Newb from Denver. Hi and a question.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vespertillio

Hello all and thank you for having me. Forgive my lack of knowledge here. I've been trying to get a reel to reel up and running so we can play some of my wife's fathers tapes. He died recently and I thought it would be nice to listen to some of them. I happened to pick up an Akai GX-280D SS. It seems to be a really nice player and I am getting some music out of it but I think the music I'm listening to is a stereo and not a quad tape. I guess my question is is it okay to play stereo tapes on these units? If so how do you make it so it doesn't sound like it's possessed or a constant Beatles backmasking lol? Thank you all in advance for your help, time and consideration

HiFiEngine has the owner's manual, it is free but requires sign up. Akai GX-280D-SS Discrete 4-Channel Tape Deck Manual | HiFi Engine Akai GX-280D-SS Discrete 4-Channel Tape Deck Manual | HiFi Engine

I guess you are listening to all four tracks of a stereo tape if you are hearing something backwards. On the front panel there is a push button called ST Selector. It looks like that should be pushed in for stereo or out for 4ch.
Or, if you are listening only to front L and R and hear it backwards, the tape was left tail-out, which is a very good idea few other than studio-types follow. If it is tail out, that means to play back it must be rewound first. put it on the right (take up side) like it was already played through, put the empty reel on the left and rewind. Then play. That leaves it played gently while it is wound back on the reel

Back