New Sphere (Vegas, NV) venue it's bonkers (and immersive too!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made requests to go see one of the first shows in early Oct. I am excited to see & hear the venue as well as see U2, who have not played Denver on the last couple of tours.

This is a very exciting technology. I'll be looking for a group or artist that currently thrills me, then probably go experience this.
I would say the same thing. But man does it pain me to do so.

I've seen U2 on every tour, often multiple times, since the original indoor leg of Achtung Baby in '92, and have pored over everything they've ever officially released (and loads of stuff they haven't as well) since I was 11. I am not a "fanatic" for any person, artist, etc., and they're one of many whose work I know very well—but they're a big part of my life and musical DNA since I got into them in my very formative years. For a couple of them, U2 was almost all I listened to.

They've certainly annoyed/disappointed me here and there over the years but I've always eventually bounced back... I just can't get over the nagging feeling I've got these days that none of what they're doing right now feels good to me.

Once again, it ain't about me, of course. They're free to do whatever they want and time is precious and fleeting. They're not anywhere close to the first band that has changed out key members (permanently or temporarily), but for me personally, this is the first time it's really hitting home in a way that doesn't work for me. In so many other instances I could at least argue why... someone simply quit or died, they all hated each other anyway, etc., etc.—but I've always said that a huge component of being a U2 fan for me, in some ways maybe more important than anything else (including the music), was their story. No matter how ambivalent I ever was about the latest record, whenever these four friends who did something absolutely unimaginable together, and always put the friendship first and foremost so that it remained only the four of them, walked out on stage—I would always get emotional, all would be forgiven, and they would always kick my ass live no matter what.

When the announcement came out this week about the tickets, I did blink... because the venue does look amazing and I'm super curious about the technology and the experience. But ultimately stood firm that I'm going to sit this one out. Who knows if this is the end of the road (it feels like we're starting to come to that) and if there will be an opportunity to even bounce back to this time... but either way, I'm good.

The price tag is also HUGE, especially factoring in flights, hotel, food and everything else on top of it. But I still might be tempted if it were in fact U2... but for me, after all this time and mileage, this band is just not "U2" without Larry and I really don't care "what would U2 sound like with a different drummer?" I already know the answer - "not U2". Even if this didn't involve a cross country flight, I just don't think I'd bite on the marketing and hype and what feels like a money grab and a lot of smart spin around a situation that is less than ideal and in reality they probably can't back out of. Other things I went and saw maybe people would say the same thing... but this one is just different for me due to emotional investment. I already know my friends attending are going to tell me it was absolutely insane. That's all fine and good, and it doesn't change my mind.

All of the recent activity (Songs of Surrender, the Letterman special on Disney+, Bono's book and mini-tour, the Tiny Desk Concert, this Zane Lowe stuff, and now the promotion for the Sphere) kinda exposes what I guess we kinda all knew to be true under the surface anyway all of these years... it's ultimately the Bono + Edge show. But I liked how they always played it cooler and more magnanimous than that regardless.

Still, Edge (and Zane) singing the praises of Atmos audio gives me hope we could yet see some back catalog in the format.

OK fine, I'm a fanatic for pizza.

I loooooove me some U2, right up to Pop, which is one of my favorite records by any band.
After that, musically very hit or (mostly) miss, for me.
I became familiar with them mainly through Achtung Baby era MTV. So, I'm definitely missing a whole heap of history with them.

And I agree. Mullen Jr. is absolutely essential, in my view.

Both architectural and designal wise seems like the new 8th world wonder!
U2 will inaugurate in the fall 2023. And yes...it's immersive, both visually and audibly (Atmos). Take a look.

https://www.thespherevegas.com/science?camefrom=cfc_sphere

my God we are all getting old

oldpeople t shirt.jpg

I'm more interested in how Bono's voice is holding up, not so much how he looks 😄

This is some really impressive shit!

I've been dreaming about something like this since I was a youngster actually (albeit with a more personal application); here's what I said in my QQ introduction post back in 2018-

"My first recollection of loving music started as a young teen in the early 1960’s; camping out in a tent in our backyard and listing to the British invasion on my little transistor radio – “Plastic Silver 9-Volt Heart” (thank you Iguanas.) It wasn’t long after that time I had these dreams of being in a large Geodesic dome building, hanging in a hammock contraption dead center inside the dome. The walls of the dome would be a collection of speakers (an undetermined number, but let’s say a couple dozen.) This dome would be nothing but a giant listening room with different instruments/vocals mixed in a total 360 degree immersive way."

U2 please send my share of the gross receipts directly to my bank account... what's that you say?
Oh yeah, right :unsure:

Curious about checking this place out. Phish’s longtime lighting engineer (who jams along with them, but with lights) Chris Kuroda was brought in to consult on the light rigs/screen set up etc. The theory/rumor is the band might move out of MSG NYC and into MSG Vegas for New Years/Halloween runs.

There’s also a new audio system for The Sphere, and again tested out by Phish, or well, Trey solo, that’s supposed to beam audio directly to each seat, so each seat has a clear sound
https://nysmusic.com/2022/07/27/new...eacon-to-feature-innovative-new-audio-system/

Curious about checking this place out. Phish’s longtime lighting engineer (who jams along with them, but with lights) Chris Kuroda was brought in to consult on the light rigs/screen set up etc. The theory/rumor is the band might move out of MSG NYC and into MSG Vegas for New Years/Halloween runs.

There’s also a new audio system for The Sphere, and again tested out by Phish, or well, Trey solo, that’s supposed to beam audio directly to each seat, so each seat has a clear sound
https://nysmusic.com/2022/07/27/new...eacon-to-feature-innovative-new-audio-system/
They mention the sound in the OP video.
"The dome is the speaker" or something to that effect.

I'm sure there will be more focus (har har) on the sound engineering as we approach opening day and the hype machine for The Sphere kicks into full action.

I've kinda been watching this go up, it's not in a part of town I frequent but have managed some peaks from neighboring roads en route and it's impressive. I'm not easily impressed. The new football (Allegant) stadium is really big too, although this will top it simply because there's exterior lighting for The Sphere that will be an attraction of itself.

I'll spend extra to see a show at The Sphere, whereas I'm avoiding shows elsewhere in the city (due to unfavorable logistics and ticket prices). Other than hockey games once or twice a year, in the 4+ years living in Vegas I'm been to the strip maybe 12 times total. Several of those were for an employer. Locals avoid the strip at all costs, it's expensive and cost a lot to enjoy things too. :p If it wasn't for the shuttle that leaves 10 minutes from our home on hockey game days, we'd never go down there. Pro tip: if visiting Vegas, stay off the strip and come in for specific things. The strip itself is not worth the cost of entry, so to speak. IMHO opinion of course, I'm sure there's people enthralled by the "sights and sounds". IMO it's pretty base.

Last edited:
Back