New SACDs from Jorma Kaukonen & Amanda Marshall

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Sony Music continues to issue new albums on SACD with the release of "Blue Country Heart" by Jorma Kaukonen and "Everybody's Got A Story" by Amanda Marshall. Both SACDs are Single Layer Multichannel SACDs that are available in retail stores and web outlets that carry SACDs today. Here's a bit more information about these new releases:

Blue Country Heart
by Jorma Kaukonen
(Columbia SACD CS 86394)

Jorma Kaukonen is probably best known from his days playing guitar in the Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna. Blue Country Heart features Kaukonen on a collection of blues standards from the 1920s and 1930s. Accompanying him on the album are bluegrass stars Bela Fleck and Jerry Douglas. Also of note, Blue Country Heart was recorded using the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) system. Those who have heard advance copies of this SACD tell me it's one SACD fans will want to hear.

Musicians:
Jorma Kaukonen, guitar & vocal
Sam Bush, mandolin, fiddle & background vocals
Jerry Douglas, dobro & weissenborn
Byron House, bass & background vocals
Bela Fleck, banjo

Album Tracks:
1. Blue Railroad Train
2. Just Because
3. Blues Stay Away From Me
4. Red River Blues
5. Bread Line Blues
6. Waiting For A Train
7. Those Gambler's Blues
8. Tom Cat Blues
9. Big River Blues
10. Prohibition Blues
11. I'm Free From The Chain Gang Now
12. You And My Old Guitar
13. What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?

Everybody's Got A Story
by Amanda Marshall
(Columbia SACD CS 86316)

Everybody's Got A Story is the third album from Canadian pop star Amanda Marshall. The album's title track has been nominated for a Juno Award in Canada. On this album, she teams up with producer Peter Asher to deliver an album with both Pop and R&B influences.

Album Tracks:
1. Everybody's Got A Story
2. The Voice Inside
3. The Gypsy
4. Colleen (I Saw Him First)
5. Double Agent
6. Red Magic Marker
7. Sunday Morning After
8. Love Is My Witness
9. Dizzy
10. Brand New Beau
11. Marry Me
12. Inside The Tornado

Brian,

I have not received the disc yet but Elusive disc tells me that their is a defect on the Amanda Marshall disc and that it will not play on the XA-777ES. Have you heard anything about that?

Jason emailed me today asking me which player I have. Once I told him the XA 777ES, he informed me that they had confirmed it has a problem but did not specify what the problem is. Since I also have a 9000es (which he says will play it), I had them ship to me. When I get it, I will report back.

When I first got my 9000es, I thought I remember that Sony had a 800 number for any SACD problems. Do you know if they still do this? Do you know the number?

Thanks

No, can't say I'm aware of the SACD 800 number.

These days I'm using a Philips SACD-1000 for SACD playback. No problems on any of my SACD discs so far.

So I finally got the Amanda Marshall disc. It does have a problem on the stereo version when played on my XA777ES. This does not affect me to much since I usually play the discs in multi-channel.

The disc does play fine in stereo on my 9000es.

Also, for anyone interested, the number to call Sony for problems with the disc is 1.800.255.7514. Others have called and Sony is saying they will be replacing them.

Yep, it has no problem in multi-channel. Very nice surround disc.

Back