Newbie needs some input.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred Zeppelin

Hello everyone, I'm new to the quadraphonic world and I'm looking for some input. Currently I have a Technics SL-1200 M3D connected to a Rane TTM-56 mixer, which in turn is connected to a Sony TA-AX390 Acoustic Controlled Amplifier. Also connected to this amp is a Sony TC-WR97ES dual cassette deck. I recently acquired some quad LP's and want to use them to the fullest extent, so, what do I need to add to my current setup to be able to run in quadraphonic mode? Any help is appreciated and I thank you for your time.

-chad-

Shred Zeppelin said:
Hello everyone, I'm new to the quadraphonic world and I'm looking for some input. Currently I have a Technics SL-1200 M3D connected to a Rane TTM-56 mixer, which in turn is connected to a Sony TA-AX390 Acoustic Controlled Amplifier. Also connected to this amp is a Sony TC-WR97ES dual cassette deck. I recently acquired some quad LP's and want to use them to the fullest extent, so, what do I need to add to my current setup to be able to run in quadraphonic mode? Any help is appreciated and I thank you for your time.

-chad-

Howdy,

Can't say I'm familiar with any of your equipment, so I'll keep my answer general. The short answer is: it depends on the format of your quad records.

If your quad albums are SQ or QS (matrixed) quad formats, then all you need is something to decode the multichannel information, and of course amplification and speakers for four channels, ideally matched.

SQ and QS are two different (at the time, competing) matrixed formats that encode additional channel information using phase differences (this is a grossly oversimplified explanation... but that's about as well as I understand it), much like Dolby Pro Logic.

For this you need a SQ and/or QS decoder. The Fosgate Tate II is the king for this, but they're rare and pricey. The other alternatives are decoders units by Sansui (QSD-1,2,1000, etc.), Lafayette, Marantz, Sony, etc., or you could get yourself a quad receiver and use it either on its own (as a decoder and amplifier) or as a decoder only by using its pre-amp outs to your regular equipment.

Myself, I've got a Sansui QRX-9001 receiver... which decodes all quad formats and sounds fantastic.

The other quad format is CD-4 (discrete 4 channel). To listen to these records, you'll need a decoder for this format and all the 4-channel amplification as above, PLUS you'll need a phono cartridge with a Shibata stylus, to properly read all 4 channels of information off the LP. These are fairly rare, though I think you can find some archived discussions on this forum dealing with what cartridge models will do the job.

(This format is apparently rather finnicky, and can be difficult to properly decode even when you have all the necessary equipment... though I've had pretty good luck with my Ed Saunders AT cartridge and CD-4 decoder in the 9001.)

So that's the short version of the story... basically you need to decide which formats you want the capability to decode, and then hunt for decoders that'll do the job, or one that will handle all three.

Hope that helps...

Hello Shred.

My view is that you sell the Quad Lps and get dts transfers. There are many official releases of old Quad masters.

Unless you really want to get into Quad Lps, there's no reason to spend a lot of money for just a few records. You need expensive components to listen to them the right way. If you don't decode them right, why bother?

Get a dts decoder for your expensive CD player or a Sony CD player with dts built-in. You get SACD capabilities too in the second case.

Shred Zeppelin said:

-chad-
What LP's did you get? There may be some nice transfers "floating around" already.

Wow, thanks for all the info Relayer, I appreciate it. I might have to go the route that proufo mentioned though, as this would be the easier approach to it. As for the records I acquired Bob, they are mostly Isao Tomita recordings, but I haven't had a chance to browse through them all yet. Thank you once again for the quick reply. All your comments are appreciated.

-chad-

I think Tab has done all of the Tomita reels. Check the HOME page for the MATRIXQUAD link.

Back