Question on how to integrate a QSD-1 into a Bi-Amp rig.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M-D-Z

QQ Supporter
~ ~ ~

This is my first post here, but I have been researching extensively here as well as elsewhere, and have also come to the confident belief that it shall be here that I doubtless will find the most workable, if not perfectly successful outcome.

I will get eventually to my question, but first please allow me to explain what I'm trying to do, and then why I can't seem to figure out how to make it all work.

Except for a studio four track R2R deck, all my current equipment is conventional stereo.

My motivation is to explore a new and broader sonic landscape by transforming normal stereo sources, as well as previously encoded traditional quad sources into a high quality quad playback system, but I still would like to retain my present setup basically the way it is, due to its already proven performance.
Is the correct description of this quad-system flow described this way,
(2-2-4) & (4-2-4)?

Later on I can send discrete "true" four channel through this system from the four track deck. (4-4-4)

I have enough equipment to expand into quad using matching amps and speakers.

Let me list the components that I wish to include in this new quad-rig.

The intent here is to implement this transition into quad by utilizing a new-to-me Sansui QSD-1, which hopefully can be added (integrated) to everything listed below,,,

1) Music Sources; too numerous to list here, so I'll simply say, any of my "stereo sources"

2) Sansui QSD-1

3) Crown Straightline Two (SL-2) preamp, or Rane Empath, or Allen & Heath ZED-12 FX mixer. Gotta love a good patch bay!

4) processors; Aphex w/BB, DBX 4BX expander, Dolby 363 SR/A (noise reduction)

5) DBX Drive Rack PA+, I will need it to execute all the speaker management tasks as well as serve as the crossover in the bi-amp mode.

6) two Crown Macro-Tech MA5002-VZ stereo amps, for producing freq from the mid lows to the highs into four spkrs

7) four three-way John Smith 12" speakers to handle all freq above ~90Hz.

8) one Crown Macro-Tech MA3600-VZ stereo amp for the two omni-directional subs

9) two JBL SR4718-X subs, summed mono to handle freq below 90Hz

Here's my dilemma;
I can not figure out how, or more to the issue, where to divide the incoming signals when the drive rack only allows one left and one right channel input,
I don't need to deliver any frequencies below 90 Hz to the four top speakers because all of the mono LF will be handled by the two 18" JBLs, but the DriveRack needs to maintain control over all six channels of amplified output in order to properly custom tailor optimal tonal characteristics.

I am prepared to buy another component if some one here with experience enough to define what equipment will be needed, and can explain to me how it will solve this quandary.

The drive rack needs to "hear" the full & total range of sound output in order to do its magic through implementation of the RTA mic processing.

If the drive rack is installed down-stream of any of the amps, then it will not be able to accomplish its mission.

If I send the XLR outputs of the DriveRack and convert them into the Sansui's four channel RCA inputs, will the QSD-1 still do its job, and the four outputs of the DriveRack are sonically divided as a crossover, so how do I get four signals that match up to the four matching higher freq speakers, and still deliver out the sub's signals?

I don't know what the range of expanded functionalities of the new DBX VENU are, except I understand that it has two additional outputs more than does my older DriveRack PA+.
Does anybody here have any experience with the new DBX 360 VENU?

Sorry to come here with such a long brain-twister as my first entry.

~ ~ ~

Back