Newbie on two fronts QRX 7001 and QR 6500 - Quetion on QRX 7001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty77_7

I'll keep using the search, and reading older posts, but thought I'd pop in and just ask for input too.

Background:
>Garage system is a QR 6500, driving in 2 CH stereo, my old Advent 1's. Very pleased with this unit. I'll pick up a second pair of Advent 1's when a clean pair pop up in my area.

>Office area is a QRX 7001, driving two sets of Kenleigh speakers. The fronts have a nice ribon tweeter, the rear's have a ringed loaded tweeter.

Question/Help Please

I've just hooked up the QRX 7001 for the first time today. No manual, so did make a few assumptions on how to set things up.
-Driving with Spkr A
-QS on
-FM is one source
-Radio Paradise via the Aux In, at Octoshape 192K MP3 play back setting, is my second source (and primary, while just listening)
-Also on the second source, is Pandora, with various 'station's' my wife and I have built
-Note: For computer fed sound, I have a Lite Audio DAC60 from Danny at GR Research, that is being upraded to a second level at this time, that will slide in between the Computer and the Sansui.

Ok so the main question. The unit has been playing now for three hours, I've played with all of the buttons, and knobs, all seem to work. While playing from the Aux In off of the comuter. About every 20-30 mins, for about 20 seconds, I get what sounds like static, or the same sound you would get if the FM was weak. Does not drop out/off all the way. Is this possibly a board that is going bad? Hard to pin point, but the distortion seems to come from all four corners. I've tried to quickly roll over to the unit, and turn up/down the volume control, and it does not seem to help/hurt. (Thought I might have some cleaning to do...).

Any ideas on what to look for?

The secondary questions. How dow these x001 QS respond to Tube DAC input? Will I be wasting the DAC in this system?

Thanks - From reading this board off and on the last few weeks, I appreciate finding a place where the Pro's can help the Newbie's. I'm pretty much up on Country Coach RV's, so I'll be happy to pay back with RV input:)! (Not and Airstream like Willie, but it does have a motor of it's own.... (Just swapped out the Bose 3-2-1 with a nice used Meridian G95 all in one - so I have tunes/movies while 'On-D-Road':)!)

Best,
Smitty
QR 6500/QRX 7001 Newbie (But loving it so far:)!)

Last edited:
Welcome to QuadraphonicQuad. You will find many experts here on almost any facet of 4 channel sound reproduction.

In answer to your first question, it is possible that you have a dirty pot that develops a high resistance once in a while. Get yourself a can of De-Oxit or other good contact cleaner and give the pots a good cleaning.

As for your second question, no, I don't think you would be wasting DAC in this unit, since this unit has a good frequency response.

I am sure others will join in on this discussion as the find time.

Good luck,

MTGC
Michael

How dow these x001 QS respond to Tube DAC input?

Vario-Matrix decoders pass the control path signal through a high-frequency/low frequency roll-off and a kinda inverse of the Fletcher-Munson Curve so that the Vario-Matrix will respond to and enhance only those frequencies that we are most directionally sensitive to. Since the roll-off and inverse curve are all in the control-path of the Vario-Matrix they don't affect the main signal path and all sounds are passed with the maximum fidelity the unit is capable of.

(the Low-frequency roll-off is to reduce intermodulation distortion and the HF roll-off is to prevent the Vario-Matrix from being 'steered' by noise and other high-end junk, like the pilot-tone of an improperly filtered FM Stereo broadcast.)

Back