more expensive Netflix, right? I think I have just basic. I'd consider trying Netflix Atmos, at least temporarily. Through my OPPO, I guess.

Actually, not that I'm equipped for Atmos, but your best chance of hearing a ton of ATMOS is via motion pictures. Most current ones do sport ATMOS soundtracks.

Update on sound: once I bought a new tv _specifically_ because it had an eARC that actually worked (the latest Sony OLED), I was able to stream
Dolby Atmos at last on any streaming service that offers it :dance. Best sound so far is actually PRIME! Paramount+ sounds great, too, as well as HBO -- and Netflix, of course. CBS (Paramount+) actually fixed their streaming audio synch problem, and the latest STAR TREKs are fantastic quality sight and sound.

I think Dolby Atmos is starting to win over folks, or at least streaming services consider it part of the competition. . . .

Update on sound: once I bought a new tv _specifically_ because it had an eARC that actually worked (the latest Sony OLED), I was able to stream
Dolby Atmos at last on any streaming service that offers it :dance. Best sound so far is actually PRIME! Paramount+ sounds great, too, as well as HBO -- and Netflix, of course. CBS (Paramount+) actually fixed their streaming audio synch problem, and the latest STAR TREKs are fantastic quality sight and sound.

I think Dolby Atmos is starting to win over folks, or at least streaming services consider it part of the competition. . . .

What are you using for Paramount+? I use the internal app on my Sony A80J and I only get 2.0 sound.

What are you using for Paramount+? I use the internal app on my Sony A80J and I only get 2.0 sound.
I have installed Plex on my Sony KD55AF8BU OLED TV and couldn't get anything other than stereo with Plex, but it turns out that under the Plex settings, and HDMI there is a Pass-Through option, once I'd selected that I got surround/Atmos. May be there is a similar option with your built in App?

I think I have that setting- not sure if it's selected or not. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Though I do have 5.1 on braviacore and AppleTV apps, but not on Moviesanywhere or Vudu.

First, the AVR is important; I have a Denon AVR-X8500HA 13.2 Channel
set up as 7.2.4 -- but my old Sony tv couldn't do eARC (even though it is listed as having it).

So (sigh) I replaced it with a Sony - 55" Class BRAVIA XR A80K 4K HDR OLED Google TV. Was tricky trying to get both to
work together, and I'm still not sure if I should send a signal through the Oppo I have for blu ray etc. instead, but it works
very well and so I don't want to mess anything up! Took a Geek Squad a few visits to get it all working nicely -- the
big hold-up, and my biggest frustration until we solved it, was that the eARC HDMI cable _must_ be the newer 2.0 or 2.1.

My old HDMI of 1.0 would simply not do anything on eARC. Very happy with the sound and picture now, and if I have a complaint,
it is that the current setup won't allow me to do the latest Quadio packages <grr> as tvs no longer use DTS, and so the
menus don't work on my tv for the blu rays. Again, I could reroute through the Oppo. Tried a few times but it messed things up, so now I have
it back and have resigned myself into setting up my old AVR and a monitor in my bedroom to do a quad setup there.

set up as 7.2.4 -- but my old Sony tv couldn't do eARC (even though it is listed as having it).

So (sigh) I replaced it with a Sony - 55" Class BRAVIA XR A80K 4K HDR OLED Google TV. Was tricky trying to get both to
work together, and I'm still not sure if I should send a signal through the Oppo I have for blu ray etc. instead, but it works
very well and so I don't want to mess anything up! Took a Geek Squad a few visits to get it all working nicely -- the
big hold-up, and my biggest frustration until we solved it, was that the eARC HDMI cable _must_ be the newer 2.0 or 2.1.

My old HDMI of 1.0 would simply not do anything on eARC. Very happy with the sound and picture now, and if I have a complaint,
it is that the current setup won't allow me to do the latest Quadio packages <grr> as tvs no longer use DTS, and so the
menus don't work on my tv for the blu rays. Again, I could reroute through the Oppo. Tried a few times but it messed things up, so now I have
it back and have resigned myself into setting up my old AVR and a monitor in my bedroom to do a quad setup there.
I had similar issues with my Pioneer SC-LX86 & Sony KD55AF8BU OLED TV, so I've just recently got a Denon AVC X8500HA, and at first eARC didn't work, took a bit of manipulation on the Sony now it works!

I have for Audio (I have a small monitor connected to the Denon so I don't need the TV on), an Oppo 203 & Sony BDP-X800MkII connected through the Denon to the TV, the Quadio discs work OK that way.

My Sky Q satellite box (with Netflix & Disney+) & Panasonic BD player are connected directly to the TV, and I can listen in surround from them via the eARC to the Amp.

My older AVR is Arc-only; I've had problems with it so I just use optical out. I get 5.1 DD usually, but some apps just do 2.0. I think it's a limitation of the apps, but I'd think my 80J would use the same app as your 80K...

I will check into the passthrough option though. Fingers crossed. It's not like I'm paying for Paramount+; I got a free month, then when I cancelled, they gave me two more free months. I'll be gone after that.

My older AVR is Arc-only; I've had problems with it so I just use optical out. I get 5.1 DD usually, but some apps just do 2.0. I think it's a limitation of the apps, but I'd think my 80J would use the same app as your 80K...

I will check into the passthrough option though. Fingers crossed. It's not like I'm paying for Paramount+; I got a free month, then when I cancelled, they gave me two more free months. I'll be gone after that.
I forgot to ask if you were using the higher price tier on Paramount+ in order to get Dolby Atmos in the first place. But maybe I'm confusing tier pricing with another service, it's been a while. . . .

I forgot to ask if you were using the higher price tier on Paramount+ in order to get Dolby Atmos in the first place. But maybe I'm confusing tier pricing with another service, it's been a while. . . .

I chose the most expensive plan, since I'm not paying anything. But I think you're thinking of netflix, where you have to get the most costly subscription to get 4K and Atmos.

So, they're increasing their audio bitrate to be on-par with Apple Music and, most likely, many other music and video streaming services. It's still heavily lossy and nowhere near "master" quality. That's some heavy marketing spin. What a joke!

I noticed the sound quality upgrades, too. The way it immerses you in the action is unreal.
Wanna add that Netflix is stepping up its sound game, and it's a total win! I noticed the sound quality upgrades, too.

It's like a mini home theater experience! Whether it's epic explosions or whispers in a quiet scene, you're right there. I love the direction they're heading in. There's one more news for you - Netflix shares are partly a piece of prince harry net worth. Isn't that amazing?

Back